ADVERTISEMENT

Gus Malzahn Quote

Sultan__of__Swine

15000+
Gold Member
Aug 12, 2004
Saw this quote in an article yesterday:

As UCF regrouped to head home in the wee hours of Saturday morning, Louisville fans and players responded with raucous joy. That reaction was validation for what the Knights have accomplished as a program, going 35–4 from 2017–19. “You can tell the way they celebrated,” UCF coach Gus Malzahn said. “That was a big win for them.”

When I first read it my initial reaction was that he was patronizing us, but in all honesty I think the win was worthy of the fan/team's reaction given where UofL's football program has been over the past 3 seasons and how successful UCF has been during the same time frame. Just kind of hard having to come to that realization.

My guess is part of the jumping and going crazy came from HOW we won. Who wouldn't be jacked up after those two turns of events in the last minute of the game. Looking like we were going in for the kill, hten the INT, then looking like we gave them the win, to us taking it away in nearly the last play of the game! that is partly the reason for the elation and 2ndly we just hadn't had anything as a program to celebrate over the last year & half.

My guess is part of the jumping and going crazy came from HOW we won. Who wouldn't be jacked up after those two turns of events in the last minute of the game. Looking like we were going in for the kill, hten the INT, then looking like we gave them the win, to us taking it away in nearly the last play of the game! that is partly the reason for the elation and 2ndly we just hadn't had anything as a program to celebrate over the last year & half.
I thought we were all jacked long before that crazy series. IMO, as fans we did a great job of support after that 1st series of the game. I had visions of ugly fan Krag days at that time. But we grumbled and then our team showed us a few shining moments and then the shift came.

I thought we were all jacked long before that crazy series. IMO, as fans we did a great job of support after that 1st series of the game. I had visions of ugly fan Krag days at that time. But we grumbled and then our team showed us a few shining moments and then the shift came.
Sure we were jacked up during the game, I just thought Gus was talking about the elation at the end of the game. The fans were awesome not to jump ship after the first series both sides of the ball. PLUS I didn't see anyone leave when they intercepted Malik the play before.

Last edited:

As UCF regrouped to head home in the wee hours of Saturday morning, Louisville fans and players responded with raucous joy. That reaction was validation for what the Knights have accomplished as a program, going 35–4 from 2017–19. “You can tell the way they celebrated,” UCF coach Gus Malzahn said. “That was a big win for them.”

When I first read it my initial reaction was that he was patronizing us, but in all honesty I think the win was worthy of the fan/team's reaction given where UofL's football program has been over the past 3 seasons and how successful UCF has been during the same time frame. Just kind of hard having to come to that realization.

Actually Gus, it was two things:
1) This was a BLAST of a game that went from likely win to certain defeat to certain win over the course of 25 final seconds. That's crazy and anyone would be elated after that rollercoaster.
2) There was talk of firing Louisville's coach if Louisville loses. There was a lot of pressure on the staff and team. Lose to UCF, fire the coach. Lose to Bama, fire the coach. See a difference there? Gus shouldn't think so highly of his program if losing to him means we're a gonna FARRRRR that sonofabeyitch.

I’ve noticed when a coach loses, that mentality of “it means more to the other team” enters the arena. I don’t take offense. It makes that coach look pretty silly. Gus was demoted to UCF for a reason.

Reactions: gocds
All I know is it was a very exciting game from beginning to the end. It was a game that all the talking heads had us losing. It was a game everybody in the country was talking about because of how exciting it was. I watched ACC Network tonight and that was their number 1 highlight for the weekend games and they are still talking about how exciting the game was.

Reactions: FoxKnight and Deeva
Gus was using us to sell his program to their fans and recruits. Never mind that we weren't necessarily celebrating a win over UCF per se, but what we all saw as improvement in our program from where it's been in games 1 and 2.

But he was right to smoke em when he's got em.

I thought you acted like a fanbase should after a huge win? ND fans acted the same way after their team took down Clemson last season. We celebrate after huge wins; always have and always will. I would have been shocked if you guys behaved any other way. Did you guys hit their coach upside the head with the stupid pillow?

First world problem here...they were only selling can beer (no draft) on the Party Deck...and the beers I got weren't cold. I like COLD beer. Please keep myself and my wife in your prayers that Vince gets this fixed too. :(
And even though I enjoy my beer cold as well, I think I can find more important things to "pray" for. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Just kidding brother. Amen. :)

GO CARDS!!!

Fix your youthful fanbase. SCUM interactions with young alumni and students. 40+ was gracious. Breonna Taylor MOAT of your stadium sucks too. Alley was top-shelf. See you f a g g o t s in Jamlando next year if you can take the days off.
Yeah you are a classy sort aren't you. You are not like the rest of your fanbase whom seem to be classy and knowledgeable. Unfortunately we all have fools like you among our numbers.

GO CARDS!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT