ADVERTISEMENT

Execution

Rhino1973

Getting the Hang of It
Jul 24, 2019
Lack of execution can make a good team look incompitant. I'm not debating the lack of direction regaurding CBP's recruiting but i do not agree that last years collapse was a talent issue. Players need to be put in a position to succeed. The reality is Bobby Petrino 2.0 was a completely different coach than 1.0. He changed his whole offensive philosophy to accommodate a once I'm a lifetime player in Lamar Jackson. He gave LJ the green light to create as needed. In turn BP became lazy, lost his creative drive and became an all around average coach. It became more obvious as the games wore on. For two straight seasons LJ stayed in the shotgun which took our running backs straight out of the game. He was allowed to audible whenever he felt the defensive set warranted it and made life on the o' line way harder than it should be. The communication problems between he and the center was one result. Another was our o- linmen having to hold blocks for waaaaay to long resulting in fatigue. The sacks started piling up and you know the rest. When LJ left for the NFL one would assume BP would return to his former play calling style with our qb under center and a concerted effort include our playmakers. Only it didn't happen. He kept Pass in the gun which does not fit his strengths and pretty much gave up on feeding the studs. He lost his discipline, his aggressiveness and any hope of any competent assistant working with him. He gave up. . put a top 10 15 coach on the sidelines with the same players and the results would be night and day. Again. Even the best teams would look lost without a coach.

CBP was part of the problem, but not all. Ultimately the head coach is accountable for the players he recruits, their preparation, and game decisions. For whatever reason, Bobby didn’t get it done last year and the team was an embarrassment. He paid for it with his job (and got paid in the process).

CBP was part of the problem, but not all. Ultimately the head coach is accountable for the players he recruits, their preparation, and game decisions. For whatever reason, Bobby didn’t get it done last year and the team was an embarrassment. He paid for it with his job (and got paid in the process).
I would agree with the first sentence wholeheartedly. I think our defense has had tackling issues since Bedford left. Not sure if that’s a coaching concern or a question of talent, maybe both.

Seeing a football thread titled “Execution”, I am reminded of the great quote that was attributed to John McKay when he was coach of the Tampa Bay Bucs during their early years when the team was playing very poorly. After yet another loss, he was asked what he thought of the team’s execution. The reply was: “I am in favor of it.” Too funny!

After zero wins in their first year and two wins in their second year, McKay had the Bucs in the NFC championship in their fourth year. I’m not sure that the Cards can turn things around that quickly, but I do think we’ll see significantly improved execution this year.

Seeing a football thread titled “Execution”, I am reminded of the great quote that was attributed to John McKay when he was coach of the Tampa Bay Bucs during their early years when the team was playing very poorly. After yet another loss, he was asked what he thought of the team’s execution. The reply was: “I am in favor of it.” Too funny!

After zero wins in their first year and two wins in their second year, McKay had the Bucs in the NFC championship in their fourth year. I’m not sure that the Cards can turn things around that quickly, but I do think we’ll see significantly improved execution this year.
I actually thought the same thing. McKay was a hoot!

Lack of execution can make a good team look incompitant. I'm not debating the lack of direction regaurding CBP's recruiting but i do not agree that last years collapse was a talent issue. Players need to be put in a position to succeed. The reality is Bobby Petrino 2.0 was a completely different coach than 1.0. He changed his whole offensive philosophy to accommodate a once I'm a lifetime player in Lamar Jackson. He gave LJ the green light to create as needed. In turn BP became lazy, lost his creative drive and became an all around average coach. It became more obvious as the games wore on. For two straight seasons LJ stayed in the shotgun which took our running backs straight out of the game. He was allowed to audible whenever he felt the defensive set warranted it and made life on the o' line way harder than it should be. The communication problems between he and the center was one result. Another was our o- linmen having to hold blocks for waaaaay to long resulting in fatigue. The sacks started piling up and you know the rest. When LJ left for the NFL one would assume BP would return to his former play calling style with our qb under center and a concerted effort include our playmakers. Only it didn't happen. He kept Pass in the gun which does not fit his strengths and pretty much gave up on feeding the studs. He lost his discipline, his aggressiveness and any hope of any competent assistant working with him. He gave up. . put a top 10 15 coach on the sidelines with the same players and the results would be night and day. Again. Even the best teams would look lost without a coach.
How many wins do you see that translating to?

That McKay quote is probably my favorite sports quip of all time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT