ADVERTISEMENT

Falcons Released Javian Hawkins

That is a surprise to me because you can’t coach speed I hope he ends p somewhere.

Disappointing, thought they liked him. Not sure exactly how the NFL wire works I assume he finds a practice squad.
Wish him the best but I believe that he let the wrong people get in his ear. A year or more in college would not have hurt him and would have prepared him for his future better. Just an opinion.

Wish him the best but I believe that he let the wrong people get in his ear. A year or more in college would not have hurt him and would have prepared him for his future better. Just an opinion.
You're probably right.

I got no idea what his NFL measurable s are, etc.

I've been keeping up with the NFL system about three years and there is a reason for agents...the system is very complicated.
Hawkins is in a bad spot unless another team signs him quickly. Practice Squad players are normally picked the day after the last cut....up to 16 per team (covid rules).
Likewise, Drake Jackson who was considered by some the best lineman not drafted has been waived...by two teams.
Lynn Bowdens season is over. Any player this year on IR before Sept 1st is ineligible to play for his team the upcoming season.
Hawkins has what you cant coach in speed. There are some teams that shy away from small backs. Next day it so will tell the tale, but ALL teams have to be at 53 by this time next week.

I agree he got some questionable advice from someone.

Javian is a small runningback. A position with a short shelf life and every hit puts him closer to the end of his days. It's always going to be an uphill battle, whether he had 1 more year or not, he'd be in the same position. The NFL knows he's fast and what he can do. They know he's a playmaker. The only thing against him is his size, and he can't change that fact.

He just needs to right system and situation to succeed in the NFL.

Reactions: Louisvillian
He may be able to increase his value if he can play special teams, not sure if he's built for that, or has ever played ST.

speed means nothing if you cannot pick up blitz/blocking protections. anyone can run the ball, the nfl needs guys who understand blocking coverage's as well as be fast. being a rookie anywhere is tough. btw, he's way better off in Tn than atl.

Javian is a small runningback. A position with a short shelf life and every hit puts him closer to the end of his days. It's always going to be an uphill battle, whether he had 1 more year or not, he'd be in the same position. The NFL knows he's fast and what he can do. They know he's a playmaker. The only thing against him is his size, and he can't change that fact.

He just needs to right system and situation to succeed in the NFL.
It’s a great point and guys Javian’s size are already behind the 8 ball in the minds of NFL coaches unless you can split out and be an effective weapon in the passing game.

Unfortunately for him and his current situation, Javian is a pure Running Back in an undersized body but I’d never underestimate this guy.

Most of us who questioned Hawkins leaving a year early, expressed concern as to his ability to play without injury. His small size definitely contributed to that concern, but I believed that if he had returned for his senior season, and performed up to the expectations so many applied to his capability without injury ……. It would have raised his draft status significantly. No assurances either way, but I think most NFL teams required more evidence that he could avoid the injuries he had experienced his last year at UL. His decision to sit out the last few games was an indication that Javian and his agent both feared injury; in his case not a good optic.

He could make the Titans, especially if he contributes on special teams and proves he can catch. Tennessee is smash mouth football and really needs that change of Pace Hawkins can bring.
Rough time to slide over...7 running backs on the 80 man list.

A shot is all anyone can ask for.

I will pull for tutu, but my feelings towards Hawkins is I don’t care (not that it bothers him 😀) Hawkins quit on the team last year….

Reactions: PHCARD
Hawkins looked good for the Titans last night, fwiw. Making the final roster is 50/50, imo.

I will pull for tutu, but my feelings towards Hawkins is I don’t care (not that it bothers him 😀) Hawkins quit on the team last year….
Tutu bailed, too, though. Just not as quick as Hawkins did.

Hawkins followed the bad advice of an opportunistic agent; his and Tutu’s leaving before the end of the season leaves me with the same sense …… little or no interest in their future away from UL.

I honestly didn't recall the player exits. I can see how people would be disappointed. I don't follow it closely, some guys quit on their team before bowl games. There's just so much $ at risk in sports, and these guys have a small window to get it, they have family members they want to take care of, and a lot has to go their way to get paid, I don't personally hold they exit style against them, but I can see how others could.

I honestly didn't recall the player exits. I can see how people would be disappointed. I don't follow it closely, some guys quit on their team before bowl games. There's just so much $ at risk in sports, and these guys have a small window to get it, they have family members they want to take care of, and a lot has to go their way to get paid, I don't personally hold they exit style against them, but I can see how others could.

Hawkins quit about half way through the season.

The issue most NFL scouts expressed about Hawkins, was his physicality and ability to play without injury. His decision to leave UL early, purportedly in order to protect himself from injury only reinforced the major concern the NFL had for a RB at his size. No one questioned his speed and athleticism.

As of last night, Hawkins and Fitzgerald were both with the Titans. Most analysts list Tutu and Fitzgerald as safe, and have Hawkins as Tennessees third back.
Of course, according to most 'analysts' Drake Jackson from UK was seriously underrated and a certain 53 man lock....he was waived, picked up and waived again.
We never really know.

There are just so many good players. NFL finds them from all divisions of college. They may even find a guy at Target or Kroger who has never played and put them on the opening day depth chart.

Dez is next to be cut. Sounds like he didn't bring his A game to camp.

Reggie B. cut by the Panthers. He's in line for an injury settlement.

Very few waived players get signed by other squads, especially rookies. Most end up signing with their original teams as project players.
Fitzpatrick was a surprise.....a Tennessee reporter simply said ....."Does Fitzpatrick is not the 6th best wr in training camp, but coaches are hesitant to waive that kind of talent..."

NFL is all about numbers, dollars, position and timing....and luck.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT