ADVERTISEMENT

Heavy Cal

Can you imagine what that record would be if he had to coach in the ACC,Big Ten, or the Big 12 conferences.
The SEC since 2017 has been much better & you now notice that UK has struggled in the regular season a bit more over that period. Not a coincidence. And yes, if you go by numbers the SEC is a far cry from that year they went 38-1 in a conference with only 2 tournament bids.

It isn't like the old CUSA days and old SEC days where he can just coast.

I hate Cal and anything to do with UK, but the whole since 2015 line.......eh. For me you have to look at his record since '09. I know the example is to show his decline the last few years, but still.

I think UK will be pretty good next year. I can't explain this year's disaster other than youth without a leader during the chaos of COVID (think of how our season would be without hte leadership of Jones, for example). As much as UK fans want this to be the case, every team can't be loaded with Unibrows and John Walls; but, even with inexperience and a down year in elite recruits UK should be at least getting a few Top 25 votes and with a winning record.

The real tragedy for UK fans is that team that lost to Wisconsin in the finals. No way should they have lost that game. It's insanity to FARRR a sonofabeyitch for not going 40-0, though.

Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
I’ve always thought he’s good at player development. This OAD thing has just been marketing and an easy way out. His multi year guys have always been pretty solid, who was the big mountain white kid that ate on us that first time we played them at the Yum? Guys like that.

I remember his UMass team back in the 90’s was solid. Those Memphis State teams always had good players too.

It’s why I’ve lost respect for Coach K too. He’s the best coach ever, but went all in on this OAD crap because it’s easier than developing a team over 2 to 3 years. I’m glad this year is showing that you can’t just throw a bunch of freshman and win every year. College ball will never be the same, but hopefully ending OAD will make it much stronger and better basketball.

Look at Cal recruits playing in the NBA; not just on the roster, but major contributors. The level of talented depth explains his success.

I think UK will be pretty good next year. I can't explain this year's disaster other than youth without a leader during the chaos of COVID (think of how our season would be without hte leadership of Jones, for example). As much as UK fans want this to be the case, every team can't be loaded with Unibrows and John Walls; but, even with inexperience and a down year in elite recruits UK should be at least getting a few Top 25 votes and with a winning record.

The real tragedy for UK fans is that team that lost to Wisconsin in the finals. No way should they have lost that game. It's insanity to FARRR a sonofabeyitch for not going 40-0, though.
Without knowing what their roster is going to look like, nobody knows what they will be like next year. You’re getting caught up with their annual off season hype which is starting early this year.

Reactions: teamcanada
Cal’s Failure is in not winning more National Titles with all of that talent. Plus getting totally out coached (I.e. Wisconsin for. example) speaks volumes to knowledgeable basketball fans.

GO CARDS!!!

His strength is recruiting. Last class overall lacked high end 5 stars and he didn't land one of the studs there weren't many. His "system" appears reliant on bringing in elite guys.

Not going to say the shine is gone for good but top guys can go anywhere, and they are. UK has had it's share of transfers making them a bigger revolving door than others making the need for an alpha or two more demanding.

All these guys they have are good or good prospects but none are elite alpha ready.

Without knowing what their roster is going to look like, nobody knows what they will be like next year. You’re getting caught up with their annual off season hype which is starting early this year.

Well, true. I assumed most/all would be back because I don't see a 4-10 or whatever team sending a whole lot of guys to the NBA or even overseas for that matter.

Well, true. I assumed most/all would be back because I don't see a 4-10 or whatever team sending a whole lot of guys to the NBA or even overseas for that matter.

No crystal ball but it's a REALLY WEAK draft this year the nba drafts on potential not team remember Ben Simmons couldn't get LSU into the tourney. Factor in the growing trending of transfers and it's possible half or more of all teams get an overhaul and UK maybe more than others given their roster turnover history.

Mock boards are all over the place but Boston is still a top 20 pick on almost all and Jackson is in 1st round in several.

Gocds got it right. Can you imaging the flack Pitino would have got had he had the number of top 5 recruits and then underperformed. Calimari has one NC but he’s had top athletes year after year. But hey they get players into the NBA and if that’s what SuCk fans want then Cal’s their man.

Reactions: Deeva
Just me guessing, but I imagine that Kentucky will lose these guys from this year’s team.

Boston
Clarke
Mintz
Sarr
Jackson

very possibly
Brooks-G league
Ware-transfer
Fletcher-transfer

Allen, Askew, and Toppin all return. Imo

This draft is supposed to be great not weak

I looked it over after seeing your post I am for sure going to at least meet you half way I see more good prospects than I gave credit for. Good players and quite a few. You opened my eyes!

I think my perspective is skewed because the few games I see are overall played poorly and I maybe just haven't seen good prospects play much or at all.

Reactions: Deeva
Just me guessing, but I imagine that Kentucky will lose these guys from this year’s team.

Boston
Clarke
Mintz
Sarr
Jackson

very possibly
Brooks-G league
Ware-transfer
Fletcher-transfer

Yeah that looks probable. If he's pulling NBA All Stars it doesn't matter as much but when the reload is not with a few beasts maybe they are in trouble?

In basketball, talent is talent. You gotta recruit the top talent or have a good eye for it overall. I think Mack has brought in talented guys up and down the roster, but you have to

Rick always had really strong teams, but 2013 it's important to see the type of team we had. Sometimes stars don't mean everything, but we did have some really talented guys on that roster. He had some luck in guys returning and buying in and also certain guys developing the right way.

Siva-Senior McDonald's AA
Chane- Sophomore 5-star McDonald's AA
Blackshear-sophomore McDonald's AA
Trezl- Freshman, top 10,0 player
Kevin Ware-Sophomore, 4-star top 10 player
Dieng-Sophomore, Top 40/50 prospect

Add in Russ & Luke who out performed their rankings and added upperclass leadership

That was a very talented roster. They all returned fresh off a final four run. Added in Trezl who was the most underrated recruit in his class and is now a NBA star.

That's the beauty of college basketball, there isn't 1 forsure way to win a title. Talent gets you there, but so much is luck. You need to have guys buy into a system. You need to have the right guys return. You need a random guy or 2 step up and be a star. I mean how lucky were we to have Siva stay here for 4 years, kids today that are McDAA kids would have their eye on the door the second they get here. We can't even keep guys like Deng Adel for 4 years anymore.

Reactions: shadow force
I feel like college basketball is undergoing a major change. With the NBA reaching out to collect many of the elite, 1AD caliber players, teams will have to recruit in new ways.

It's interesting that several coaches who rely on the old model of recruiting at the elite schools are struggling this year. Maybe we'll look back in 10 years and say they struggled to transition in how they recruit the way Denny struggled to adopt the 3-pt shot.

I don't know what a new age recruiting phenom looks like. Someone will emerge like Pitino or Paul Westhead, who revolutionized the 3-pt shot. Who and where?

Hopefully Mack can see it coming and makes the right moves.

Boston
Clarke
Mintz
Sarr
Jackson

very possibly
Brooks-G league
Ware-transfer
Fletcher-transfer

I bet D Allen bails. Why stick around when you don’t get a fair shot?

Reactions: rh62531
Look at Cal recruits playing in the NBA; not just on the roster, but major contributors. The level of talented depth explains his success.
it's not as simple as that. most of cals recruits were higher rated players nationally before they came to UK and their draft stock dropped. there are a few exceptions of course. and UK players in the league generally take several years to get good because they do not know the nba game at all. in comparison, twice this year i've heard an nba game commentator specifically say how amazing it is that Villanova players come out ready for the nba. UK players are not and if you watch a lot of nba it's obvious. they usually can score some but cannot play D at all and end up being a liability. the lakers destroyed tyler hero last year in the finals even though he was scorign his +/- was horrible so while he looked great on the highlights was a liability. so while the uk recruits eventually get good, cal had nothing to do with it. his dribble drive system doesn;t work for the nba and they don;t play team D much, mostly man to man and usually uk players are bigger taller faster than their opponenets so easy to play d. different story in the nba where they are now jsut average height speed and qucikness. so while his players get drafted becasue of exposure recent years have shown you can get drafted higher by going to a lesser school. markel fultz went #1. simmons went to lsu and #1. bennet went #1. uk players are not even top 10 picks anymore. players now realize they get get a better draft position by going to smaller schools and being the focus. cal's days are over and he's shown he's not an in game coach so unless he pulls the greatest center in the last 50 years of college basketball he will jsut be a 20-10/elite 8 coach every year. great for any SEC team, but not UK

Cal’s system is completely reliant on high end guard play. They run very little offensive sets for a reason. He doesn’t have time.

Early on he had literally his pick on the fulfilling his roster. He had the Saban pitch you will be practicing everyday against the best. They had legit depth. The problem was he only played 5-7 players. He said it this year I really only want a 7 man rotation. He is a victim of his own success. Players aren’t wanting to sit the bench or be role players.. Not only is he losing players to the NBA he is losing them to transfers. That is his problem.

The key has always been experienced players that has been in the program for 3-4 years. Not a bunch of transfers for 1 year. High attrition will hurt any program unless it is elite talent replacing it. He doesn’t have that any more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT