ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Way Too Early College Basketball Top 25 2016-2017

Is anyone declaring for the draft? Obviously the two seniors but anyone unexpected with actual intentions of keeping their name in? I like the new rule change but it seems like now everyone and the 2nd cousins bf is putting in.

No one from U of L has made the decision to enter the Draft. A couple, Onuaku and maybe one or two others, will submit paperwork for their evaluation. But only Onuaku is considered as having a real chance of leaving this year, and it's debatable how big a possibility that is.

Next year, probably half the team will seriously pursue it (submit paperwork).

"Elite program", my a$$...

Chinu will come back since he's mostly likely a late 2nd rounder right now. He could be the most dominant big man in ACC next year and with improved defense, rebounding, and shot blocking, he can easily be a 1st rounder and a defensive stalwart in NBA.

Side jab - I seriously doubt a coach like the Squid could turn Chinu into a 1st round pick

I hope we don't have to pin everything on Onuaku coming back.Reason being,you never know what he might do.Tbs,I think the team will still have big bodies to take up the slack.I watched yet another championship game the other night where guard and wing play seemed to dominate the outcome.

Reactions: shadow force
What I feel Nanu needs to work on is moving his feet defensively. The NBA is a pick and roll league and he struggles moving his feet and defending the pick n roll.

I like the new rule which gives these kids the chance to be evaluated without giving up their amateur status. If he's ready, then the NBA scouts will let him know. If not then I suspect he'll decide to come back for his junior season.
Yep, that as a good rule change. I think more are coming as the NCAA tries to make the P5 schools happier. Their extinction would be welcomed by me.

Teague? Freshman? NC? Ring any bells?

Didn't realize Teague was a pair of guards. That's pretty impressive. o_O

Also, I'm fairly sure UofK won that title game mainly because of Anthony Davis, Terrance Jones, and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist who made Teague look better than he actually was.

Last edited:
Didn't realize we were talking about other positions? I believe the post was talking about guards? Not the supporting cast.

Not surprised. The post you were trying to make fun of stated
I can't see uk going that far next year with a pair of freshmen guards

He didn't say anything about ONE. He said a PAIR. I realize reading comprehension is not your friend. I'm here to help.

Hahaha here we go again. Ok I'll play with ya. It didn't say anything about a supporting cast or AD either. Not surprised either, you tend to pick out what benefits your argument (lack thereof). Your move
There is no move to make. We're just going in circles to entertain each other. I'm bored and wanted to pick on someone with a few less brain cells. You're bored and think you're doing the same thing. Bottom line is Teague was ONE guard. The message you attacked stated that he couldn't see UofK making a deep run with a PAIR of frosh guards. Not one but two. One + one = two. I simply pointed out that the real reason UofK won that year was because of the supporting cast. Not that ONE freshman guard.

Again, I'm here to help. Read it multiple times. Read it slow. There is always hope it sinks in to a level of partial understanding. That's my hope anyway.

First off there was no attack, so your right about reading it again, just the wrong person. 2nd some of us have to work during the week to support people like you possibly who get to set and read message boards all day. So keep picking apart posts and pointing out things that you are doing yourself, and trying to get under someone's skin and acting like it's an ACT reading test instead of a bball board. As Have a nice day bro
Sure it was an attack. Maybe a poorly played out attack, but an attack just the same. You didn't like the UofK reference of doing something you perceived as negative and attacked the poster with a snarky yet inaccurate response. I jumped in just because I could and now your panties are in a wad whining about it while trying to twist my words around, unsuccessfully I might add.

You have a nice day too Bro-meter.

I like this to start the year. D. Lee was such a large part of our offense that it'll take a month or two to figure out how to replace him. As the season goes on....watch out.

"I could care less". You just can't make these guy up. It's always sad to see the lack of ability for some to communicate in our language. It reminds me of the trashing of our "Rodes Scholar" a few years ago. They just aren't very good at this. I do think the excitement over the number of seniors in the final four this year proved how the rest of the world feels about schools with a 17% grad rate.

Real fans want to see solid talented team play not the 1-on-1 AAU ball you get with the OAD type players. Solid Team Play come with experienced players who have been together for a while. That usually results in having 1-3 juniors and seniors. The college game should be played by student athletes.

Reactions: Cue Card
Should be a great game in Louisville next year with 2 top 5 teams going at each other. Contrary to these rankings, I think U of L will be the better team and should beat us in the Yum.

I just don't see 2 freshmen guards going into that hornet's nest and dealing with the kind of pressure CRP dials up. Maybe if Briscoe comes back he will stabilize things, but Fox and Monk will have their hands full.

Reactions: OneEarWonder
"I could care less". You just can't make these guy up. It's always sad to see the lack of ability for some to communicate in our language. It reminds me of the trashing of our "Rodes Scholar" a few years ago. They just aren't very good at this. I do think the excitement over the number of seniors in the final four this year proved how the rest of the world feels about schools with a 17% grad rate.

I laughed.

Reactions: kyjeff1
I honestly care more about beating Duke next year than UK...Duke will be the best team with most talent and affects our conference standings.

Reactions: OneEarWonder
I honestly care more about beating Duke next year than UK...Duke will be the best team with most talent and affects our conference standings.
If they get Bolden today they will be TOUGH to beat. Good thing is every time they get a stacked team they always find some way to blow it in the tourney.

What's your definition of far in the tournament? Final 4? Championship game?

This is a weird subject. You see lots of posts that say the game in December in meaningless to U of L because Rick coaches for March and Cal comes up short in the tourney, yet the actual results are exactly the opposite of that (at least comparatively) By my quick recollection, Cal has had "a pair of freshmen guards" playing the bulk of the minutes 3 times in his 7 years here. He has one elite 8 and 2 Final Fours to show for it.

It's all relative. A sweet 16 with a roster of upperclassmen 3 and 4 stars could be viewed as a success, whereas a final four but no title with a roster of 5 star freshmen could be viewed as a failure. IMO once you get to the elite 8, all bets are off. You are dealing with 8 teams who have beaten at least 2 excellent teams already. One could point to Virignia having back to back to back amazing regular seasons in the ACC and failing to reach the Final Four as a major disappointment, but anything can happen in a one and done tourney. Rick had 5 teams at UK that probably could have won the title and was able to win one. That's an acceptable rate in a one and done tourney. Similarly, Cal has had 5 teams that probably could have won the title at UK and has one to show for it. That's just the way it is.

Last edited:
Brandon Knight and Doron Lamb took Kentucky to the Final 4 in 2011 as Freshman. The Harrison twins as Freshman also took Kentucky to the Title game, how soon we forget.

If they get Bolden today they will be TOUGH to beat. Good thing is every time they get a stacked team they always find some way to blow it in the tourney.
Who knows how good Harry Giles will be coming off his ACL injury. If Chinu comes back next year, we're going to be huge.

Chinu - 6'10"
Mangok - 6'11"
Spalding - 6'9"
Anas - 7'0"
Matz - 7'1"
JJ - 6'9"

If Ray could learn to play the 3 with his athleticism, this could be a potential lineup

PG - Hicks, 6'2
SG - Mitchell, 6'3"
SF - Spalding, 6'9"
PF - Chinu, 6'10"
C - Mangok, 6'11"

Who knows how good Harry Giles will be coming off his ACL injury. If Chinu comes back next year, we're going to be huge.

Chinu - 6'10"
Mangok - 6'11"
Spalding - 6'9"
Anas - 7'0"
Matz - 7'1"
JJ - 6'9"

If Ray could learn to play the 3 with his athleticism, this could be a potential lineup

PG - Hicks, 6'2
SG - Mitchell, 6'3"
SF - Spalding, 6'9"
PF - Chinu, 6'10"
C - Mangok, 6'11"

That's a pretty solid lineup. If they would buy into a zone defense it would be a tough gig to get to the basket. Make teams rely on the 3. Almost resembles our team last year except we don't play zone EVER!!! But all that size on defense lead to some easy buckets off blocks, turnovers, ect.... Not to many college teams have size from top to bottom like they do in the league, only problem is mismatches from picks. Can they all guard multiple pos.?

Real fans want to see solid talented team play not the 1-on-1 AAU ball you get with the OAD type players. Solid Team Play come with experienced players who have been together for a while. That usually results in having 1-3 juniors and seniors. The college game should be played by student athletes.
Okay, so go ahead and get the petition going. Can't wait to hear what you have to say when Calipari gets to keep these kids for 4 years instead of just one. I don't think you would enjoy that very much but go right ahead with that petition.
Starting over with a new team is harder than it looks.

Brandon Knight and Doron Lamb took Kentucky to the Final 4 in 2011 as Freshman. The Harrison twins as Freshman also took Kentucky to the Title game, how soon we forget.
Now, now, lets not let good ole fashion facts get in the way here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT