ADVERTISEMENT

Fox Sports Preseason rankings.

Stewart Mandel did his preseason rankings for Fox Sports. FSU checks in at #2, Clemson checks in at #3 and Louisville checks in at #10. The Atlantic Division is the only division with three teams in Mandel's preseason Top 10. In the Coastal, Mandel ranks Pitt at #25 and UNC at #21.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...emson-lsu-oklahoma-ohio-state-michigan-080316
Surprised to see the Cards ranked so high. Wonder if this is a outlier or will this be the case in the AP and coaches poll?

Stewart Mandel did his preseason rankings for Fox Sports. FSU checks in at #2, Clemson checks in at #3 and Louisville checks in at #10. The Atlantic Division is the only division with three teams in Mandel's preseason Top 10. In the Coastal, Mandel ranks Pitt at #25 and UNC at #21.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...emson-lsu-oklahoma-ohio-state-michigan-080316
The good news from this is that losses to each other shouldn't be as painful in the polls as they could be, similar to how the $EC gets treated when they lose to each other. I do not believe that we will be ranked that high when the major polls come out, but if we could manage a win over FSU in game three, I think we would get a major boost in the polls without FSU taking a big hit. This is going to be one crazy ride in the Atlantic Division this year.

Reactions: American Male
Wait....aren't you the guy that has us winning every game by 30+?
You just don't get it. In that thread I clearly stated that I didn't think the media would have the Cards ranked higher. That my predictions were for fun but also a possibility due to the talent and Petrino's history.

Oh no I get it. Your predictions weren't "for fun." It was serious. Seriously dumb. Just own the fact that you really don't know much about football and are simply a fanboy. Nothing wrong with that.

Oh no I get it. Your predictions weren't "for fun." It was serious. Seriously dumb. Just own the fact that you really don't know much about football and are simply a fanboy. Nothing wrong with that.
Well, you can believe what you want to make yourself so important as to who knows anything about football. The season is just starting and if you're around you will see plenty of posts by me that will prove you don't know what you're talking about. I was so happy to be dumb back in 2008 when I predicted that Coach Strongs first team would make a bowl when virtually no one here thought that. Or back when John L. Smith took over after the Cooper disaster and I predicted a winning season because I knew Redman would have the chance to show what he could do. No one thought we would win 5 games that season.

I probably have the points wrong but I do feel this is a special team and am confident of a 11-1 regular season.

How many Cards fans think this team could dominant most of their opponents like they did in Petrino's first tenure here? We all remember how John L. Smith turned it all around with a explosive offense and how Petrino came in and made Stefan Lefors into a incredible QB. We also remember how Kragthorpe came in and almost destroyed the program. We remember when Charlie Strong came in and while we loved his recruiting, many of us were not so keen with his conservative play calling.

Now we have Petrino back and things are looking so familiar. He's in season 3 with a team loaded with talented skill position players. The schedule is tougher but so is this Cards team with a defense Petrino's didn't have his first time here.

I changed my handle from 80, 86 after the 2013 championship hoops team. I didn't want a bunch of numbers because I fully expect more titles to come. Plus I wanted my name not to be hoops only because the football team is ready to kick ass. So many of you remember me as 80,86 and can go from there in evaluating my knowledge or fandom.

How many Cards fans think this team could dominant most of their opponents like they did in Petrino's first tenure here? We all remember how John L. Smith turned it all around with a explosive offense and how Petrino came in and made Stefan Lefors into a incredible QB. We also remember how Kragthorpe came in and almost destroyed the program. We remember when Charlie Strong came in and while we loved his recruiting, many of us were not so keen with his conservative play calling.

Now we have Petrino back and things are looking so familiar. He's in season 3 with a team loaded with talented skill position players. The schedule is tougher but so is this Cards team with a defense Petrino's didn't have his first time here.

I changed my handle from 80, 86 after the 2013 championship hoops team. I didn't want a bunch of numbers because I fully expect more titles to come. Plus I wanted my name not to be hoops only because the football team is ready to kick ass. So many of you remember me as 80,86 and can go from there in evaluating my knowledge or fandom.
I don't think 11-1 is an unreasonable prediction. But blowing every opponent out of the water by 30 points or more is reserved for teams that are among the greatest College Football teams of all time. But I could see Louisville beating those teams not named FSU, Clemson and Houston by 2 or 3 Touchdowns.

This board does seem to have a lot of out of work FB coaches on it.

Makes me glad to just be a Red Goggled fan.

FWIW, I'd like to know how many even played FB past being 2nd string OG for SW Candy County HS. MucH less coached.

Whatever the over/under is, I take under.

I don't think 11-1 is an unreasonable prediction. But blowing every opponent out of the water by 30 points or more is reserved for teams that are among the greatest College Football teams of all time. But I could see Louisville beating those teams not named FSU, Clemson and Houston by 2 or 3 Touchdowns.
That's pretty much what I predicted except for Houston as I don't think they're as good as some think they will be. They have Ward back but lost their top two skill position players and much of their top defensive players. They are touting a true freshman on defense which isn't a good sign for a strong defense.

I made the scores larger because of the Cards defense which I believe will create a lot of turnovers giving Jackson and the offense more chances to score. I also believe we're going to see to special play from the special teams in Jaire Alexander who looked like he was on the verge of returning punts for TD'S several times as a freshman last season.

I just see a dynamic offense scoring early putting teams behind leading to mistakes and desperation. I remember that so vividly the first time Petrino was here. We scored the first time we got the ball almost every time. Opponents were always trailing before the 1st quarter was half over.

So maybe they will be 20 point wins instead of 30. I don't think it really changes my perception that this is a very potent team and other than the two big boys FSU and Clemson, the other teams on the schedule are in for a big hurting.

That's pretty much what I predicted except for Houston as I don't think they're as good as some think they will be. They have Ward back but lost their top two skill position players and much of their top defensive players. They are touting a true freshman on defense which isn't a good sign for a strong defense.

I made the scores larger because of the Cards defense which I believe will create a lot of turnovers giving Jackson and the offense more chances to score. I also believe we're going to see to special play from the special teams in Jaire Alexander who looked like he was on the verge of returning punts for TD'S several times as a freshman last season.

I just see a dynamic offense scoring early putting teams behind leading to mistakes and desperation. I remember that so vividly the first time Petrino was here. We scored the first time we got the ball almost every time. Opponents were always trailing before the 1st quarter was half over.

So maybe they will be 20 point wins instead of 30. I don't think it really changes my perception that this is a very potent team and other than the two big boys FSU and Clemson, the other teams on the schedule are in for a big hurting.

Tom Herman, the Houston Cougars head coach is a rising star, so it' would be a mistake to underestimate his coaching abilities.

Another game which is not a sure win is the Marshall game @ Marshall. The Thundering Herd are very difficult to beat on their home turf and that game is sandwiched between FSU and Clemson. That is the very definition of a trap game.

We'll have to take it one game at a time, but a 10+ win total this year with this schedule would mean this team is really good.

Tom Herman, the Houston Cougars head coach is a rising star, so it' would be a mistake to underestimate his coaching abilities.

Another game which is not a sure win is the Marshall game @ Marshall. The Thundering Herd are very difficult to beat on their home turf and that game is sandwiched between FSU and Clemson. That is the very definition of a trap game.

We'll have to take it one game at a time, but a 10+ win total this year with this schedule would mean this team is really good.
No doubt Houston is going to be a very good team but I don't think they're at the place Louisville is in overall talent.

As for Marshall, I can't disagree more. They lost a ton from last season and trap game or not, they simply don't match up at all talent wise with the Cards. Of course anything can happen and Marshall has been a thorn in the side of the Cards for years. However, Coach Petrino is not going tolerate a lack of focus against a mid level team. This is one of the games on the schedule that I worry about the least. I see the Cards going up big in the first half and running away with it in the 2nd half.

No doubt Houston is going to be a very good team but I don't think they're at the place Louisville is in overall talent.

As for Marshall, I can't disagree more. They lost a ton from last season and trap game or not, they simply don't match up at all talent wise with the Cards. Of course anything can happen and Marshall has been a thorn in the side of the Cards for years. However, Coach Petrino is not going tolerate a lack of focus against a mid level team. This is one of the games on the schedule that I worry about the least. I see the Cards going up big in the first half and running away with it in the 2nd half.

He has before. I recall a couple of really embarrassing losses during his career as UofL's head coach. The one game which comes to mind immediately without going back and looking it up was a loss to Memphis State back when he coached the Cards the first time around. I don't remember the exact year, but I do remember getting blown out in PJCS by a mid level Memphis State Tigers football team.

Coach Petrino is a fine head football coach, and I have nothing against him, but he is far from perfect as a head coach and his teams aren't always ready to play as they should IMO.

He has before. I recall a couple of really embarrassing losses during his career as UofL's head coach. The one game which comes to mind immediately without going back and looking it up was a loss to Memphis State back when he coached the Cards the first time around. I don't remember the exact year, but I do remember getting blown out in PJCS by a mid level Memphis State Tigers football team.

Coach Petrino is a fine head football coach, and I have nothing against him, but he is far from perfect as a head coach and his teams aren't always ready to play as they should IMO.
Yes, it was Memphis and D'Angelo Williams and it was at Papa John's. Nobody is perfect, especially Bobby Petrino. And I said anything is possible. The Cards could lose at home to a good NC State team. I wouldn't be shocked. Marshall however, is in a rebuilding year and although I'm sure they will be fired up for the Cards, they won't be facing a mid level team. If the Cards are coming off a loss to FSU, they will take it out on Marshall. If coming off a win, the team will be psyched and ready to prove they're for real and won't overlook a over matched opponent.

Yes, it was Memphis and D'Angelo Williams and it was at Papa John's. Nobody is perfect, especially Bobby Petrino. And I said anything is possible. The Cards could lose at home to a good NC State team. I wouldn't be shocked. Marshall however, is in a rebuilding year and although I'm sure they will be fired up for the Cards, they won't be facing a mid level team. If the Cards are coming off a loss to FSU, they will take it out on Marshall. If coming off a win, the team will be psyched and ready to prove they're for real and won't overlook a over matched opponent.
I love your outlook and positive vibrations!! I'm all in no matter what happens! L1C4 has been my mantra long before it came to life during Pitino's tenure. I bleed one color and it IS the right color. RED!!

Go CARD!!!

Whatever the quality of their team, you can count on the Marshall fans to run their mouths nonstop. I hope they create some billboard material as usual.

Make up your mind, Sparky! Was your OP serious or "just for fun"? Seems serious which makes it even nuttier. We aren't beating Houston, at Houston by 30+. In fact, depending on how things play out, we may not even be favored. This team has plenty of flaws and question marks which only the fanboy homers can't see. Were you the same clown last year who said we were loaded at all 22 positions and would make the playoffs?

Make up your mind, Sparky! Was your OP serious or "just for fun"? Seems serious which makes it even nuttier. We aren't beating Houston, at Houston by 30+. In fact, depending on how things play out, we may not even be favored. This team has plenty of flaws and question marks which only the fanboy homers can't see. Were you the same clown last year who said we were loaded at all 22 positions and would make the playoffs?

Lighten up Francis.

And you're the same clown that screamed week after week last year that Lamar Jackson should not be playing and was simply not a D-1 Quarterback.

Since he is now the face of our program and an outside Heisman candidate, I say:
Nice call Beano.

Looks like the AP poll differs from CBS. Cards #23. No surprise there. With the most returning starters of any ranked team coming off a season of winning 8 out of last 10 including the bowl win over Texas A&M, the Cards are typically under ranked again.

Lighten up Francis.

And you're the same clown that screamed week after week last year that Lamar Jackson should not be playing and was simply not a D-1 Quarterback.

Since he is now the face of our program and an outside Heisman candidate, I say:
Nice call Beano.

Dude he had like 2 good games. Quit trying to rewrite history. He was decent for a true fr. Let's quit acting like he was flawless.

However, Coach Petrino is not going tolerate a lack of focus against a mid level team.

1. I thought we were winning this one by 30.

2. What does that even mean?

1. I thought we were winning this one by 30.

2. What does that even mean?
What are you like 10 years old? Everything makes sense now with your stupid comments about Jackson. After this comment, I'm done with your ignorant ass. Why waste time with someone who obviously wants to start trouble than to discuss Louisville sports? Say what you will about me, at least I'm not you.

For the record.

1. Jackson had 5 games over 100 yards rushing and 5 games with over 200 yards passing. Those last two games was a preview of what he can be now that he has knowledge of the playbook. Everyone has him as a star on the verge and is excited about what he will do. All except good ol Jay who is the most knowledgeable Cards fan in the world.

2. It means Petrino is a head coach who has his players attention and a deep roster to replace anyone who isn't cutting it.

So yeah, lighten up Francis!

Mods, I do apologize for name calling. I could take so much name calling that I was no better than this guy who has attacked me ever since I made my posts. I mean enough is enough. I should be able to make my opinions known here without being attacked verbally by this guy.

Stewart Mandel did his preseason rankings for Fox Sports. FSU checks in at #2, Clemson checks in at #3 and Louisville checks in at #10.

That's great, I'll take it. But the reality for Louisville is that if Texas A&M had scored 1 more touchedown and beaten us 28-27, we'd be unranked right now, somewhere around #30 in the "also receiving votes".

Well, fellows go look at the roster for 2016. It may be the best we ever fielded. I have been going Louisville games since 1971. This team is going to be special!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT