ADVERTISEMENT

Fan opinion....SWOT analysis FSU V UL

jadaway

No-Ranking Prospect
Oct 8, 2004
What a great opportunity being the Gameday game. The winner is going to enjoy lots of love and a chance for a couple players to become household names. ESPN just tabbed this the hardest game on FSU schedule. Hoping to have good discussion about big game.

First tho....holy chit Lamar! Wow! You guys a QB whisperer just like ours.

I have questions about UL. Will share about FSU. I watched all of Cuse game but don't know how bad Cuse is vs how good UL.

How is the OL? Pass block and run block?

How is run game? Didn't recall many runs in Cuse game. Except Lamar. Do RB get featured in Petrino O? Ideal run/pass ratio for Petrino offense. See many screen play or pass to RB in flats? How many times will Lamar run on QB designated run?

Do y'all use a TE in passing game? RB too? Quick is great. Noticed another one or two tall beasts out there. Who's the new WR opposite Quick?

How is DL? Secondary? LB? Was Cuse QB that good or did D have an off night? What's base defense? Who's best player on D? Harvey-Clemmons? Is D better this year or last?

Special teams? Do y'all run up tempo offense?

What names of players should I watch for? Besides Quick and Lamar. What worries you? What is ideal for this game? Scheme wise n all I mean.

I'll share a little. Our OL is in fans doghouse. Was missing LG and RG from starting lineup. RT is converted DE and off to rough start. All are hoping we get injured back. Run blocking has been worse than pass block. OL bitching dominates insider forums. Ole Miss had very good DL and abused our guys most of the night. The OL has talent, size, and experience so no excuse for performance so far. Huge guys.

Francois has been great surprise. Was #1 dual threat in same class as Lamar but I don't expect Jimbo to run him on purpose more than 1-2 times a game. He did use his legs on broken plays twice in ole miss game and was big time play both times. Haven't seen the option yet but when we had EJ Manuel Jimbo loved that play to catch D pants down. Still worried about having r-freshman mistakes. This is his 1st away game. Grantham is good D coach and can exploit Francois lack of experience. We learned in ole miss that he can shake a bad start/play.

We have a pass catching TE in Izzo and Francois likes to throw to him. Still may only be 4-5 times. Jimbo loves 2 TE sets.

Missing Derwin James is big deal. We get back Sr Safety Nate Andrews but he hasn't practiced in a month. Talent or depth is not a problem as Jimbo has recruited DBs like mad. Lots of bitching about broken coverages so far. 1st half of Ole Miss game was full of em. The play where Derwin J got hurt was broken coverage. We will have 5-6-7 DB in all game. We only have one DB shorter than 6ft and he was rated #1 CB for Rivals is 2016 class Levonte Taylor. Very tall group. Plays both zone and man. I'd imagine zone for this game. Tough unit to pass on but will leave some wide open inexplicably a few times a game.

DL is very strong. Very. Deep too. DE Walker and DT Nnadi are elite. The others are just very good so far. DL is strongest unit on team followed by DB. Can line up 3 or 4. Coaches will try to get pressure w 4 DL.

WR are ok. No superstars yet. They can run correct routes and catch the ball. Starters are short except Travis R who is 6 even. We have plenty of tall fast WR but they just can't get it together. No Kelvin Benjamin or Peter Warrick on this roster.

Dalvin Cook isn't up to speed yet. Y'all know how good he is when in mid season form. Maybe he's been resting for this game.

We run 4-2-5 base D. Finally have two solid LBs. LB Mathew Thomas has chance to be elite if he finishes season like it started. Thomas may be the spy on Lamar.

Appreciate unbiased talk w fans. Looking forward to visiting UL next time around.

Heres my worries. OL getting confused by creative play leaving Francois open to free blizer. OL not opening holes for Cook and abandoning 50/50 run pass. DB getting played and leaving WR open for easy scores 4-5 times. DL not playing contain. Lamar winning the Heisman by making D look silly. Being down in 4th quarter changing play calling and relying on OL and WR which are our weakest units.

The plan is obvious. Keep Lamar in pocket and make him beat us thru air against zone scheme w 5-6 DB. That will potentially leave Lamar time to pass. I'm worried that we do this successfully and Lamar makes us pay with accurate and well timed passes.

Reactions: PushupMan
One last thing. Watch our DL in 3rd and long passing downs. The group they put in are truly special pass rushers. Derwin James would be in that group. It's different.

Just to respond to a few of your many questions:

- Our running back Radcliff had 156 yards rushing against Syracuse.

- Petrino uses the TEs quite a bit although in our first two games we had, respectively, 16 and 8 different players making receptions so if you caught any of either game maybe you wouldn't get that.

- Yes, our backs can catch the ball.

- After Quick, Jamari Staples is the 2nd receiver and is also real tall. He went for long in both games so far.

How is the OL? Pass block and run block?

How is run game? Didn't recall many runs in Cuse game. Except Lamar. Do RB get featured in Petrino O? Ideal run/pass ratio for Petrino offense. See many screen play or pass to RB in flats? How many times will Lamar run on QB designated run?

Do y'all use a TE in passing game? RB too? Quick is great. Noticed another one or two tall beasts out there. Who's the new WR opposite Quick?

How is DL? Secondary? LB? Was Cuse QB that good or did D have an off night? What's base defense? Who's best player on D? Harvey-Clemmons? Is D better this year or last?

Special teams? Do y'all run up tempo offense?

What names of players should I watch for? Besides Quick and Lamar. What worries you? What is ideal for this game? Scheme wise n all I mean.

with FSU in a 4-2-5 zone being the base D, look for our TE's to get lots of action...we've got a few of them that can be in for run support and have nice hands as well with decent speed. Our RB's can catch the ball out of the backfield as well, so a little dump pass will be useful. If that get's you out of zone coverage, we've been pretty good at the long ball and of course if your DB's turn their back on Lamar, watch out.

regarding our D look, I'm sure we're going to try to confuse Francois...he seems to have good speed and doesn't get rattled, so maybe get him to throw into coverage/rush schemes he hasn't seen and pick him off vs put too much blitz on him...we're pretty solid at all spots.

Some concern is over dropped passes against SU in the last game, hoping that won't be repeated...looking for a really exciting game that will likely live up to the hype.

I would say the biggest difference between the offensive line we had through this time last year and now is they are acclimated to Lamar. When Lamar was taking reps last year we'd go very lengthy periods of non-productivity, in no small part due to the likelihood he had no idea what he was doing and I'm not sure we really knew how best to use him. Substantial work has been done to get a quality mesh point between Lamar and Brandon Radcliff in particular and the zone play has gotten huge yields; a big reason for that is the quality of arc blocking we get from our two tight end combos of Keith Towbridge (6"3, 265) and Cole Hikutini (6"4, 245). They are being used very creatively in the running game, and we also have Charles Standberry and Mickey Crum who have been big contributors there in the past. Crum was our primary TE in the first four games last year and had his biggest game against Houston. In my opinion, Louisville's two sophomore OTs McNeil and Christian have made huge leaps over this time last season. That they will be heads up on FSU's defensive strength is something that I think we feel more comfortable with than we did down in Tallahassee.

Most who don't follow Louisville immediately point to Quick as our best wideout; it's not, it's Jamari Staples and I'd say that Jaylen Smith is just as productive as both Quick and Staples. We do run alot of three and four WR sets and quite a bit of empty due to the depth at WR and the quality of Lamar out of the backfield. Traveon Samuel is our waterbug WR that we use in the jet running and tunnel screen game.

Thus far I've been surprised at the frequency we're throwing to our backs downfield; in Petrino's six previous years at Louisville he used them in the passing game with creative screening. He's using wheelroutes much more this year to big results (and unfortunately...a couple big drops). I'd lay a paycheck that at some point Reggie Bonnafon will be used out of the backfield against FSU. I'm not sure our best receiver out of the backfield LJ Scott will be playing Saturday (didn't he come off at some point against Cuse?).

We have been playing a great deal of nickel and dime; against FSU I'd anticipate it will basically be Nickel with WLB Thomas getting the WLB reps Harvey-Clemons was getting and JHC sliding back to his natural ROVER position. Either Zeke Cannon will slide out of ROV to SS, or Khane Pass will get the start since Dee Smith is suspended the first half. Our corners aren't big, but they are good in coverage; Jaire Alexander is emerging as an all-star. Chucky Williams is a big hitter out of his safety position, but was abused pretty badly against Auburn last season.

Our DEs are outstanding, or at the least extremely disruptive. This game seems made for Devonta Fields at DE. Keith Kelsey at MLB is a big game player and a third year starter; I get the sense that he doesn't care much for Florida State.

I'm not much of a play breakdown guy, so this post is a little out-of-context...Sorry about that...

Just extending my usual welcome to ACC fans esp. of programs as important as FSU's. I'm confident you'll find our fans respectful and very appreciative of the Noles and how you guys contributed to making this game happen.

If you're attending the game, hope you have a great time (except for the game result) and keep returning. And whichever team wins, let's win out and make this season memorable.

Go Noles, Cards, and the ACC ! ! !

Reactions: JohnCard28
One last thing. Watch our DL in 3rd and long passing downs. The group they put in are truly special pass rushers. Derwin James would be in that group. It's different.
That's my biggest worry. Our Offensive line has played much better this year especially last week but this week we get to find out just how far they've come.

Lots of juicy story lines in this one.

Nice contribution Jadaway ....UL has great respect for FSU football and expect a great contest Saturday. CardHack's post did a nice job of breaking down some individual positions; as I totally agree that Jamari Staples is our stud receiver. However, Quick, Smith, Peete and Bonnafon compliment our 4 TEs, as each are tall (6'3" to 6' 6") targets with all have experience catching the football I game situations. (having said this, last week against the Cuse we dropped more passes than I can ever recall). Samuel is a short WR, but in some respects he may be the one receiver who can makes the most impact this Saturday.

The difference between our first six games of 2015 and the last 7 games, plus the two games this year leading to Saturday is increased OL experience and Lamar Jackson's comfort running this offense. Give Bobby Petrino a year or 2 with a healthy QB and the results can be impressive ..................Lamar is all of that and a lot more in terms of athleticism.

Defensively, I expect a bit of a surprise when JC transfer Iakopo fills in for Dee Smith in the 1st half at Safety. Petrino loves this kid, but that decision will come from Grantham. 3 of the 4 Syracuse TDs were directly a result of UL mistakes (3rd down PF penalties or fumbles), that alone is the one issue this team must eliminate in order to have a chance to win. ......we have front 7 depth that we did not appear to show last year.

Our bad news may be the good news ..............FG kicker is inexperienced and may lack confidence this early. We might see a few 4th down offensive plays rather than FG, and with LJ taking the snaps that could be a very good thing.

Good info. Thanks guys.

Cardhack brought up a good point about players hating on FSU. We see that all the time. Some player has their career game against FSU. Looking like All Americans. Turns out they are from Florida and very disrespected they didn't get an offer so they are going to prove our coaches wrong. UL has a lot of FL kids.

Staples is the guy I was thinking about. Def impressed with your WR. From what I've seen they are better than ours. Thankfully, DB is a strength. Strength on strength there.

You're right, I didn't notice Radcliff in Cuse game. Looked at box score. Radclifff only attempted 10 runs whereas Lamar attempted 21. Is that unusual?

The safety that got ejected. Is he the to DB?

A pass catching TE seems to always work on FSU. Miami used to eat our lunch with their TE's.

Our OL has been missing it's LG Are and RG Bell. Both backups were liability. If Are and Bell are back we all will feel better. Our LT Johnson is supposed to be an all American 1st round pick kind of guy. I'm not so much concerned about our QB getting confused, it's the OL who get's fooled. Stunts, delayed blitz, and the like.

Still curious about OL and DL. Reason I ask is because it starts up front....

On the UL OL what I understand is that you have 2 So tackles in their 2nd year starting and a pair of TE's that are used for blocking primarily but one slides out to catch. What about the OG's and C?

On the UL DL you have a pair of disruptive DE's. How about the DT's? A pissed off MLB to clean up. Harvey-Clemmons was heavily recruited by Jimbo. How's he been playing.

Gameday being there is a huge deal. Talking heads already breaking down game. So sick of the SEC BS. I hope Petrino sticks around a long time. Helluva coach. Him banging a volleyball player in Arkansas is exactly what I would be doing so no hypocrite here. I will be going to the next UL game at your house. I like Louisville very much and it's underrated town.

So no faith in the FG kicker huh. Is it strange to think that Petrino doesn't care? Like it gives him excuse to go for it...which is very much in his personality. For some reason that's my impression of Petrino.

Jimbo is opposite. He's a big field position guy. Going into the year we had two true frosh kickers. Turns out they are both really good. Ricky Aguyo, the little brother of our recent 2nd round draft pick kicker, set FSU record with 6 for 6 against Ole Miss and hasn't missed all year. 4th and inches Jimbo kicks every time unless it's late and we're down.

Jimbo does place a lot of emphasis on special teams. You'll see a majority of our starting team on kickoff and punt coverage. Star WR and DB returning kicks.

It really sucks that Derwin James is out for this game. He really is a generationally great DB.

To me,the game is about our read option,how the FSU defense plays it and how Lamar Jackson sees the read based off of what that defense is doing.

That and our defense's ability to swarm to the ball and TACKLE.Jmo

We lost Rankins at DT to the NFL; Brown was expected to enter as a hardship--and really so was Fields, Kelsey and Harvey-Clemons if we're being honest--but returned. He's the classic two gap plugger, the strongest kid on the roster at 6"1, 315 and has played a lot of football in big games. When it's Brown and Richardson at the DTs we're very big up the middle; when we go to a base 3-4 Brown is the DT and Bailey is more the classic DE in those sets and is the best pass rusher among the down linemen. Among the newcomers, JUCO transfer Chris Williams has been the most impressive; he's really active on the inside, has an impressive get off and a low center of gravity.

We don't have good numbers behind our DEs as that's an area hit by attrition (we lost two to graduation transfer, the DE Young who had the big game against you guys last year in Tallahassee is taking an injury redshirt); I'd say that really puts a premium on the importance of third down conversions for both offenses to take the starch out of what are quality pass rushing combos for both defenses.

Harvey-Clemons has been effective as something of a Dime LB; he's being used in blitz packages a lot more this year than last year and played closer to the box. He was riddled in Tallahassee and at Pitt when he was used as a boundary safety; he's not effective downfield.

Reactions: JohnCard28
To me,the game is about our read option,how the FSU defense plays it and how Lamar Jackson sees the read based off of what that defense is doing.

We lost Rankins at DT to the NFL; Brown was expected to enter as a hardship--and really so was Fields, Kelsey and Harvey-Clemons if we're being honest--but returned. He's the classic two gap plugger, the strongest kid on the roster at 6"1, 315 and has played a lot of football in big games. When it's Brown and Richardson at the DTs we're very big up the middle; when we go to a base 3-4 Brown is the DT and Bailey is more the classic DE in those sets and is the best pass rusher among the down linemen. Among the newcomers, JUCO transfer Chris Williams has been the most impressive; he's really active on the inside, has an impressive get off and a low center of gravity.

We don't have good numbers behind our DEs as that's an area hit by attrition (we lost two to graduation transfer, the DE Young who had the big game against you guys last year in Tallahassee is taking an injury redshirt); I'd say that really puts a premium on the importance of third down conversions for both offenses to take the starch out of what are quality pass rushing combos for both defenses.

Harvey-Clemons has been effective as something of a Dime LB; he's being used in blitz packages a lot more this year than last year and played closer to the box. He was riddled in Tallahassee and at Pitt when he was used as a boundary safety; he's not effective downfield.

Sounds like you feel it's a pretty stout DL but thin on the ends. Assuming we'll see both 3 and 4 down lineman. With 3 down lineman Clemmons will be pass rush LB.

Ole Miss had a really good DL. They shut down our run game for a majority of the game and we in turn threw to Dalvin Cook in the flats and wheel routes. Ended up with 91 rushing and 101 receiving. Sounds ok but def not what we expect from our best offensive weapon.

Man I hope we get our OG back.

Normally, I like our chances against read option and spread teams. Jimbo recruits to stop that. However, with a guy like Lamar and those WR it's easier said than done.

Reactions: earsky
Normally, I like our chances against read option and spread teams. Jimbo recruits to stop that. However, with a guy like Lamar and those WR it's easier said than done.
Syracuse made the adjustment to key on LJ at some point in the second quarter.It took him a bit to pick up on it,but when he did,he saw the holes open up for Radcliff.That play is 100% about his decisions.I hope he makes the right ones.:)

Enjoying the discussion.

FSU got some big news tonight. Both starting OG are playing this game. This starting line, with the exception of RT, has been together since first game last year. The RT is a converted DE and passed last year's RT during two a days.

We employ mainly a zone blocking scheme except we use HUGE guys to do it. All of them are over 6'4 and 310...over. For whatever reason the communication/trust/whatever goes all to hell when you swap out players. I get it, but I don't understand how it can literally go from really good to WTF with one lineman swapped out. It is not easy to play OL for FSU.

Having the starting OL together gives me a big boost in confidence.

Also, Nate Andrews our Sr Safety is back. Takes the sting out of losing James. Nate will be calling the overages and getting the DB's lined up. He was starting nickel back on the 13 champ team.

I'm not much of a play breakdown guy, so this post is a little out-of-context...Sorry about that...

Just extending my usual welcome to ACC fans esp. of programs as important as FSU's. I'm confident you'll find our fans respectful and very appreciative of the Noles and how you guys contributed to making this game happen.

If you're attending the game, hope you have a great time (except for the game result) and keep returning. And whichever team wins, let's win out and make this season memorable.

Go Noles, Cards, and the ACC ! ! !
Had a great time with Louisville fans two years ago. I expected the FSU/Louisville rivalry to be a good one, but the magnitude of Saturday's game has surprised me, not so much that FSU is where it is but that Louisville has made such great progress so as to make this a NATIONALLY relevant game. Jackson is a terrific qb and this promises to be an outstanding contest. Can't wish you good luck this Saturday, but I look forward to many years of highly competitive football.

I love this thread. Love seeing civil discussions with fans of our opponents. Believe me, we are not used to that with our in state rival. SInce so much has been said about players and schemes, I don't have anything to really offer on that. Maybe except our O-line is very big too. A few 6'6, 325 lb types. And they have been together since game one of last year. No, what I will do here is a synopsis of sort on the Louisville Cardinals football team. I know that most FSU fans haven't followed closely the Cards accession since the start of last season.

Going into the 2015 season, the question for the Cards was who's the QB? Lamar Jackson wasn't even in the discussion. We had after all, three guys with starting experience. Will Gardner, Reggie Bonnafon and Kyle Bolin. Bolin threw for over 300 yards against Georgia in the bowl game and Bonnafon won at Notre Dame. However, it took but one game before we all saw what Jackson could do. If there would have been five more minutes, he would have beaten Auburn. Still, he was raw and didn't know what he was doing for most of the season. Petrino put him in then took him out. It was really frustrating for us fans. But on that day last October in Tallahassee he was given the keys against the mighty 'Noles. He did a lot, throwing for over 300 yards... but we lost.

And we have only lost once since that game.

After the game against FSU, Jackson got banged up a bit and Bolin took back the reigns in the wins over Syracuse and Virginia. It was looking like Bolin was going to be the man and Jackson would be used in the "wildcat" formation. However, the Cards defense took the 1st half off against Pitt by giving up 45 1st half points. Jackson was brought in and like the Auburn game, led a comeback that fell short. So going in to the final regular season game at our big rival Kentucky, most fans figured Jackson would start. However, Bolin started and threw 2 INTS and we were down 21-0 in a blink of an eye. So, you guessed it. In comes Lamar Jackson and what he did in that game set the plate for what was to come in the bowl game and for the year 2016.

Lamar Jackson had close to a month to prepare for Texas A&M and their stud DL Myles Garrett. He only finished the game with 453 total yards in the win. Everybody knew then. Coaches, players, fans and media. Lamar Jackson was going to be the starter in 2016 and watch out. After all, he would have close to nine months to prepare and learn what Bobby Petrino wanted out of him. And boy, did he learn.

The Cards are 8-1 since that 2nd half beat down against FSU. The guys have all seen that film footage of not playing hard as Cook and the boys turned it up after that less than spectacular 1st half. This is the game that has been circled, especially by the defense. This time, you guys are in our house with a QB who is still learning while putting up monstrous numbers. And most importantly, Jameis Winston is not walking through that door. If there was ever a time for the Louisville Cardinals to get that big regular season win, it's now. We got that big postseason win against Florida a few years ago when Teddy Bridgewater lit up the Gators. A game Lamar Jackson said he watched and knew then that he wanted to play for the University of Louisville.

Just like in the movies.

Go Cards!

Reactions: C_a_RDS and SoulSr
Thanks RealVille. I do remember the QB controversy leading into last years game but did not know Jackson wasn't even in consideration. A true freshmen usurping a 3 headed QB controversy makes for legend.

The Noles game must've been circled since the 2014 game when Jameis brought em back from 21 down. Until the Ole Miss game two weeks ago, (down 22), this was the largest come from behind victory in FSU all time history. That had to sting on a Thur night.

Speaking historically, I don't remember Petrino ever having a running QB or using the read option. He always had big tall traditional gunslingers back there from what I recall. Did he change his offensive philosophy just for Jackson?

I do remember the beat down you guys put on the gators. A thing of beauty. Doing it with a Miami Northwestern QB formerly committed to the canes made it even sweeter. I remember the recruitment of Teddy and the shock of UM fans. Gator and cane tears are so delicious. It's wild that this is when Lamar decided on UL. He was recruited by the gators, and FSU for that matter. Jimbo liked him as an athlete tho.

All Nole fans remember the Thur night game in 2002 during a torrential rainstorm that nationally ranked FSU got beat down in Louisville. Brohm, was that the QB? I've hated Thur night games since that night.

I"m glad it's a nooner game. It's dumb but it favors Noles.

...Speaking historically, I don't remember Petrino ever having a running QB or using the read option. He always had big tall traditional gunslingers back there from what I recall. Did he change his offensive philosophy just for Jackson?...
Petrino grew up under the coaching tutelage of his father who ran an option QB system. But you're right, Petrino Jr. coached more of a pro attack during his Louisville and Arkansas stints.

He did leave U of L the first time in an ill-fated attempt to coach Michael Vick in Atlanta. And he's recruiting mostly hybrid QBs now in Louisville. He calls it a "multiple" system, and his playbook evidently contains just about everything.

I don't think this is an offense developed for Lamar Jackson. But there's no question that Jackson is the style of QB that Petrino is recruiting today...

Reactions: beasleythecard
That's what Jimbo calls his defense "multiple". He sTicks to pro-style offense tho. We've had running QBs but rarely does he call designated run. Won't let them run in practice. Doesn't want to get them hurt.

Jameis and Francois were both #1 dual threat QB out of high school.

Speaking of recruiting. When we gonna start seeing UL in top 10 recruiting rankings? If Clemson can so can UL.

Thanks RealVille. I do remember the QB controversy leading into last years game but did not know Jackson wasn't even in consideration. A true freshmen usurping a 3 headed QB controversy makes for legend.

The Noles game must've been circled since the 2014 game when Jameis brought em back from 21 down. Until the Ole Miss game two weeks ago, (down 22), this was the largest come from behind victory in FSU all time history. That had to sting on a Thur night.

Speaking historically, I don't remember Petrino ever having a running QB or using the read option. He always had big tall traditional gunslingers back there from what I recall. Did he change his offensive philosophy just for Jackson?

I do remember the beat down you guys put on the gators. A thing of beauty. Doing it with a Miami Northwestern QB formerly committed to the canes made it even sweeter. I remember the recruitment of Teddy and the shock of UM fans. Gator and cane tears are so delicious. It's wild that this is when Lamar decided on UL. He was recruited by the gators, and FSU for that matter. Jimbo liked him as an athlete tho.

All Nole fans remember the Thur night game in 2002 during a torrential rainstorm that nationally ranked FSU got beat down in Louisville. Brohm, was that the QB? I've hated Thur night games since that night.

I"m glad it's a nooner game. It's dumb but it favors Noles.

In '02 that was Dave Ragone at QB. Big things were expected of that squad, but the OL and RBs proved to be not as consistent as needed. But the FSU game was the only marquee matchup on the schedule that year.

...Speaking of recruiting. When we gonna start seeing UL in top 10 recruiting rankings? If Clemson can so can UL.
IMO Top 10 will be a stretch for a long time, maybe forever. Top 20 is a more realistic goal in the near future.

I've gone back and looked at schools that have moved to better conferences like our move to the ACC. Rarely if ever has any team's recruiting taken a bump higher. That suggests that the factors intrinsic to your football program are the most important: your history, coach, facilities, etc. Sustained improvement in recruiting is a long term process.

But if you look where U of L was 30 years ago in football, that's what's going on here. We just have to be patient and keep a really good coach on our sidelines...

I think a championship would do it. If the Cards were to win the whole thing this season, the next few classes would see many more 4 star recruits and some 5 star. Louisville I agree will probably never be a top 5 class each and every year like Alabama and Ohio State. But a consistent top 10 I can see. Of course continued success is a must which has been the problem in the past. Louisville was a stepping stone for coaches. John L. Smith, Petrino and Strong all left after getting the Cards on the verge of sustained success. This time Petrino plans on staying so it's just a matter of when and not if, the Louisville football program is a yearly title contender.

I think a championship would do it. If the Cards were to win the whole thing this season, the next few classes would see many more 4 star recruits and some 5 star. Louisville I agree will probably never be a top 5 class each and every year like Alabama and Ohio State. But a consistent top 10 I can see. Of course continued success is a must which has been the problem in the past. Louisville was a stepping stone for coaches. John L. Smith, Petrino and Strong all left after getting the Cards on the verge of sustained success. This time Petrino plans on staying so it's just a matter of when and not if, the Louisville football program is a yearly title contender.

I firmly believe that recruiting rankings are just as much a reflection of the schools recruiting the players as it is the quality of the recruits. Now that Louisville is in the ACC, our unheralded verbal commitments are given 3-star rankings more often than not, whereas in the past they were routinely rated as 2-star players.

Two examples of what I mean about the program reputation affecting recruiting rankings: back when we were in CUSA, Elvis Dumervil was a 4-star here on rivals when he was being recruited by Miami and Syracuse, but when he chose Louisville (because Coach Smith promised him that he would not redshirt here and that he would not be moved from defensive end to linebacker), his rating dropped from 4-star to 3-star. More recently, Devante Parker was considered a talented local prospect, but since he did not participate in football camps, and because he shut down his recruitment once he had a UofL offer, his rating was left as a 3-star, despite the intense lobbying of Howie Lindsey here at CardinalSports.com. Parker turned out to be the 11th pick in the 2015 NFL draft, and Dumervil has been to multiple Pro Bowls.

Were Louisville to win an ACC championship or even a national championship, those accomplishments would certainly open doors that are currently closed for the elite prospects. But even our unheralded recruits would be ranked higher - and per the Rivals formula, the top 20 commitments are the ones that count toward the rivals score.

I firmly believe that recruiting rankings are just as much a reflection of the schools recruiting the players as it is the quality of the recruits. Now that Louisville is in the ACC, our unheralded verbal commitments are given 3-star rankings more often than not, whereas in the past they were routinely rated as 2-star players.

Two examples of what I mean about the program reputation affecting recruiting rankings: back when we were in CUSA, Elvis Dumervil was a 4-star here on rivals when he was being recruited by Miami and Syracuse, but when he chose Louisville (because Coach Smith promised him that he would not redshirt here and that he would not be moved from defensive end to linebacker), his rating dropped from 4-star to 3-star. More recently, Devante Parker was considered a talented local prospect, but since he did not participate in football camps, and because he shut down his recruitment once he had a UofL offer, his rating was left as a 3-star, despite the intense lobbying of Howie Lindsey here at CardinalSports.com. Parker turned out to be the 11th pick in the 2015 NFL draft, and Dumervil has been to multiple Pro Bowls.

Were Louisville to win an ACC championship or even a national championship, those accomplishments would certainly open doors that are currently closed for the elite prospects. But even our unheralded recruits would be ranked higher - and per the Rivals formula, the top 20 commitments are the ones that count toward the rivals score.
You all have done pretty darn well with unheralded recruits!

You all have done pretty darn well with unheralded recruits!

Thanks Jon. Coach Schnellenberger used to say there are many great players out there that the recruiting services don't know about. It's a little less of a mystery in this day of the Internet, but I definitely believe his statement is still true today.

Our past recruiting rankings are deceptive not just because of what I mentioned in my past posts but also because transfers do not count in the rankings. Harvey-Clemons, Fields, Wiggins, Alphonso Carter, and JaQuay Savage are all highly rated transfers from Big XII and SEC schools. Petrino says he tries very hard to never miss a chance to add a great player to the roster.

36 years ago this week, I met my now wife on a blind date...to the FSU-Louisville game in Tallahassee. The Noles had a good team that year.

We had a blast, became a couple, and 33 years ago Saturday, we wed.

We'll celebrate this weekend, win or lose.

Didn't think about transfers. Either way the game goes this should be a win in recruiting.

Win...come join a championship team.
Lose...we need one more piece to win big, you will make us win.

Reactions: C_a_RDS
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT