ADVERTISEMENT

Financial Impact of Playing Football Games without Fans...

zipp

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2001
As decision time approaches, we're reading more articles about the possibility of games being played this season without fans in attendance. It's pretty straightforward making an estimate of that financial hit to U of L. Recall that "Vince" has recently mentioned that cancelling the season altogether creates a $40+ million revenue hole.

From the most recent financials I have (3-31-2020), here are the revenue streams that would be impacted the most if home games are played without fans. These are "adjusted" budget line items for FY2020...

Ticket Sales: $13.6 million
Concessions: $0.6
Parking: $0.9
Suite Rentals: $2.4
Loge Seats: $1.0
TOTAL $18.5 million

The line items I'm NOT including are Facility Fee, Game Guarantees, ACC Media, Neutral Site Game, Locker Rental, and ACC Football. Some of these would likely be impacted as well by playing without fans, or they may not apply to the upcoming season. If so, that's additional lost revenue.

So, if you want to wag a number, it's probably $20 million in lost revenue for U of L to address...

For comparison, Alabama's football ticket sales alone are $35-40 million... LINK

As decision time approaches, we're reading more articles about the possibility of games being played this season without fans in attendance. It's pretty straightforward making an estimate of that financial hit to U of L. Recall that "Vince" has recently mentioned that cancelling the season altogether creates a $40+ million revenue hole.

From the most recent financials I have (3-31-2020), here are the revenue streams that would be impacted the most if home games are played without fans. These are "adjusted" budget line items for FY2020...

Ticket Sales: $13.6 million
Concessions: $0.6
Parking: $0.9
Suite Rentals: $2.4
Loge Seats: $1.0
TOTAL $18.5 million

The line items I'm NOT including are Facility Fee, Game Guarantees, ACC Media, Neutral Site Game, Locker Rental, and ACC Football. Some of these would likely be impacted as well by playing without fans, or they may not apply to the upcoming season. If so, that's additional lost revenue.

So, if you want to wag a number, it's probably $20 million in lost revenue for U of L to address...
There are expenses to opening stadiums, like security, staffing, electricity (especially night games), these might be relatively small, but they should be subtracted. Also, suites and possibly Loge seats could still be sold and social distance maintained. It’s still a large hole, and reduced expenses might include smaller traveling squads, bus instead of air travel for some games, no hotel stays for some games, but travel back immediately after the game. That still won’t close the gap, however. UofL has to get creative; but if football is played without fans, they will not be alone- every program will be hurting.

Easy way to do this and still make some money.... For this season only, Limit attendance at each home game to 1/10th stadium capacity. No season ticket sales ... sell tickets for each individual game at a price determined by market demand versus supply. The prices would probably be fairly high due to the limited supply.

Easy way to do this and still make some money.... For this season only, Limit attendance at each home game to 1/10th stadium capacity. No season ticket sales ... sell tickets for each individual game at a price determined by market demand versus supply. The prices would probably be fairly high due to the limited supply.

Actually I kinda like your proposal but I’d up the attendance limitations somewhat to, say, 20,000 or so.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT