ADVERTISEMENT

Goldwire, Hawkins, Character and Etheridge;

73Card

1500+
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2006
Goldwire took more plays " off " last year than any other player I can recall in recent memory. The guy literally went full speed less than half the time he was on the field, resulting in getting benched more than once. Yet, he doesn't think another year would improve his position in the draft ? Maybe actually playing with consistent effort this year might get him drafted.
The other 3 now all undrafted FA could also have improved or at the least not hurt their draft chances by returning as well.
Have to wonder who is advising these guys?

Hawkins needed to go regardless if he was being drafted, another year would not have changed much.

The other guys could've used another year, but then again 1 more year of classes and practices versus being paid may have something to do with their decisions. Imagine how restricted they were this year due to COVID. They did not get to have a fun college experience, while also still being treated like a kid being told what to do.

Honestly, it's time to just let this class of 2021 get on to campus and change the culture. We may lose talent with the older guys, but we need to get this better talent ready to go ASAP. May struggle playing younger guys this year, but it'll pay off in 2022 and 2023. Bye to the Bobby era guys and bye to the grad transfer hole fillers.

This is probably the standard across the country, some guys turning pro going undrafted or just getting into the transfer portal? Fans probably need to enjoy these collegiate careers at their fav schools while they last, and not read too much into the players exit strategy. Same goes for coaches.

Sucks to say, but you will get for sure 2 years out of these kids and their 3rd year if they get nicked up or team is mediocre, shut it down and get ready to try and go pro. College athletics are not heading a great direction!!

Must disagree Lefors; 73Card has it right ...... these kids each made a mistake leaving early. Hawkins hurt himself the most, as there was no indication at any time during the season that he was coveted by any NFL team. His decision to leave UL before the season even ended was a pretty strong signal that whoever was “in his ear” was horribly misguided.

The process used by the NFL GMs in qualifying these kids is so sophisticated, that provided the athlete is listening to thsir HC with NFL contacts, there is a very high percentage of knowing who is “ready or not”. Conversely, the agents are the most unreliable sources, as they have everything to gain by signing as many kids as possible, while they have absolutely nothing to lose by encouraging the kids to leave early.

I am not privy as to the relationship that CSS had with Hawkins, but his decision to leave before the regular season ended, suggests to me that it dissolved at some point before he left. Undrafted free agents without a college degree have a tough road ahead.

I do wish him the best, but his leaving before the season ended tells me that he lacks maturity ......something that NFL GMs consider before making draft selections.

Must disagree Lefors; 73Card has it right ...... these kids each made a mistake leaving early. Hawkins hurt himself the most, as there was no indication at any time during the season that he was coveted by any NFL team. His decision to leave UL before the season even ended was a pretty strong signal that whoever was “in his ear” was horribly misguided.

The process used by the NFL GMs in qualifying these kids is so sophisticated, that provided the athlete is listening to thsir HC with NFL contacts, there is a very high percentage of knowing who is “ready or not”. Conversely, the agents are the most unreliable sources, as they have everything to gain by signing as many kids as possible, while they have absolutely nothing to lose by encouraging the kids to leave early.

I am not privy as to the relationship that CSS had with Hawkins, but his decision to leave before the regular season ended, suggests to me that it dissolved at some point before he left. Undrafted free agents without a college degree have a tough road ahead.

I do wish him the best, but his leaving before the season ended tells me that he lacks maturity ......something that NFL GMs consider before making draft selections.
Most things I read said his size was the issue. I don't know what 1 more year would've done for him, not to mention we haven't been great at blocking and our playcalling was bad this year.

I look at it from a position of "if it was my kid" and small running-backs always go. You don't see guys like him return. You return if a scout says "lets see if he can work on his route running or pass catching" not "I'm not sure if a guy his size will hold up". If that's the case, then why risk 1 more year of hits on your body when you're not getting paid to do it? It's not like offensive line or QB's who have a longer shelf life, running-backs have the shortest shelf life in the nfl. You may see 1 year as just 1 year, but that's a lot of money and time for a back like him that won't be an every down back. One more year of miles on the body he won't get back.

I mean look at it from his perspective. He takes all the hits and is risking his body. He sees his first coach get $14 million for just not doing his job and trying to get fired. He sees his 2nd coach get paid nicely, but then talk with another team and try to get a bigger contract. One bad hit and he'd have 0 draft stock. 1 more year wouldn't change the minds of scouts for him. Runningbacks have a clock, 1 year older for him makes him less desirable.

I'd guess Benjamin Franklin is the most popular advisor for these guys.
Worked at well. They are now all unsigned, undrafted free agents. Just how many unsigned, undrafted, free agents actually make a NFL roster?

Most things I read said his size was the issue. I don't know what 1 more year would've done for him, not to mention we haven't been great at blocking and our playcalling was bad this year.

I look at it from a position of "if it was my kid" and small running-backs always go. You don't see guys like him return. You return if a scout says "lets see if he can work on his route running or pass catching" not "I'm not sure if a guy his size will hold up". If that's the case, then why risk 1 more year of hits on your body when you're not getting paid to do it? It's not like offensive line or QB's who have a longer shelf life, running-backs have the shortest shelf life in the nfl. You may see 1 year as just 1 year, but that's a lot of money and time for a back like him that won't be an every down back. One more year of miles on the body he won't get back.

I mean look at it from his perspective. He takes all the hits and is risking his body. He sees his first coach get $14 million for just not doing his job and trying to get fired. He sees his 2nd coach get paid nicely, but then talk with another team and try to get a bigger contract. One bad hit and he'd have 0 draft stock. 1 more year wouldn't change the minds of scouts for him. Runningbacks have a clock, 1 year older for him makes him less desirable.
I understand what you are saying and it's not wrong. I guess what I would say is this. We have few offensive weapons - go to guys this year. Hawkins may have been that guy and although unlikely could have had a break out year and in the process catching the attention of some scouts. Possibly, resulting in being a mid to late round draft pick. Unlikely, sure but what are the odds of making a roster as an undrafted free agent?

Yes LeFors, I had heard the same thing about Javian as well all year; NFL questioning his size, but his durability was equally disconcerting. There have been other small RBs who are get drafted, and some have enjoyed lengthy NFL careers. Hawkins showed speed, surprising strength and excellent balance, but he struggled over the course of the season remaining uninjured and that is why I felt like he needed to demonstrate that he could be a feature running back, and avoid injury.

It really does not matter that I think that he needed to return, or that he left ....... my concern is that UL's staff and resources had insufficient influence to help this kid from making a life-changing mistake. There was zero belief from his coaches that he was going to be drafted, and yet he follows the voice of an agent before the season is even over.

4 or 5 years of college is no assurance of an NFL career, or even getting drafted, but at least they leave with a degree.

Reactions: gocds
Yes LeFors, I had heard the same thing about Javian as well all year; NFL questioning his size, but his durability was equally disconcerting. There have been other small RBs who are get drafted, and some have enjoyed lengthy NFL careers. Hawkins showed speed, surprising strength and excellent balance, but he struggled over the course of the season remaining uninjured and that is why I felt like he needed to demonstrate that he could be a feature running back, and avoid injury.

It really does not matter that I think that he needed to return, or that he left ....... my concern is that UL's staff and resources had insufficient influence to help this kid from making a life-changing mistake. There was zero belief from his coaches that he was going to be drafted, and yet he follows the voice of an agent before the season is even over.

4 or 5 years of college is no assurance of an NFL career, or even getting drafted, but at least they leave with a degree.
Sometimes I wonder about the”why’s” of these decisions. Does his family need his financial input, or maybe he simply doesn’t like or want to do the schoolwork required. Whatever the reason these kids need to learn to listen and work toward a positive outcome that will have a positive impact on the rest of their lives. I just don’t see these “decisions” as a positive. Is UofL providing the information and environment to assist these young people in their decision making process? I certainly hope so and maybe someone with more knowledge will speak to us about this.

GO CARDS!!!

There are some unique situations where financial hardship could persuade a young person to sacrifice their long tern future in exchange for immediate economic aid, but I think that is often used more and an excuse rather than a need. If Javian, or any athlete can justify investing 1, 2 or 3 years in college without NFL money; it is difficult to understand why they cannot stay 1 or 2 more years and delay professional rewards while getting their degree.

I understand what you are saying and it's not wrong. I guess what I would say is this. We have few offensive weapons - go to guys this year. Hawkins may have been that guy and although unlikely could have had a break out year and in the process catching the attention of some scouts. Possibly, resulting in being a mid to late round draft pick. Unlikely, sure but what are the odds of making a roster as an undrafted free agent?
It's going to be on him and his work ethic. He has the talent, but needs to just show a team that his size won't matter. Generally teams get good looks at those backs in their own workouts & preseason.

Not to be so negative, but the likelihood of Hawkins playing on Sundays is very small. These young men need to finish college and obtain their degree; it is no guarantee of success, but it increases their chances of a meaningful career.

Not to be so negative, but the likelihood of Hawkins playing on Sundays is very small. These young men need to finish college and obtain their degree; it is no guarantee of success, but it increases their chances of a meaningful career.
Well any player can come back and get their degree at any time. It's paid for and he's been at UofL 3 years, so it's not like it will take much.

It’s true Lefors; they “can” come back and get their degree, but the reality is that most find reasons not to return.

The concerns that I have with this process is the manner in which Agents encourage the underclassmen to enter the draft without a real likelihood of being drafted. The Agents have everything to gain financially, and nothing to lose ......... it appeals to the ego of the young athletes when being told what they want to hear, rather than obtaining professional guidance from those without an agenda.

It is equally true that Hawkins returning to UL may not have resulted in being drafted next year either, but that is precisely what NFL feedback was recommending that he do. His decision to listen to his Agent was not in his best interest.

Obviously, listening to others, is a weakness “some” of us have. The vision of $$$ gets in a young man’s head and not much can convince him that he’s not ready for professional football or basketball. That’s just the way it is and getting a degree just isn’t on their plate.

GO CARDS!!!

Reactions: 2330859 and rh62531
Obviously, listening to others, is a weakness “some” of us have. The vision of $$$ gets in a young man’s head and not much can convince him that he’s not ready for professional football or basketball. That’s just the way it is and getting a degree just isn’t on their plate.

GO CARDS!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT