ADVERTISEMENT

Grantham to the Raiders?

REDWAVEALERT

6000+
May 10, 2010
Dianna Russini of NBCSports is reporting the Raiders will interview Todd Grantham and he is the favorite.

Wish it could have waited until after signing day. Maybe if he somehow resigns it would be a big message to recruits.

He needs to come out and squash this real fast. 10 days before signing day with multiple recruits wavering. Terrible timing!

My gut feeling is if he is offered, he will accept. I just have a feeling he is more interested in coaching at the pro level than the college level. But, then again, I think he has a better chance of getting a HC gig at the college level.

I wonder what Ron English is doing these days. That would be a heck of a hire if Todd were to leave. But I agree, horrible timing! You really can't blame the guy though. It is the NFL...

IMO...He stays.

I think we all assumed this would/could happen once TJ & CBP threw $1mil/yr at him and he had the type of success he's had here.. He stays put for awhile unless his dream job opens up.

This is big time advertising for him. Being #1 on that list and saying "No Thank You"...hopefully, is awesome recruiting material. It's the DC that nobody wants that has always worried me.

Go Cards!

I see that he has a little bit of NFL experience as a defensive coordinator. I wonder how often does an NFL team hire a former college assistant to be a head coach.

Originally posted by dawg-n-pikeco:

gee...who saw this coming?...LOL...hope you find a competent coach as a replacement.
According to your brethren's forecasting last year when we hired him, he would probably be a candidate to be fired about now for his "incompetence"... not a candidate to possibly be hired by the NFL.

You saw Louisville's defense and you saw Georgia's defense on the same field...you really want him to stay?? Count yourselves lucky.

You saw Louisville's defense and you saw Georgia's defense on the same field...you really want him to stay?? Count yourselves lucky.
Let's put it this way, OUR Grantham lead defense finished the season ranked #6 in total defense. Georgia's Pruitt lead defense finished #17, allowing almost 30 more yds/gm, and 10 total TDs than UofL. So yeah...we want him to stay. Just as I assume you don't want to fire Pruitt just yet.

yes Georgia's went from 40 something to 17...oh and by the way you didn't play Ga Tech last year...that would have been another 400 yards rushing the Cards would have given up. One last point I'll make and then go about my way...Grantham is wanted by the RAIDERS...should be everything you need to know if that FINE organization wants Grantham.
In all seriousness the bowl game was fun and good luck finding a good coach for DC

yes Georgia's went from 40 something to 17...oh and by the way you didn't play Ga Tech last year...that would have been another 400 yards rushing the Cards would have given up. One last point I'll make and then go about my way...Grantham is wanted by the RAIDERS...should be everything you need to know if that FINE organization wants Grantham.
In all seriousness the bowl game was fun and good luck finding a good coach for DC
And Georgia didn't have to defend Gurley or Chubb.
wink.r191677.gif

I'm hoping to keep Grantham, but as I said above, I just have a gut feeling if offered, he will accept.

Thanks - Dawg fans were very gracious winners, and a pleasant group to be around at the Belk Bowl.

Our DC in waiting is already on the coaching staff. His name is Greg Brown, the former DC at Colorado and Arizona. My expectation would be that we would promote him and add an inside linebackers coach to replace Grantham.

These UGWho fans are just precious. That said, who the heck would want to go to the Raiders. It is the LPT of the pros, where coaches go to die. Just saying. I know the lurkers are alive and well...

Greg Brown would be an all time epic fail. Right there with klusterpoop. Give me a guy that can recruit Florida, period.

This post was edited on 1/27 5:49 AM by dldinatl

Grantham is a guy with NFL roots and I believe that is where his heart is. If the NFL is his dream then I don't hold it against him. Could be wrong. I am in the minority but I was not as impressed with Grantham as others. I firmly believe that he was left with a lot to work with when he got here. I also was not impressed with his inability to stop the bubble or tunnel screen by Clemson over and over or to slow the run game by Georgia. He is probably a better recruiter.

Originally posted by nccardfan:

Grantham is a guy with NFL roots and I believe that is where his heart is. If the NFL is his dream then I don't hold it against him. Could be wrong. I am in the minority but I was not as impressed with Grantham as others. I firmly believe that he was left with a lot to work with when he got here. I also was not impressed with his inability to stop the bubble or tunnel screen by Clemson over and over or to slow the run game by Georgia. He is probably a better recruiter.
There were games when I questioned his abilities. Those games were unfortunately against the big boys. I think the problems are more to do with a lack of depth. Our defense just wore out in the big games against the deeper teams.

Not that the defense wore out it was alot to do with the offense going 3 and out on to many occasions where the defense couldn't get the rest they needed between possessions. If the offense could have stayed on the field longer in the second half of the FSU game not saying they had to score, but eat up some clock yhe defense would have been fine.

According to sources in Bozich's recent column, Grantham wants to someday be an NFL Head Coach. If that is his goal then it would make sense for him to take the Raiders DC job. I guess we can still hope that his recent experience here was enjoyable enough to want to stay in the college game as opposed to his days coaching rich guys.

For someone like Grantham at his current age and with his previous NFL experience he might be able to land an NFL head coaching gig quicker than he could a big time college head coaching job.

Good luck to him either way. If he goes, he was great while he was here.

Ron English is a first class a$$. I used to see that clown ride his bike to the football complex down Eastern Parkway on the sidewalks. He would come up behind a person, man, woman or child and dog cuss for being in his way. True story. Saw it many times. Once when someone suggested he ride in the street he jumped off the bike and offered to kick the guy's butt. Ron English has earned every loss at is hands. What a d!ck and freakin' mediocre coach to boot.

Originally posted by dldinatl:
Greg Brown would be an all time epic fail. Right there with klusterpoop. Give me a guy that can recruit Florida, period.

This post was edited on 1/27 5:49 AM by dldinatl
You've already got Lamar Thomas and Terrell Buckley on the staff to recruit Florida. Plus, when you hire an LB coach to replace Grantham, you have the opportunity to hire an outstanding recruiter for whichever part of the country you want to focus on.

I don't see how anyone can justify that Greg Brown would be an epic fail for the DC job here at Louisville.

Well I am not going to argue about it. If you think our Florida recruiting is where it should be I can't change your opinion. Personally Petrino and his recruiting were my main concerns when he was rehired. So far I see nothing to put me at ease. I would say Randy Shannon would be my first phone call. Very nice person, great recruiter. The kids love him.

Originally posted by dldinatl:
Well I am not going to argue about it. If you think our Florida recruiting is where it should be I can't change your opinion. Personally Petrino and his recruiting were my main concerns when he was rehired. So far I see nothing to put me at ease. I would say Randy Shannon would be my first phone call. Very nice person, great recruiter. The kids love him.
This issue was addressed in a thread very recently. Link to thread below. Stats towards bottom.

https://louisville.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=658&tid=178362916&mid=178362916&sid=923&style=2

Just tweeted from Coach Grantham recruit G.G. Robinson:

@GGRobinson85: Just got off the phone with Coach Grantham! ⚫️ we straightttttttttt

Sounds like positive news on two fronts, Grantham and Robinson.

Originally posted by geo_joe:
Ron English is a first class a$$. I used to see that clown ride his bike to the football complex down Eastern Parkway on the sidewalks. He would come up behind a person, man, woman or child and dog cuss for being in his way. True story. Saw it many times. Once when someone suggested he ride in the street he jumped off the bike and offered to kick the guy's butt. Ron English has earned every loss at is hands. What a d!ck and freakin' mediocre coach to boot.
That's pathetic but it's a hilarious story. I am imagining this in my head and it makes me LOL.

My favorite Ron English story: Koach called a timeout while on offense and then proceeded to send 12 men onto the field after said timeout. Ron English gave Koach a verbal assault for that. Made me LOL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT