ADVERTISEMENT

Fan Experience

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
This morning Vince Tyra spoke of some new things we will see this season to move this way. A few months ago, I made the following post regarding improving the fan experience. So I will pose this: What do you think of the items Tyra has announced and what other things would you like to see?

I think Tyra brings a consumer-centric mind- set to the position. So my hope is that he looks at the issue from a consumer perspective (ie: why are fans staying away and how can we enhance the fan experience to drive attendance). Jurich was a genius at getting big fish to buy expensive seats. He also was good at appealing to those that liked to drink and was great at getting promotional advertising dollars. However I think that his blind spot was making the game experience better for the fan that isn’t quite as passionate or isn’t able to afford luxury seats. I know that Tyra has been meeting with other ADs to get their thoughts/input on many things, including fan engagement.

Here are some ideas I’ve seen or heard:

- better food options (ie FSU had Chik-Fil-A)
- inexpensive food options(the new dome in Atlanta slashed food prices and saw its food revenue go up
- FSU had misting stations and water bottle refills for warm games
- FSU had a big fan gathering area right next to the stadium (it’s a great way to get fans into the stadium early because they aren’t lingering at their tailgate)
- Clemson doesn’t bombard you with advertisements and they replay every play on video board including controversial calls
- once per year Chicago Bears season ticket holders are given a sideline pass to experience warmups on the field prior to the game

9 Knucklehank1, Feb 6, 2018

Reactions: SoulSr
I'm all for giving back to the fans. HOW to do that is not really a concern for me--it's a good idea by whatever means that a majority of fans want.

BUT there's no altruism involved here, nor is this breakthrough thinking on Tyra's part. People marketing their product discount it for two reasons: to hurt competitors, and/or as a sign of weakness. I really doubt the first applies to U of L in their current situation. Much more likely that Tyra is discounting his product to attract more fans or at least stem financial losses.

It started before this year. For example, it's been happening in men's basketball for awhile. Get-in prices for season tickets decline every year. Last year, it was $19; this year it's $15.

There are a few thousand new cheap seats in football to sell on top of unsold original seats.

On a comparable basis, ticket revenue in FY 2019 is budgeted to decline 15-20% in both of the major revenue sports.

Tyra needs all the help he can get by lowering prices...

Improving fan experience is a lot more than just lowering some concession prices. Schools that don’t get out in front this are going to have big stadiums with a lot fans disguised as empty seats. This is occurring in nearly every major sport and venue.

Reactions: Guardman and gocds
They lost four of us about 5 years ago when we decided there wasn't enough bang for the buck. Finding the experience to be more enjoyable at home.

They lost four of us about 5 years ago when we decided there wasn't enough bang for the buck. Finding the experience to be more enjoyable at home.

Sorry I don’t mean to be critical but five years ago that was the end of Charlie Strong’s tenure and the beginning of Bobby Petrino 2.0. Not sure what “bang for the buck” you were looking for. Maybe you can get a little deeper into your meaning. As for me, I’m a dyed in the red UofL fan and there’s been nothing that has made me cop out on buying tickets. Hey I even stuck around during the Cooper and Kragthorpe years. Bang for my buck is consistent winning teams and we’ve had that. Plus consistent leadership and, in my opinion, we’ve had that also. I guess I’m not sure what you’re looking for. Maybe you could be more explanatory. Yeah there are things at football games that irritate me like fans not being in their seats at game time OR fans not being in their seats during the game. But if a person pays their money they can do what they want to do and I’ll just have to be ok with that.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

gocards, we start tailgating at around 3 PM for Indiana State. WKU baseball scrimmage the next weekend at 1 PM followed by tailgating. Don't be shy...

Reactions: gocds
gocards, we start tailgating at around 3 PM for Indiana State. WKU baseball scrimmage the next weekend at 1 PM followed by tailgating. Don't be shy...

I’ll certainly keep all of that in mind. Thanks for the update and info.

Reactions: zipp

That’s funny because it’s about the football game. That is the experience! Geez

Reactions: mwatson61

I love football and would never give up my tix. That being said there are definitely some things that annoy me before, during and after the game:

- parking situation. Our tailgate has two spots next to each other in the green lot. There are two more adjacent spots that no one ever parks in. One of buddies (who is a UofL professor) contacted the athletic office about getting those spots and that request was denied.

- the lack of replays, especially on controversial calls, pisses me off. In fact, if I ever drop basketball tickets, this reason will be high on the list. I shouldn’t have to look on twitter to find out what happened.

- the constant mind-numbing commercials and stupid halftime crap. Double the size of the band and quit all the extraneous halftime garbage

- there are no real cheers other than C A R D S.

- the pregame intro last year was weak and the in game music is pretty rough. I like Van Halen but come on

- the internet in the stadium has improved but still oftentimes stinks

- people that yell at our own fans to cheer and make noise while we are on offense

- exiting the green lot after the game. It seems that every game they change the way you have to leave. We like to turn left and head towards Central. Sometimes they let us, other times they don’t

I love football and would never give up my tix. That being said there are definitely some things that annoy me before, during and after the game:

- parking situation. Our tailgate has two spots next to each other in the green lot. There are two more adjacent spots that no one ever parks in. One of buddies (who is a UofL professor) contacted the athletic office about getting those spots and that request was denied.

- the lack of replays, especially on controversial calls, pisses me off. In fact, if I ever drop basketball tickets, this reason will be high on the list. I shouldn’t have to look on twitter to find out what happened.

- the constant mind-numbing commercials and stupid halftime crap. Double the size of the band and quit all the extraneous halftime garbage

- there are no real cheers other than C A R D S.

- the pregame intro last year was weak and the in game music is pretty rough. I like Van Halen but come on

- the internet in the stadium has improved but still oftentimes stinks

- people that yell at our own fans to cheer and make noise while we are on offense

- exiting the green lot after the game. It seems that every game they change the way you have to leave. We like to turn left and head towards Central. Sometimes they let us, other times they don’t

Yep. But your still there with 45,000 to 50,000 Card fans cheering the team on and home field advantage is a real deal.

Just be glad your not trying to get out of Clemson home games. It took us nearly 3 hour to go the distance that normally takes 45 minutes. Nothing’s perfect but improvements can be made. But I’m there for the football.

Reactions: Mayoman
Yep. But your still there with 45,000 to 50,000 Card fans cheering the team on and home field advantage is a real deal.

Just be glad your not trying to get out of Clemson home games. It took us nearly 3 hour to go the distance that normally takes 45 minutes. Nothing’s perfect but improvements can be made. But I’m there for the football.

2 years ago I got out of Clemson in record time. We parked in the furthest lot and then jumped a curb out of that lot and made it back to Greenville in no time. Hopefully this year will be a win and I’ll be more agreeable about taking a leisurely pace back to the car.

2 years ago I got out of Clemson in record time. We parked in the furthest lot and then jumped a curb out of that lot and made it back to Greenville in no time. Hopefully this year will be a win and I’ll be more agreeable about taking a leisurely pace back to the car.

We went down for the last two games. The first time it was bad last time horrible(Getting back to Greenville). We’re not going to be able to make the trip this year, so will probably win. Hope you guys get out of there like last time. It’s still worth the trip. Had a great time both trips with the exception of the scores.

We are going to Orlando!

We went down for the last two games. The first time it was bad last time horrible(Getting back to Greenville). We’re not going to be able to make the trip this year, so will probably win. Hope you guys get out of there like last time. It’s still worth the trip. Had a great time both trips with the exception of the scores.

We are going to Orlando!

We are going to Orlando!

We are going to Orlando as well. I’m a big fan of these opening game neutral site matchups. I prefer these over going to mid tier bowl games. Think I heard UofL has sold around 7000 tickets. If that’s the case, I’m guessing there will be around 10000 UofL fans. We are gonna be vastly out numbered by Bama people.

We are going to Orlando!

We are going to Orlando as well. I’m a big fan of these opening game neutral site matchups. I prefer these over going to mid tier bowl games. Think I heard UofL has sold around 7000 tickets. If that’s the case, I’m guessing there will be around 10000 UofL fans. We are gonna be vastly out numbered by Bama people.

When I bought our tickets shortly after they were available Bama had nearly sold out their side. I hope we have more than 10,000 fans.

I’m with you I like the kickoff games at a neutral site. We also attended the Auburn game and that was an easy trip and much better than a lower level bowl.

When I bought our tickets shortly after they were available Bama had nearly sold out their side. I hope we have more than 10,000 fans.

I’m with you I like the kickoff games at a neutral site. We also attended the Auburn game and that was an easy trip and much better than a lower level bowl.

I stand to be corrected, but I believe the 10,000 number is the point where we get our full 2+ million payout for participating in this game. I’m thinking that Alabama is getting almost 3 million for about 18,000 tickets sold. If we indeed do have 10K then you can color me proud of our fanbase. We do not have the football fanbase that Alabama has.

I stand to be corrected, but I believe the 10,000 number is the point where we get our full 2+ million payout for participating in this game. I’m thinking that Alabama is getting almost 3 million for about 18,000 tickets sold. If we indeed do have 10K then you can color me proud of our fanbase. We do not have the football fanbase that Alabama has.

Sadly most don’t want to travel for these like a bowl game, when in reality it’s a darn important game. If were only 8,000 less than Bama that will be good showing.

Just checked on Ticketmaster for tickets and there are plenty of tickets available on both the UofL and Bama sides. Not sure what I was looking at before.

Not too many programs that I have observed have multiple cheers ... other than UCLA.

Clemson has several different cheers. Florida does. I seem to remember Auburn having some different ones. Actually I think most schools do a few different things.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT