ADVERTISEMENT

Former Bama JUCO OL signee visiting UofL

Steelers2012

Jan 5, 2012
I've asked the question on the main football board if any Bama fans know what "violation of team rules" meant in Baldwin's case, and the only response was "academics". He reportedly had two years to play at Bama, and I assume he would have the same after sitting out a year here.

The University of Louisville football team is hosting former Alabama offensive tackle Charles Baldwin, a five-star 2016 junior-college recruit who was recently dismissed from the Crimson Tide, on a visit this week, according to 247Sports.com.

Baldwin began a visit to U of L on Tuesday and also recently visited Temple, he told
247Sports' Ryan Bartow.

The 6-foot-5, 297-pound Baldwin, who was widely considered the top junior-college offensive lineman in the 2016 class, spent only about four months at Alabama. He transferred from ASA College in New York in January and went through spring practice with the Crimson Tide, but he was dismissed from the program on May 12 for a violation of team rules.

Baldwin presumably would have to sit out the 2016 season if he transfers to another FBS team. He told 247 that he would like to make a decision by the end of this month and enroll in summer school in June.

That the question...plus he is more than a signee...he was with them through Alabama Spring Practice...i wonder what happened between him and Saban...but to me he is a take if the staff wants him

Much rather it be academics than anything else but hard to say.

We've done real well with Jucos-who-signed-Power-5 and this guy is a solid 5-star & all upside (just look at his video). Bring it on.

I've asked the question on the main football board if any Bama fans know what "violation of team rules" meant in Baldwin's case, and the only response was "academics". He reportedly had two years to play at Bama, and I assume he would have the same after sitting out a year here.

The University of Louisville football team is hosting former Alabama offensive tackle Charles Baldwin, a five-star 2016 junior-college recruit who was recently dismissed from the Crimson Tide, on a visit this week, according to 247Sports.com.

Baldwin began a visit to U of L on Tuesday and also recently visited Temple, he told
247Sports' Ryan Bartow.

The 6-foot-5, 297-pound Baldwin, who was widely considered the top junior-college offensive lineman in the 2016 class, spent only about four months at Alabama. He transferred from ASA College in New York in January and went through spring practice with the Crimson Tide, but he was dismissed from the program on May 12 for a violation of team rules.

Baldwin presumably would have to sit out the 2016 season if he transfers to another FBS team. He told 247 that he would like to make a decision by the end of this month and enroll in summer school in June.

Reactions: Steelers2012
I read he got beat out during spring practice so Saban probably showed him the door.

Last edited:
As much depth as Bama has, I can't see them not wanting a 5 star backup OL. IF he is in fact a 5 star.

If he was asked to leave I dont think it was for getting beat out.

He was a 5-star. But what does that really mean, right? As we all know, that's not a 100% guaranty that a young person develops towards fulfilling perceived potential.

I'd say becoming a Cardinal will give him a real nice shot if he's willing to work at it (and if our staff wants him chances are good that's the case).

As much depth as Bama has, I can't see them not wanting a 5 star backup OL. IF he is in fact a 5 star.

If he was asked to leave I dont think it was for getting beat out.

Violation of team rules seems to usually indicate an alcohol or marijuana positive test at many programs. Many times, it's used as a "catch all" to free a scholly as well.
Really not too concerned unless it's multiple violations, kids are gonna drink and many are going to smoke weed. Throw the first stone.

Danger Zone is kids don't lay off and hit rock bottom like Pike. Drive while impaired etc.

In this kids case, don't know what happened. I can say, that the Bama folks say a true freshman played his spot in the Spring game and the same freshman was going with starters in Spring ball.

I am of the opinion to allow the staff, after due diligence, to make the call.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT