ADVERTISEMENT

Harrell suspended 5 games for shoving ref

Yeah, not a good situation. I kind of gave him a pass when he lost his composure against WKU because he was surrounded by opposing players and MAYBE reacted out of fear. This time, a player pushed him first, but he should have just walked away and let the refs take care of it. He has to rise above that stuff.

Yeah, not a good situation. I kind of gave him a pass when he lost his composure against WKU because he was surrounded by opposing players and MAYBE reacted out of fear. This time, a player pushed him first, but he should have just walked away and let the refs take care of it. He has to rise above that stuff.
Why was this time different? He was also surrounded by players from the other team in this scenario. I think it's very likely he was fearful in this situation as well. To me, it's the same thing as at WKU. I don't think he pushed the ref on purpose. I think he was just trying to get out of a bad situation.

You are correct though. He needs to realize what environment he's in. He should let the officials handle it and not take matters into his own hands.

Reactions: JohnKBA
Five games was probably fair. He didn't punch the guy - a push is far less egregious than a punch/elbow. etc IMO. He's an emotional player and it was a split second reaction with a crowd around him after he had been pushed already.

I understand the heat of the moment and that the other player pushed Harrell first, but Trez has to be smarter than that. Some people already labeled him negatively after that WKU game and this will only hurt his reputation more among his colleagues/coaches. If he would've walked away there would either be no story or the story would simply be about the other guy. As it stands now, Trez is taking all of the negative press about it because his actions caused the referee to be knocked down.

Reactions: awf and JohnKBA
I understand the heat of the moment and that the other player pushed Harrell first, but Trez has to be smarter than that. Some people already labeled him negatively after that WKU game and this will only hurt his reputation more among his colleagues/coaches. If he would've walked away there would either be no story or the story would simply be about the other guy. As it stands now, Trez is taking all of the negative press about it because his actions caused the referee to be knocked down.

All true, but a bad reputation is not always a bad thing in the NBA. Sometimes you need an enforcer type... he just needs to harness and direct that frustration and aggression.

You guys are late.
SuCkS fans had this as breaking national news two days ago. Of course 'thug' and other derogatory names have already been accompanied.

All the while never callin cousins or rajon ronda 'thugs' for their roles in pshing refs.

You guys must be young. Fights, skirmishes, pushing, hard, flagrant fouls were the norm in the 70s and 80s in sports.

In Hockey fights are not only celebrated, rathet expected.

Trez will be just fine. He's showing he wont back down.

Reactions: Cue Card
You guys are late.
SuCkS fans had this as breaking national news two days ago. Of course 'thug' and other derogatory names have already been accompanied.

All the while never callin cousins or rajon ronda 'thugs' for their roles in pshing refs.

You guys must be young. Fights, skirmishes, pushing, hard, flagrant fouls were the norm in the 70s and 80s in sports.

One player, Bill Laimbeer. He would destroy any guard who came into his painted area that he claimed as his own. He had a pure mean streak in him, and he enjoyed hammering people who showed disrespect by having the nerve to cross into his turf.

Trez won't back down, but this is a much different game today. People tend to get bent out of shape more than they probably should over an incident like this one. In his defense, the opposing player pushed him first and he reacted. The ref simply got in the way. He'll learn but now he has been labeled as a hot head. He'll get quick whistles and technical fouls to keep him in check. Perception is everything.

You guys are late.

This is a great point. Trez is likely just trying to show he won't be pushed around or intimidated. Things like that go along way. If you set the tone early in your career, you make a name for yourself.

This is a great point. Trez is likely just trying to show he won't be pushed around or intimidated. Things like that go along way. If you set the tone early in your career, you make a name for yourself.

Yeah, getting suspended after pushing a ref is a great way to advance a career. Some of you all crack me up...

Reactions: Deli owl and awf
If you want to assert yourself to combat intimidation, you get every rebound and you dunk on dudes. You don't get it by getting into physical altercations that result in technical or suspensions. That is hurting, not helping, your cause and team. You become known as a guy who can be thrown off his game with physicality and you become a target for officials wary of your hothead reputation. There is not one single positive thing gained by his conduct. Rasheed Wallace and DeMarcus Cousins come to mind as guys who developed those reputations and their teams endured unnecessary difficulties due to numerous technicals and suspensions.

If you want to assert yourself to combat intimidation, you get every rebound and you dunk on dudes. You don't get it by getting into physical altercations that result in technical or suspensions. That is hurting, not helping, your cause and team. You become known as a guy who can be thrown off his game with physicality and you become a target for officials wary of your hothead reputation. There is not one single positive thing gained by his conduct. Rasheed Wallace and DeMarcus Cousins come to mind as guys who developed those reputations and their teams endured unnecessary difficulties due to numerous technicals and suspensions.

Youre missing the point. Trez DID NOT TARGET the ref. Players who push refs, usually do
after vehemently arguing a call. He was going after someone, and the ref stepped in very
quickly. His tunnel vision was focused on his opponent.

Legend Larry Bird had several ACTUAL fights, along with his constant trash talk. He
was NEVER labeled a thug or punk because of those actions.

ALL sports have fights, skirmishes, pushing, jaw jacking, bravado. Part of the game.

If Trez was playing for the Dallas Stars, this wouldnt even be a topic. The hypocrisy
of some you guys is astounding.

Youre missing the point. Trez DID NOT TARGET the ref. Players who push refs, usually do after vehemently arguing a call. He was going after someone, and the ref stepped in very quickly. His tunnel vision was focused on his opponent.

I think you misinterpreted my post. I agree with what you say above. I don't think he even realized it was an official he pushed (he wasn't even looking at that ref). My only reference to being a "target" was TREZ becoming a target of officials BECAUSE he was involved in a physical altercation (not because it was an official he pushed). And I don't think this single professional incident will skew official's perception of him. Having said that, it's his 2nd altercation in 3 years that was flagrant enough to result in a suspension, and "if" he continues to physically react in the same manner as these 2 incidents, he COULD begin to be seen as a player who officials need to keep a close eye on (target) in the same vein as Boogie and Rasheed. And finally, I definitely remember those rock 'em, sock 'em days of the NBA. I remember Kermit Washington permanently disfiguring Rudy Tomjanovich's face. And I remember Dr.J repeatedly punching Bird while Barkley held him. LoL! But those days essentially ended when the all out player/fans brawl occurred at the Palace in Detroit in 2004. You can still TALK trash, but once it becomes physical, you hurt your team, and draw unneeded future attention to yourself from referees.

Legend Larry Bird had several ACTUAL fights, along with his constant trash talk. He
was NEVER labeled a thug or punk because of those actions.

I have to disagree with that Kerry. I know several people who thought Larry Bird was a punk, myself included. He was a trash talking loud mouth punk of a basketball player. There were a bunch of players who played like pure punks back then and Larry Bird led the way.

Bird talked more ish than any other player in the game including Jordan and instigated dirty play all the time. Bird is not one of my favorite players because of the crap he pulled. I've never been a fan of his.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
I have to disagree with that Kerry. I know several people who thought Larry Bird was a punk, myself included. He was a trash talking loud mouth punk of a basketball player. There were a bunch of players who played like pure punks back then and Larry Bird led the way.

Bird talked more ish than any other player in the game including Jordan and instigated dirty play all the time. Bird is not one of my favorite players because of the crap he pulled. I've never been a fan of his.

That makes 2 of us. :D

Reactions: Cue Card

Bird wasn't even the dirtiest player on the team. McHale and Ainge were much dirtier than Bird, to the point of those 2 admitting they believed it was one of their team duties to protect Bird. Most stars back in the 80's would be considered dirty today, but at the time Bird took no more cheap shots, nor trash talked more than any other star, including Magic/Kareem.

Reactions: OneEarWonder
Bird wasn't even the dirtiest player on the team. McHale and Ainge were much dirtier than Bird, to the point of those 2 admitting they believed it was one of their team duties to protect Bird. Most stars back in the 80's would be considered dirty today, but at the time Bird took no more cheap shots, nor trash talked more than any other star, including Magic/Kareem.

I agree. It was part of the game, part of the culture. But like everything else, what worked then would not work now.the game and culture have changed. Some would say for the better, others for the worse. Much like the NFL changed, the NBA changed... and that is part of the reason is has grown the way it has.

One player, Bill Laimbeer. He would destroy any guard who came into his painted area that he claimed as his own. He had a pure mean streak in him, and he enjoyed hammering people who showed disrespect by having the nerve to cross into his turf.

Trez won't back down, but this is a much different game today. People tend to get bent out of shape more than they probably should over an incident like this one. In his defense, the opposing player pushed him first and he reacted. The ref simply got in the way. He'll learn but now he has been labeled as a hot head. He'll get quick whistles and technical fouls to keep him in check. Perception is everything.

I hated Laimbeer. That being said, I don't remember him ever putting his hands on a ref and puttying said ref on his azz?

I hated Laimbeer. That being said, I don't remember him ever putting his hands on a ref and puttying said ref on his azz?
Harrell wasn't even looking at who he pushed. ALL of his focus and anger was on the player who got up in his face and he was doing his best to get to that player. The ref who looked to be all of 5-10 and maybe 160 lbs got tossed out of the way like a dish rag. He had no business jumping in the middle like that in the first place. He's lucky he didn't get broken in half.

Now your boys Rondo and Cousins actually were focused ON the refs when they got into their altercations. I know, that's different. Right? I get it.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT