ADVERTISEMENT

Hmmmmmmmm . . . I wonder

gocds

15000+
Gold Member
Jun 13, 2001
how many of my fellow UofL fans that are outspoken about Coach Petrino's possible involvement in this latest "scandal" were opposed to his rehire three years ago. Perhaps they are seeing this as an opportunity to "get rid of him". You can count me as one that supported his rehire and that continues to support CBP. I do not, of course, approve of his actions prior to that moment but I do believe in 2nd, and even 3rd, chances. I think he is a changed man and has made the very real effort to show that change. My attitude is that if his Lord and, indeed, his family can forgive him then . . .

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

how many of my fellow UofL fans that are outspoken about Coach Petrino's possible involvement in this latest "scandal" were opposed to his rehire three years ago. Perhaps they are seeing this as an opportunity to "get rid of him". You can count me as one that supported his rehire and that continues to support CBP. I do not, of course, approve of his actions prior to that moment but I do believe in 2nd, and even 3rd, chances. I think he is a changed man and has made the very real effort to show that change. My attitude is that if his Lord and, indeed, his family can forgive him then . . .

Good question, but one I really don't care to know the answer to. There is only 1 person who Petrino has to keep happy outside his family and that is Tom Jurich. We the fans can complain, disagree, whine, bitch, and cry all we want. It doesn't matter. As long as TJ is happy with his coach, his coach will have a job. End of story.

Last edited:
Reactions: WKCard and gocds
I completely supported his re hire, and I'm not saying to fire him now.

He, we all knew with him coming in that he would have to walk on egg shells because he's the biggest target in college football due to his past transgressions.

IF he did know about this, he missed a golden opportunity to clean up his image quite a bit. Just turn the info over to Jurich and let Jurich handle it with Wake. Petrino looks like a truly changed man to the nation when the story breaks. As it stands now, his image is worsened.

I was a backer of Petrino 100%. The moment Charlie took the Texas gig, I was ready to go pick up Bobby in Bowling Green myself. Regarding his involvement in Wakeyleaks, if he wanted to use unsolicited information to gain a competitive edge, I suppose I'm fine with it. There are many aspects of college football that aren't pleasant or pretty. It's an ugly, tough business at times. I don't love the thought of him using insider info, but if he would have chosen to not use it and then notify Wake Forest of a mole, I'd be cool with that, too. Of course, given the media's disdain for Petrino, he would then have been labeled a rat. The only real problem I have is the lying. Bobby was clear and precise when originally asked about it. He acted as if he had no idea what everyone was talking about. I'm having a hard time believing he didn't know.

I had a hard time believing Pitino didn't know anything either, but the investigation concluded that he didn't.

Perhaps the same is true here.

I will say that I know Petrino is pretty hands off when it comes to the defense. He lets Grantham run the show. Jurich's statement pretty much indicates Grantham knew. Doesn't mean Grantham told Petrino. Defense meeting in which the formations for a few trick plays are gone over: If you see this formation, watch for this. That could pretty much be the whole tale of it.

Doesn't matter if Petrino knew or didn't. Not sure why Kratz is holding him to a higher standard than any other coach who would have used the information the same way.

Are we going to trash Army for the same thing? Or are we going to concede the billion dollar business breeds this behavior and understand this industry has rules that don't fall in line with every day life?

Maybe because I expect ethical, good sportsmanship out of our staff? Is that really too much to ask?

If Army did it, yep. I hold them to an even higher standard. But I expect that if they did do it, and any of the persons involved are still on staff, they will be unemployed within 24 hrs of verification of their involvement.

I didn't care one way or the other. I just try to enjoy the product on the field and let Jurich worry about who he hires and fires. I only want to be a fan. The program's appearance, integrity, or lack of does not define ME as a person. It's not THAT important to my life. Don't misunderstand, I love my Cardinals but I'll be damned if I'm going to lose a bunch of sleep over crap I can't control. It's just not worth the hassle or high blood pressure.

When the hire was card fans knew what they were getting. Petrino is a brilliant offensive mind and he always seems to take marginal talent and give them tools to excel. You're always going to put up points and your qb play will always be solid.

However, bobby comes with a lightning rod. He has a negative reputation and rightfully so. As soon as jurich hired him he came back with 2 strikes from a public opinion standpoint. This was the reason that no other school would touch him. So you can't be surprised that this new scandal is getting so much play. It's a big deal no matter what program it is and what coach it is. But it's bobby petrino. Everything's amplified.

Reactions: zipp
I disagree that no other school was going to touch him. He was going to get another job. Hell, he had a job when we hired him back.

Art Briles will get another job too. What he did was much worse than anything Petrino did.

If this was kragdud, would there be this faux media outrage?

10 different threads on here about so called cheating and stupid scandal fatigue?

No, we'd be talking about recruiting and bowl prep.

Reactions: WKCard
I was against the hire, but don't think this is that big a deal. My wife does, but she's been a hater all along. :)

Whether it's right or wrong, we-all of us, have created this monster of big time college FB.

Where a guy and his family's well being are determined on how many friggin games he wins. And WE demand that he win.

But then WE are going to complain about his methods and how he does it?

Tough place to be throwing rocks.

I supported the hiring of CBP and I still support him. This whole thing is a little cloudy are they saying WF had a whole new set of plays for every opponent? Or did Eleod give everybody plays that you can get from watching game film anyway. I also think this will continue to grow in the number of schools Elrod contacted.

LOL! " a changed man." Thats funny right there, i don't care where you are from thats funny. Look at his history, something big is going to happen in Louisville. I hope not.

LOL! " a changed man." Thats funny right there, i don't care where you are from thats funny. Look at his history, something big is going to happen in Louisville. I hope not.

No, what's funny is that Butch Jones said his seniors won "the biggest championship- the championship of life". Have they been fitted for rings yet?

Reactions: WKCard
When the hire was card fans knew what they were getting. Petrino is a brilliant offensive mind and he always seems to take marginal talent and give them tools to excel. You're always going to put up points and your qb play will always be solid.

However, bobby comes with a lightning rod. He has a negative reputation and rightfully so. As soon as jurich hired him he came back with 2 strikes from a public opinion standpoint. This was the reason that no other school would touch him. So you can't be surprised that this new scandal is getting so much play. It's a big deal no matter what program it is and what coach it is. But it's bobby petrino. Everything's amplified.
I agree with everything you said. He can coach is AS$ off. To bad! Because i was really pulling for the CARDS to go all the way. I'm a VOL fan but TN needs a coach. Jones is in over his head. I think Jones is an Idiot and i would be the first to say i would be happy to see him leave the program so TN could hite a real football coach. Jones can go back to coaching high school.

No, what's funny is that Butch Jones said his seniors won "the biggest championship- the championship of life". Have they been fitted for rings yet?
I agree, that was funny. A Coach with enough talent to win the SEC EAST and lost to VANDY and SC.

I was against the hire, but don't think this is that big a deal. My wife does, but she's been a hater all along. :)

Whether it's right or wrong, we-all of us, have created this monster of big time college FB.

Where a guy and his family's well being are determined on how many friggin games he wins. And WE demand that he win.

But then WE are going to complain about his methods and how he does it?

Tough place to be throwing rocks.
HE GOT THE PLAYBOOK FROM WF and you think it is okay. You should go see Bobby, he may hire you.

That is a bunch of BS, he knew and the basketball coach knew. You don't have that kind of success and not know what is going on around the program. The basketball scandal was going on for a while and he knew nothing.

Well opinions are like UT assholes. Everybody has one and you are one for sure. Your ignorance is only overshadowed by your acting like a cayut fan. I was once told that ignorance is bliss: is it?

i didn't support his rehire, but i supported jurich
i don't support his removal, but i support this was the second to last straw as there is a slim chance of plausible deniability
i support the players
i support the cardinal bird

Good question, but one I really don't care to know the answer to. There is only 1 person who Petrino has to keep happy outside his family and that is Tom Jurich. We the fans can complain, disagree, whine, bitch, and cry all we want. It doesn't matter. As long as TJ is happy with his coach, his coach will have a job. End of story.
So are you saying TJ needs to be fired 1st?

When will we figure out that when we take football plays from WF, have football players in shoot out, Whores in the basketball program that we have a problem.
After being a UofL fan for more than 50 years I can not defend this trash.

Reactions: The Public Enemy
When will we figure out that when we take football plays from WF, have football players in shoot out, Whores in the basketball program that we have a problem.

^^^^
This!!

Will always support but can't defend...

So after 50 years you forget that a player was stabbed under Coach Schnellenberger.
A player was shot and paralyzed under John L.
Whoors are in ALL sports, college or pro.
Coaches take plays from all sources.
Quit being naive. You want a squeaky clean run program, go root for teams run by Angels.

Reactions: Cue Card and zipp
HE GOT THE PLAYBOOK FROM WF and you think it is okay. You should go see Bobby, he may hire you.
Hey short timer.

You forget to mention WF had our defense alignment cards (supposedly where the plays were) and didn't say a word until AFTER the game.

Had WF held on for the 12-10 win would we have ever heard about this?

Reactions: BPGhost
I agree with Kerry on this one. I was thinking if I took a fake playbook to any program in the country and told them it was a playboik of their next opponent how many would look through the book. Probably everyone of them with no exception. I would also like to point out that ESPN the one who crucifies people and programs the most has a culture of harassment among their female employees.
I wish people would start pointing out these things when something like this happens. I am like everyone else I am tired of hearing these stories but do I think we are corrupt or are we the only ones in this situation? Certainly not, I would like to find out more about the playbook it might not be as bad as it is being reported.

So are you saying TJ needs to be fired 1st?
What? I didn't say that. I said it's his job to do the hiring and firing and nothing else outside of that matters including your opinion. My opinion is equally worthless fwiw. It's Jurich's decision. Not mine and I'm not defending any of it. Just stating the freaking obvious.

Now if Jurich gets fired then he gets fired. It won't change my choice of athletic programs to support in the bad times as well as the good times. What we'll see come out of this is who really is a fan of the athletic programs and who just says they are.

...The only real problem I have is the lying. Bobby was clear and precise when originally asked about it. He acted as if he had no idea what everyone was talking about. I'm having a hard time believing he didn't know.
I have no problem when Petrino or any of our coaches lie to the media. The only problem I have is when they don't do it well. Petrino has never been good at that dating back to his first stint. But coaches lie to the media all of the time; it's part of the job.

The talking heads take umbrage because they think they're entitled to the truth. And they're not entitled. The only person deserving the absolute truth from Petrino professionally is Jurich. Where Petrino got in trouble his first time here was lying to Jurich as well--Petrino can never do that.

IF HE KNEW ABOUT IT, Petrino's gaffe after the Wake game was not an ethical issue. It was one of style or ability. You have to be able to tell people what you want them to know without the appearance of lying...

That is a bunch of BS, he knew and the basketball coach knew. You don't have that kind of success and not know what is going on around the program. The basketball scandal was going on for a while and he knew nothing.
Go suck on an orange Charlie Strong reject!

Hey short timer.

You forget to mention WF had our defense alignment cards (supposedly where the plays were) and didn't say a word until AFTER the game.

Had WF held on for the 12-10 win would we have ever heard about this?
Well i don't know anything about all that. I do know that Louisville did not need to take anything from WF to win that game.

Tennessee is a women's basketball school...not much in any sport this century.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT