ADVERTISEMENT

FSU Mike Norvell Wins ACC COTY

It's hard to argue against undefeated, but folks pretty much expected FSU to be damn good this year. UofL was picked to finish 8th in the ACC, and here they are. Brohm should have won it, though, I'm sure he doesn't give a crap.
Unless there are bonuses in his contract for winning COY for him and his staff.

Reactions: Cardsfan62
let's see, undefeated team vs a 2 loss team and the two loss guy should get it? sorry nope, norvell deserves it.

let's see, undefeated team vs a 2 loss team and the two loss guy should get it? sorry nope, norvell deserves it.
Not necessarily. If you’re picked 8th and make the CCG vs picked first and finishing first, there is certainly an argument. Depends on if the award is for this year or takes into account what Norvell walked into when he took the job.

There is definitely something to being undefeated so it was easy for the voters to pick Norvell. However, had it been reversed, there's some doubt in my mind Brohm would have won. Say FSU was picked 8th and Norvell went 10 and 2, it wouldn't have been as easy because bringing FSU back to elite status would be a deciding factor.

And if Louisville was actually picked in the pre season to win the conference and went undefeated, I believe enough voters wouldn't like a untraditional ACC school to dominate everything. They would give Norvell the coach of the year to balance things.

I know it's a cynical way at looking at it, but the ACC has shown several times a bias against non traditional ACC schools.

There is definitely something to being undefeated so it was easy for the voters to pick Norvell. However, had it been reversed, there's some doubt in my mind Brohm would have won. Say FSU was picked 8th and Norvell went 10 and 2, it wouldn't have been as easy because bringing FSU back to elite status would be a deciding factor.

And if Louisville was actually picked in the pre season to win the conference and went undefeated, I believe enough voters wouldn't like a untraditional ACC school to dominate everything. They would give Norvell the coach of the year to balance things.

I know it's a cynical way at looking at it, but the ACC has shown several times a bias against non traditional ACC schools.
FSU is a non traditional ACC school.

I mean a state school who's not on the Atlantic coast, like the most recent additions that Louisville is part of.

These POY, COY, etc are nothing more than pure discretionary opinion, as there is no clear definition as to the criteria used to make the selection.

My own criteria, would simply be who did the best job coaching, and again just for me …… I believe any coach who was picked by the same folks who thought UL was the 8th best team in the ACC, but was playing for the ACC Championship…….. that would be the COY.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT