ADVERTISEMENT

Going Forward - NON COACH RELATED

CardVille

2500+
May 29, 2001
We have enough coach threads so lets not bring that up in this thread.

Here are my top 3 takeaways from the game:

1) Hall and Tre are the RBs. Hall was very shifty and has a quick burst. Had a fumble and dropped a long pass but overall did a good job rushing the ball against a defense that was packing it in the middle.

2) Our WRs are starting to catch the ball again. They were also beating the fast FSU defenders. That is a very good sign which brings me to ...

3) QB play still needs improvement. Pass had a great 1st half with 3 TDs but bogged down and started overthrowing wide open receivers in the 2nd. Would have loved to see Malik come in as a reliever. Still got to improve there for both. DO NOT USE TRAVIS. This season is a wash so dont burn up his redshirt or risk injury, let him get his practice reps and prep for next year.

I know what youre saying, however, You cant separate coaches from the players.

They recruit and teach the players.
They call the schemes and plays.

They played better but not good enough.
The offense needed 1 more TD in the 2nd half.

The defense needed to make that key stop.

Go Cards !

Agreed Kerry, and I would just add that FSU was getting pressure on Pass in the second half and three TD's that he missed on the post routes are b/c he simply wouldn't throw it to a spot and let the WR's run underneath it. If he can set his feet and throw, yeah he will take a hit, but thats part of being a QB in a route development offense.

Go Cards !
Appreciate the holding back, but let’s not hijack this thread to talk about coaching. If the
OP wants to talk personnel let’s do that. I’m very glad we showed signs of life in that department. The talent is definitely there. Mentally, I think we are very weak and that is the biggest concern.

Agreed Kerry, and I would just add that FSU was getting pressure on Pass in the second half and three TD's that he missed on the post routes are b/c he simply wouldn't throw it to a spot and let the WR's run underneath it. If he can set his feet and throw, yeah he will take a hit, but thats part of being a QB in a route development offense.

Does the QB watch instant film of his self while the Cards are on defense?
The QB coach and or OC can show him where he is going wrong, so they can correct it
during the game, and not wait till practice.
The HC makes sure his QB should be getting instructions and adjustments during the game.
Obviously not, with THREE missed potential TD passes.

Coaching makes the difference.

Appreciate the holding back, but let’s not hijack this thread to talk about coaching. If the
OP wants to talk personnel let’s do that. I’m very glad we showed signs of life in that department. The talent is definitely there. Mentally, I think we are very weak and that is the biggest concern.

You can only shield so long until it crumbles..........

1) Hall and Tre are the RBs. Hall was very shifty and has a quick burst. Had a fumble and dropped a long pass but overall did a good job rushing the ball against a defense that was packing it in the middle.

2) Our WRs are starting to catch the ball again. They were also beating the fast FSU defenders. That is a very good sign which brings me to ...

3) QB play still needs improvement. Pass had a great 1st half with 3 TDs but bogged down and started overthrowing wide open receivers in the 2nd. Would have loved to see Malik come in as a reliever. Still got to improve there for both. DO NOT USE TRAVIS. This season is a wash so dont burn up his redshirt or risk injury, let him get his practice reps and prep for next year.

Adding a 4th...

The secondary has a long way to go. Giving up way too much.

Reactions: Mayoman

3rd stringers probably run the scout team and get few practice reps.

Go Cards !

That mental weakness could be inexperience. As they gain confidence I think will see more play like the first half. What bothered me in the second half was the poor play calling. As stated by Jack in another thread we seemed to give up on the run.

Puma is still young and learning and I guess it’s clear that he’s not a Teddy or a LJ. We as a fan base will need to be patient, because I believe he has the talent but it may take some time.

We all knew this was a rebuild year. Whether it should be can be debated on another thread. But it is what it is. So I’m hoping they build on the first half performance. This team has 8 games to turn it around....stranger things have happened in sports!

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
That mental weakness could be inexperience. As they gain confidence I think will see more play like the first half. What bothered me in the second half was the poor play calling. As stated by Jack in another thread we seemed to give up on the run.

Puma is still young and learning and I guess it’s clear that he’s not a Teddy or a LJ. We as a fan base will need to be patient, because I believe he has the talent but it may take some time.

We all knew this was a rebuild year. Whether it should be can be debated on another thread. But it is what it is. So I’m hoping they build on the first half performance. This team has 8 games to turn it around....stranger things have happened in sports!
What? That’s not what Petrino said at the start of this season. We were going to be a better balanced offensive team with all of the receivers and running back options so we didn’t have to depend on just Lamar. Maybe that’s why a lot of fans are disappointed. He’s out of touch, much like Denny got in his later years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT