ADVERTISEMENT

Good Lord Tell Me This Is A Joke

No Idea Reaction GIF by SomeGoodNews

Sorry boys. This team played respectable basketball this weekend. An embarrassingly bad coach with an $8 million buyout and his equally bad team was competitive on a national stage.

He’s gonna need to revert back to the much sorrier version of himself for Year Three to not materialize.

The only question is does this performance continue. If you’re through with Payne, you better hope not…

Reactions: glassmanJ
Sorry boys. This team played respectable basketball this weekend. An embarrassingly bad coach with an $8 million buyout and his equally bad team was competitive on a national stage.

He’s gonna need to revert back to the much sorrier version of himself for Year Three to not materialize.

The only question is does this performance continue. If you’re through with Payne, you better hope not…
Heird did so well handling the Satt situation. Hopefully he can figure out a good exit here. Seems unlikely though.

It’s really unfortunate for Payne that his team played 75 minutes of respectable ball and yet he manages to look completely clueless as a coach.

I hope he didn’t say that or at least didn’t say it out loud. Any decent coach should always be prepared with a zone offense and expect to see a zone.

Again, to be fair, there were a times when they got a few decent looks out of it. Their offense has so much dribbling that when a team switches to zone… they look confused.

All that said, they looked like a decent team in the last two games and have proven they have enough talent to compete and win games.

That is a remarkable admission for KP to say publicly. The other coach tricked me? I didn't see any flea flickers out there on the floor. I saw a rather passive 2/3 zone.

It's like he's saying he talked to Coach Woodson before the game and was promised no zone defense.

It's stuff like this that also shows the man is not qualified to run a basketball program. I think we will see much better results this season because we have some very good ballplayers, but KP I'm afraid is going to cost victories due to his inexperience at making decisions in a competitive game.

There are really only two defenses you have to practice against, man and zone. You practice against both. That not only teaches your team how to play against them but also how to play them yourselves. I wonder if he sh!t himself a little when he saw it. I can picture Jim carrey in dumb and dumber sitting in a bathroom stall sucking on his thumb. Find a happy place.

Reactions: LouisvilleKid79
Aren’t there different zone defenses?…
Yes, if true, I think this is what makes the comment even more strange/odd. I could see if it was a 1-3-1 trapping zone or some gimmicky zone you don’t see often. Some would even argue you should be somewhat prepared for that. A generic and not well run 2-3 zone though… every coach should be prepared for.

Highlights the larger issues with their offense in general for me. More ball and player movement and less dribble drive will better prepare them for any defense.

Reactions: Art79 and rh62531
Kenny Payne says, he tricked me.
WTF? No he didn't. He out- coached you. With the most common zone defense you will ever see. Something that every coach should be prepared for. Just not ours. Yea a defense used first in 1914. I never thought I would hear a coach call a 2-3 zone a trick 110 years later.

Last edited:

They went 0-2!!!! We are 2-3!

That’s the past. IF they play most of their games like they’ve played the last two, there are more wins on the schedule…
it's all about confidence now, did they gain some this past weekend, or did yesterday push them back again? but the reality is, we just faced two tough teams, one a top 20 team, had them both beat but just didn't know how to finish (how could they with no experience to build on). that's actually not a bad start compared to last year and provides some insight that they can play together as a team. 100% agree w/ zipp, this weekend gave a glimpse of hope and thus he'll be year for the entire year. but i guarantee there's not a single person on this board who didn't expect 20-30 point losses in both games and for us to have absolutely no clue how to compete. instead, we're talking about in game adjustments for the win. imagine if TX doesn't make the last second shot and we beat them, completely different thread here. they were that close to absolutely blowing your mind and you freaking out jumping for joy. that close. baby steps, people, baby steps. you may hate KP right now but the fact is the team showed improvement and that they've bought into something. let's see if there's more progression because if there is any, year three is guaranteed too. gotta let the cake bake...

it's all about confidence now, did they gain some this past weekend, or did yesterday push them back again? but the reality is, we just faced two tough teams, one a top 20 team, had them both beat but just didn't know how to finish (how could they with no experience to build on). that's actually not a bad start compared to last year and provides some insight that they can play together as a team. 100% agree w/ zipp, this weekend gave a glimpse of hope and thus he'll be year for the entire year. but i guarantee there's not a single person on this board who didn't expect 20-30 point losses in both games and for us to have absolutely no clue how to compete. instead, we're talking about in game adjustments for the win. imagine if TX doesn't make the last second shot and we beat them, completely different thread here. they were that close to absolutely blowing your mind and you freaking out jumping for joy. that close. baby steps, people, baby steps. you may hate KP right now but the fact is the team showed improvement and that they've bought into something. let's see if there's more progression because if there is any, year three is guaranteed too. gotta let the cake bake...
Let’s be honest here. zipp’s only hope is that this situation will linger into another year so that he can be further “amused” by the continued turmoil that it creates.

I think Zipp's just pointing out there's no guarantee there's a new HC next year. And he does do a fair job of explaining why you might get KP for year 3.

It's just so early in the season it's hard to say. And we don't know who is making the decisions, what criteria they are using to make those decisions, etc.

Josh appears to be a messenger putting out the word for whoever behind the scenes is calling the shots.

Reading about rumors everywhere. Just gotta wait it out.

I would only take issue with the part where you are claiming the team is equally as bad as the "embarrasingly bad coach" part of this.

Last year's team yes. This team, not in that area code. But it's still early in the season, and I'm not making any predictions either.

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
I will say this, it may be too early, but we are still 2-3 with one of the wins vs literally the worst team in college basketball. If we go 3-3 or worse the next 6 games, I will guarantee a single digit win total for season. If thats thats the case there is NO WAY IN HELL he gets a 3rd year!

Let’s be honest here. zipp’s only hope is that this situation will linger into another year so that he can be further “amused” by the continued turmoil that it creates.
Get the story right… My amusement is over the angst it causes some FANS. Winning doesn’t cause U of L or Josh Heird any heartburn. Nor myself.

How do self proclaimed fans cheer against their team, then try to fan card check others? Funny as hell…

Upcoming non conference games with Ken Pom ratings. How many do we win?

NM State (212)
Bellarmine (227)
Depaul (167)
Ark State (170)
Pepperdine (164)

Get the story right… My amusement is over the angst it causes some FANS. Winning doesn’t cause U of L or Josh Heird any heartburn. Nor myself.

How do self proclaimed fans cheer against their team, then try to fan card check others? Funny as hell…
Oh - the story is spot on and its not a fan card check at all. You appear to get your jollies from negativity in general but specifically when it has to do with the UofL athletics department.

To suggest otherwise is simply laughable.

NM State (212)
Bellarmine (227)
Depaul (167)
Ark State (170)
Pepperdine (164)
Good question. I still don't really know what to expect from this team game to game. If they play like they did in NY then they'll beat most of those teams I think.

However with the coaching being so inept they could go 2-3. Let's remember they got lucky against UMBC and won by 1 point. Their only other win was against one of the worst D1 teams around. They got blown out by Chattanooga.

NM State (212)
Bellarmine (227)
Depaul (167)
Ark State (170)
Pepperdine (164)
If the rankings are accurate (incl U of L at 147), most of them...

2-3 disappointing
3-2 acceptable
4-1 great
5-0 no chance

If the rankings are accurate (incl U of L at 147), most of them...

2-3 disappointing
3-2 acceptable
4-1 great
5-0 no chance
You don’t see us going 5-0?

Not sure where the “If the rankings are accurate” part comes from in your statement because with the numbers reported in the post that is a possibility.

Not sure I understand what you’re saying. I don’t buy us going 5-0 either, but the rankings would.

You don’t see us going 5-0?

Not sure where the “If the rankings are accurate” part comes from in your statement because with the numbers reported in the post that is a possibility.

Not sure I understand what you’re saying. I don’t buy us going 5-0 either, but the rankings would.
It's about uncorrelated probabilities. If we're 90% likely to win each game on average, the probability that we go 5-0 is around 60%.

If we're 80% likely to win each game, the probability of 5-0 is 33%.

I think our "advantage" against those teams is much closer to 80 than 90%, if it's that high...

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
It's about uncorrelated probabilities. If we're 90% likely to win each game on average, the probability that we go 5-0 is around 60%.

If we're 80% likely to win each game, the probability of 5-0 is 33%.

I think our "advantage" against those teams is much closer to 80 than 90%, if it's that high...
It’s why it doesn’t pay parlay your bets ;). One of the high probability outcomes can be messed up. Makes sense

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
Read the threads in this space on a daily basis. It’s the “Fire Payne” crowd, the “fans” who have their minds made up. You think this is breaking news?…
Given that you have consistently advocated for the ouster of each of the last two AD’s - does that mean that you are / were also cheering against teams as well?

I understand - given your singular adherence to your “clown show” narrative - that it might be difficult for you to comprehend how fans can cheer for the success of the team(s) while also believing that the HC is not up to the task.

As I’ve pointed out before - nuance is not your strong suit…

Given that you have consistently advocated for the ouster of each of the last two AD’s - does that mean that you are / were also cheering against teams as well?…
Why are you worried about what I think?
…I understand - given your singular adherence to your “clown show” narrative - that it might be difficult for you to comprehend how fans can cheer for the success of the team(s) while also believing that the HC is not up to the task…
I didn’t say anything about “believing that the HC is not up to the task.” I may think that as well. Has nothing to do with openly rooting against your own team to win. You’re conflating two different issues, predictably…

Why are you worried about what I think?

I didn’t say anything about “believing that the HC is not up to the task.” I may think that as well. Has nothing to do with openly rooting against your own team to win. You’re conflating two different issues, predictably…
As Hop asked, who’s openly rooting against their own team?

Just another straw man argument to deflect from your outlandishly bad takes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT