ADVERTISEMENT

For the folks in the back: Kenny Payne is not a Louisville legend.

Dude, come on. Payne was freshman rotational player who didn't really affect the outcome of any game in 86. Wayne Blackshear is very comparable, yet was even more of a contributor on the 2013 team than Payne was in 86. Wayne Blackshear is forever a Cardinal, and a national champion, but is he a "Legend"? Because that is what is at question here: "Legend" status. Just being on the roster during a championship year doesn't make you a Legend.

I'm not saying Legend in the sense of Dr. Dunkenstein, but if you want to boast about our 2 NC's, the 3rd one I recognized but is undeniably tarnished, Kenny Payne was part of that. Also you can't now compare his stats from 37 years ago and say he wasn't a top scorer. You have to look at his numbers compared to the players before him. By the way, its still mind boggling that Griff is still our leading scorer of all time. And I'm glad you want to pick Fat Wayne as a comparison because as i remember a lot of fans considered him a disappointment until his last year.

I'm not saying Legend in the sense of Dr. Dunkenstein, but if you want to boast about our 2 NC's, the 3rd one I recognized but is undeniably tarnished, Kenny Payne was part of that. Also you can't now compare his stats from 37 years ago and say he wasn't a top scorer. You have to look at his numbers compared to the players before him. By the way, its still mind boggling that Griff is still our leading scorer of all time. And I'm glad you want to pick Fat Wayne as a comparison because as i remember a lot of fans considered him a disappointment until his last year.
huh?

Check the title of the Thread. Kenny Payne is not a "Louisville Legend", and he isn't bolstered in any way because he sat on the bench as a freshman in 86. At his best, he was the 3rd most important player on the roster. Not a Legend. Full stop.

KP was a good player on the 89 team we thought was going to win another championship before Pervis got injured. Ended up a disappointing 4 seed that got bounced by Illinois in the sweet 16.

KP was a good player on the 89 team we thought was going to win another championship before Pervis got injured. Ended up a disappointing 4 seed that got bounced by Illinois in the sweet 16.
That Illinois team was legit. Kendall Gill, Nick Anderson, Kenny Battle- a three headed monster.

I was in Memphis at the time when KP, Alvin Simms and Cornelius Holden all played at Louisville at different times mind you. When KP signed with Louisville the play by play announcer for Memphis came on the radio and said “ the recruiting battle between Mississippi State and Memphis for the services of KP are over he has signed with Louisville. Great Caesar’s Ghost the rich get richer”. Memph is fans described Alvin Simms as mini Charles Barkley and they said Cornelius Holden jumped like he was on a pogo stick. Those were fun times not anything like today.

That team grossly underperformed, Herb Crook, Tony Kimbro, and even Pervis to a certain extent mailed it in that season (Maybe Denny as well). Pretty sure LaBradford was a freshman that year and was billed as the 2nd coming but it didn't materialize that season.. That team had enough returning talent to make another run just didn't happen..

Team didn’t have any 3-pt shooters in the first year of the collegiate 3-pt shot. Wagner and Jeff Hall had graduated the previous year.

Team didn’t have any 3-pt shooters in the first year of the collegiate 3-pt shot. Wagner and Jeff Hall had graduated the previous year.
I think that was a big part of Dennys downfall, he never really embraced the 3 point shot..

Reactions: PushupMan
I think that was a big part of Dennys downfall, he never really embraced the 3 point shot..
100%. He was very slow to embrace the 3. I remember when Pitino took the UK job. He encouraged the crowd to chant “thrrreee” every time Derek Miller or whomever chucked one up. Rick got it. Coincidentally, that’s what I want after KP is fired. A coach who engages the fans, has enthusiasm, shows hope and promise. KP does nothing. Fire Payne.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
The good news is as bad as been the next guy will be a hero if he wins 18-20 games.

Don’t know if he’s a legend or not but he will definitely be infamous when he leaves here.😂

I'm sick of hearing that crap. KP was maybe the 7th best player on the '86 championship team. He averaged under 4 points that season. He'd then play in Pervis' shadow the rest of his collegiate career. KP had a sweet jump shot from 3 point range. That's the only credit I'll give him.

Fans supporting KP: "how you treat a Louisville legend like that?" Because he's not a GD Louisville legend. He's an alum who admittedly said he didn't know how to read when he got to college.

Fire Payne.
how do you get into college if you can't read?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT