ADVERTISEMENT

Good win But...

RomanOben

One-Star Poster
Jan 1, 2020
This team is a long way from being above average. Here’s the more disconcerting part: I think we played about as well as we are capable of. Hit a ton of big threes and obviously you can’t always depend on that.

Yeah, this team doesn’t get you excited about anything except the grit of Sutton and the emergence of David Johnson.

The good news is that college basketball is experiencing a year where there’s rarely been a more ordinary bunch at the top. Hence, we are ranked in the top 15.

I just still don’t see this as a team that can put 6 tough games together in March. Heck idk about 4.

But it’s January, not March. Still time to show something. Saturday will be a great test.

Yeah, this team doesn’t get you excited about anything except the grit of Sutton and the emergence of David Johnson.

The good news is that college basketball is experiencing a year where there’s rarely been a more ordinary bunch at the top. Hence, we are ranked in the top 15.
Sutton is by far my favorite player on this team. If he was 4 inches taller, he would be a lottery pick. His grit, determination, and desire to compete is why I like him so much. Wish we had 5 more just like him. We wouldn't lose a game.

This team is a long way from being above average. Here’s the more disconcerting part: I think we played about as well as we are capable of. Hit a ton of big threes and obviously you can’t always depend on that.
Go ask Duke how hard it is to win on the road. They got kicked to the curb by Clemson tonight..

I agree we're probably not playing up to our potential but at least we're winning while trying to work things out.. As Mack said postgame, we wouldn't have won this game last year..

I kind of like where we are right now, we are still figuring things out but we are winning on the road. We have the pieces it is just a matter of time and I don’t want to peak to early and flame out at the end. Being ranked 11th keeps us from getting the big head but we are still getting our opponents best shot. I also thought CCM did a good job on substitutions tonight all at the right time.

Reactions: earsky and Cue Card

Who IS above average right now? Are Butler, Auburn and Gonzaga really Top 5 teams or are they just Top 5 because of their relatively weak schedules? There is so much parity in the sport this year, anyone can win on a given night. Every night you see Top 25 teams going down in real head-scratchers. We're not elite, but who is?

Who IS above average right now? Are Butler, Auburn and Gonzaga really Top 5 teams or are they just Top 5 because of their relatively weak schedules? There is so much parity in the sport this year, anyone can win on a given night. Every night you see Top 25 teams going down in real head-scratchers. We're not elite, but who is?
Not one single team is elite

Kansas kinda has the best resume, but they haven’t looked amazing.

Michigan State has look good at times and then has had some awful losses

Duke loses to Clemson & Stephen F Austin. But they have some decent wins.

Ohio State was the darling team, but they’ve fallen back a bit in Big Ten Play

Kentucky? Evansville and Utah anyone? But then have beaten us and Michigan State? They haven’t looked that good.

Auburn hasn’t played anyone, but they’re undefeated. And with the awful losses nationwide this year? That’s saying something.

Baylor I guess has looked elite, but we’ll see how long that lasts.

The thing about us is that I still haven’t seen a great performance on both ends of the floor where I can say “wow if we lock in and play like that in March we can win”. If what we seen is the highest level we can play, I’m not sold. Other teams have had some peaks and valleys, but I’ve seen some of them hit another gear. We haven’t had a bad loss, but I haven’t seen a great win (Michigan maybe, but we played awful on offense). Are we a low ceiling and high floor team? That’s how it looks now.

but things can change in the next month

Reactions: Cue Card and PHCARD
That game was definitely not the best we can play
I don't think there's any question about that. But there's a big question for me about whether this team will ever achieve its potential. The biggest issue IMO rests on our shoulders...

Reactions: RomanOben
Really are no excuses for this team. They have plenty of experienced players to get the job done. We do need a couple of the frosh to step up and right now that looks to be David Johnson and Sam Williamson.

David probably would be starting by now had it not been for his shoulder injury. He's bigger than most point guards and has explosive hops. He sees the floor well, but like most frosh, he makes dumb mistakes at times.

I don't think there's any question about that. But there's a big question for me about whether this team will ever achieve its potential. The biggest issue IMO rests on our shoulders...
100% my friend.

And it’s reaching that “next level” that you need to see from a great team. Not all can win a title in a 1 game scenario, but it’s reaching a level of play where you feel good about their chances.

I haven’t seen us bust through that door yet in a game. Urgency on both ends of the court. Crisp and clean offensive execution and ball movement.

And this is a team where really none of them have been contributors for a NCAA tournament win either, so we really don’t have a track record to rely on yet either. Mack hasn’t made a Final Four yet, so we really can’t just assume yet “he’ll get it right” like we felt with Rick’s teams.

Does that mean we can’t be great? No, we can do it but we need to see it first. This team is riding off preseason rankings and that win against UNC a year ago. It’s time for them to make their own mark.

Thats why we aren’t 100% on this team yet and are a bit overly worried, because we just don’t know yet what to expect. But we have talent, College basketball is down, and we have great fans to cheer them along the way.

Mid January with 3 losses to UK, t.tech, Fla.St.ill take it.when is the last time we were in this position? Plus you can plainly see key players we knew we would need starting to find their groove. We may never reach great status but I absolutely believe that if our guards continue to improve we can cut the nets down

Mid January with 3 losses to UK, t.tech, Fla.St.ill take it.when is the last time we were in this position? Plus you can plainly see key players we knew we would need starting to find their groove. We may never reach great status but I absolutely believe that if our guards continue to improve we can cut the nets down
So why is your board name "ibleedblue1973" and you seem to be a UofL fan ?

Reactions: KozmasAgain

I like your posts but I think we'd both agree the team clearly did not peak @ Pitt. With Mack starting to tinker his rotations and guys showing some fire the arrow is pointing up.

Reactions: Sawyer
Not buying it. A win AT DUKE when they're ranked in the top 5 is huge. The ONLY thing I'd have to complain about is that Nwora is starting to show a pattern of not stepping up in big games on the road. UK and Duke being the prime examples.

Just won 3 road games in a row, including beating Duke and people want to gripe............o_O

Just think of where we were two years ago. I don't know how anyone can help but be proud.

How much of Nwora's struggles in big games are because he's getting the other team's best defender, and on a good team that defender is going to be pretty good? Also double teams.

To me it's good to see other guys stepping up. One sign of a really good team is that different guys can pick up the scoring slack on a given night.

The positive continues to be that we don’t have a single bad loss on the resume.

As of now I’d say we are 2-3 against good opponents. Undefeated against average or bad opponents. In this year’s down NCAA, that’s all that matters.

We really need a good seed and a good draw. I don’t think we are a team that plays down or gets upset, but I’d have to be a 3 or 4 seed and have to fight through a few tough games to get to the Final 4.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT