ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Sirmon...

I usually don't like firing coaches during the season, but this time I'll make an exception. This just isn't working. We've known that for at least 4 weeks.

Reactions: wilkie01 and Deeva
If we are a school and football program that truly wants to be Big-Time, then Sirmon needs to go. If Bobby doesn’t want to fire him, then Bobby needs to go!

Reactions: wilkie01
I would let him finish out for recruiting purposes...we are what we are and an interim isn't go to change that. I've said it many times, I'm not mad at him, he is an average coach doing an average job in a tough division. Down in mid majors, could do very well but not at this level.

We need to see who will come available and either go buy talent (ala 2 mill a year ish) to get someone in here that can actually run the defensive program and put up with Bobby's crap or try to find a diamond in the rough. I personally like option A.

Either way, like I said when we lost the first 2, this is life for us for the next year or more. Going to have to just deal, Bobby isn't the long term answer for our program. However, until this whole mess with the powers that be are worked out Bobby is all we are going to get.

If we are a school and football program that truly wants to be Big-Time, then Sirmon needs to go. If Bobby doesn’t want to fire him, then Bobby needs to go!
That’s just it. You don’t become a big time football program overnight just because we have joined a P5 conference. We have to compete. After our first year in the ACC, a lot of fans thought we only had to deal with Clemson and FSU. Well we have held our own against FSU but so has the rest of the league. Now we need to show we can deal with BC, Syracuse, Virginia, NC state on a consistent basis.

That’s just it. You don’t become a big time football program overnight just because we have joined a P5 conference. We have to compete. After our first year in the ACC, a lot of fans thought we only had to deal with Clemson and FSU. Well we have held our own against FSU but so has the rest of the league. Now we need to show we can deal with BC, Syracuse, Virginia, NC state on a consistent basis.

That’s just it. Up until now we have shown consistency. Until yesterday WF has never beat us. And I understand that we will get beat on occasion by any of those teams and that’s understandable, but we are experiencing a major melt down. How Any fan can sit back and think this is UofL FB, I just don’t get it. If we were competing maybe but our D is as horrible as I; well I don’t ever remember it being this bad not even with Crapthorpe. Sirmon isn’t cutting it. The team isn’t prepared and fundamentals aren’t being stressed. His schemes are high school at best. And I don’t want to hear it’s talent, that’s BS.

Even the national media is jumping on how bad our defense is.

They mentioned it several times during the Notre Dame game (Wake is their next opp) and also on ESPN late scoreboard show.

I would let him finish out for recruiting purposes...we are what we are and an interim isn't go to change that. I've said it many times, I'm not mad at him, he is an average coach doing an average job in a tough division. Down in mid majors, could do very well but not at this level.

We need to see who will come available and either go buy talent (ala 2 mill a year ish) to get someone in here that can actually run the defensive program and put up with Bobby's crap or try to find a diamond in the rough. I personally like option A.

Either way, like I said when we lost the first 2, this is life for us for the next year or more. Going to have to just deal, Bobby isn't the long term answer for our program. However, until this whole mess with the powers that be are worked out Bobby is all we are going to get.

He is not doing an average job. The defense is autrocious. There are simple technique issues that wouldn’t fly at good high school programs - taking blockers on with wrong shoulder, poor pursuit angles, inability to correctly pass receivers off in zone coverage. These are not talent issues, these are things uncoached players do.

It is both coaching and talent. You can argue what is happening at Florida State on defense is all coaching. Notre Dame is a good example of having talent but not performing. They hired the right guy. You can't make that claim at Louisville. That is the danger of making a coaching change now. To do this right all the coaches on the defensive side have to go and let the new guy bring in his own people. Considering what is going on at Louisville the financial side matters more than ever.

As smart as people seem to be on this issue they just want to turn a nose at how little talent/desire there is in this defense. Coaches can only motivate so much, players have to step up at some point. They are playing 4 true freshman on defense at Louisville, that is insane. On top of that they are all playing positions where a good Dline could protect them guess what they aren't good. They are playing players recruited to play safety at linebacker who are woefully undersized and don't know how to play the position. Their star position can't cover any slot receiver or rush the passer.

Who recruited for the defense the last 3 years? Don't say Bobby he paid Grantham to handle everything about the defense. Quit saying it isn't a talent issue. Talent/experience is a big part of the issue. Coaching is too, but bringing a new coach with this level of talent isn't going to make this a top 10 defense.

I am in the boat they better be improved next year because they have addressed the defense with transfers, JUCO, and high school. They perform this way again next year time to clean house and maybe entirely.

It is both coaching and talent. You can argue what is happening at Florida State on defense is all coaching. Notre Dame is a good example of having talent but not performing. They hired the right guy. You can't make that claim at Louisville. That is the danger of making a coaching change now. To do this right all the coaches on the defensive side have to go and let the new guy bring in his own people. Considering what is going on at Louisville the financial side matters more than ever.

As smart as people seem to be on this issue they just want to turn a nose at how little talent/desire there is in this defense. Coaches can only motivate so much, players have to step up at some point. They are playing 4 true freshman on defense at Louisville, that is insane. On top of that they are all playing positions where a good Dline could protect them guess what they aren't good. They are playing players recruited to play safety at linebacker who are woefully undersized and don't know how to play the position. Their star position can't cover any slot receiver or rush the passer.

Who recruited for the defense the last 3 years? Don't say Bobby he paid Grantham to handle everything about the defense. Quit saying it isn't a talent issue. Talent/experience is a big part of the issue. Coaching is too, but bringing a new coach with this level of talent isn't going to make this a top 10 defense.

I am in the boat they better be improved next year because they have addressed the defense with transfers, JUCO, and high school. They perform this way again next year time to clean house and maybe entirely.
Any HC who pays one of the coordinators to be in total control of one side of the ball - including recruiting - is asking for problems, isn’t worth the money they make and in all reality, shouldn’t be a HC.

Btw - petrino doesn’t pay anyone. Jurich got Grantham to come here because he knew petrino didn’t have anyone qualified on the defensive side of the ball that wanted to work for him.

Assistants do the heavy lifting of recruiting, however the HC approves and closes the deal.
The HC is in charge OF EVERY POSITION. It's on him if recruiting fails, not the assistants.

ND was looking to get rid of Kelly. He has saved his bacon for at least 2 more yrs after this.
Petrino has enough talent to be 8-1 or even 9-0 at this point. Playing your two best games against non P5 opponents is what SuCkS does.

He's paid 4 million to compete for the Atlantic crown, not to turn the program into cayuts like football. Fire him, now.

Assistants do the heavy lifting of recruiting, however the HC approves and closes the deal.
The HC is in charge OF EVERY POSITION. It's on him if recruiting fails, not the assistants.

ND was looking to get rid of Kelly. He has saved his bacon for at least 2 more yrs after this.
Petrino has enough talent to be 8-1 or even 9-0 at this point. Playing your two best games against non P5 opponents is what SuCkS does.

He's paid 4 million to compete for the Atlantic crown, not to turn the program into cayuts like football. Fire him, now.
I totally disagree they have enough talent to be 8-1 or 9-0. They have 2 players maybe 3 on defense that will play in the NFL. All three have been hurt or coming off injuries. No one in the secondary could cover people last year, but we expect them to this year with true freshman. They couldn't generate a pass rush last year, but we expect them to do it this year.

I do think it is legit to question the Sirmon hire. It made no sense on multiple levels. I really don't think a change is coming. I believe Petrino is all in on Sirmon, he is going to roll the dice and if it doesn't work he is going to take the fall.

Look at that contract and tell me he isn't all in. He overpaid for someone that doesn't have this kind of experience and hasn't shown he is actually a good DC coach. It appears he hired him for 1 reason, recruiting.

I am probably wrong because I think they will get absolutely torched against Syracuse. It is a complete mismatch at WR and our CB's. Their QB is really good too. This could be like the Krag Syracuse game.

I totally disagree they have enough talent to be 8-1 or 9-0. They have 2 players maybe 3 on defense that will play in the NFL. All three have been hurt or coming off injuries. No one in the secondary could cover people last year, but we expect them to this year with true freshman. They couldn't generate a pass rush last year, but we expect them to do it this year.

I do think it is legit to question the Sirmon hire. It made no sense on multiple levels. I really don't think a change is coming. I believe Petrino is all in on Sirmon, he is going to roll the dice and if it doesn't work he is going to take the fall.
Bobby can see all the heat this DC is taking.

If Bobby was a man he would come out and say “I put this kid in a bad spot because of piss poor recruiting. It’s my fault. Let ME get him some players and you’ll see what he can do.”

But he won’t. He isn’t cut that way I guess.

The heat is on Sirmon right now and I believe Bobby is thankful for that. ;)

If Bobby was a man he would come out and say “I put this kid in a bad spot because of piss poor recruiting. It’s my fault. Let ME get him some players and you’ll see what he can do.”

Losing any two of the remaining 3 games and that heat moves over to CBP...especially if one of the losses is to (sic) uk. You can bank on that.:oops::rolleyes:o_O

Last edited:

Here’s the problem with that logic. Grantham has got a top 20 defense at Miss St. the same defense that was horrible under Sirmon.

I don’t by the piss poor recruiting logic. This is coaching. Sirmon is the issue and Bobby will be for hiring him.

Hope they prove me wrong today.

I love the team and I will be behind the team, but I don't love the coaching, that includes Petrino. I hope that I'm wrong but I woke up having a bad feeling about today's game, and I've never had a bad feeling about the game, even the BC, Wake loses.

Here’s the problem with that logic. Grantham has got a top 20 defense at Miss St. the same defense that was horrible under Sirmon.

I don’t by the piss poor recruiting logic. This is coaching. Sirmon is the issue and Bobby will be for hiring him.

Hope they prove me wrong today.
Top 10 actually - #7. Whereas we are ranked #82 - a spot behind the yuts.

Let that sink in for a minute...

No, you need players. Firing him will put us back even further in the recruiting game. Lack of depth was Coach G issue.
That top 10 defense gave up 400+ yards to a 100 plus ranked offense at home in a game that mattered. Let that sink in. At the end of the year the defense was no better than what we saw this year. Louisville didn't have depth then and they don't have depth now. Three key players go down at the beginning of the year. It is not surprising they have struggled. I am not saying Sirmon has done a good job to date but only time will time if he as bad as this team has performed.

That top 10 defense gave up 400+ yards to a 100 plus ranked offense at home in a game that mattered. Let that sink in. At the end of the year the defense was no better than what we saw this year. Louisville didn't have depth then and they don't have depth now. Three key players go down at the beginning of the year. It is not surprising they have struggled. I am not saying Sirmon has done a good job to date but only time will time if he as bad as this team has performed.

I’m beginning to think that because of the horrible contract we signed him to that Peter Simeon will be back as DC next year. My biggest concern with him are the poor techniques I continually see. That isn’t a function of talent but of coaching. Guys out of position, guys that don’t attack blockers with correct shoulder, DBs that don’t know how to pass off receivers in zone coverage, etc.

I’m beginning to think that because of the horrible contract we signed him to that Peter Simeon will be back as DC next year. My biggest concern with him are the poor techniques I continually see. That isn’t a function of talent but of coaching. Guys out of position, guys that don’t attack blockers with correct shoulder, DBs that don’t know how to pass off receivers in zone coverage, etc.

I agree 100% with you, plus I will add that they mostly arm tackle. One other thing, I think the kickoff team and punt teams are pretty shabby, also.

Reactions: Knucklehank1
I agree 100% with you, plus I will add that they mostly arm tackle. One other thing, I think the kickoff team and punt teams are pretty shabby, also.
I think part of the issue with the STs is Bobby’s philosophy of not kicking out of the end zone and trying to pin the opponent deep in their territory. To do this, he tends to use “speed guys” who unfortunately are not the biggest guys or the greatest tacklers. With our defense this year, I would prefer if we had a kicker that could kick it out of the stadium.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT