ADVERTISEMENT

Empty seats galore.

Huge game and the weather ain't that bad. Kinda pitiful no show by the fans.

Go Cards!

I believe this is evidence that a large part of the fan base's interest in coming out to the football games is dependent on the team being ranked, and/or the team playing a ranked opponent, and/or the time of the kick of the game - or a combination of all three.

That's the bottom line.

BC's defense was pretty good but the BC offense is what won our game. The few times they had time to throw the ball, it was dropped. That negated our turnovers .. which had we not had, we would have won the game easily

I know our defense is good but man, the BC offense was just terrible.

I was at the game as well. Took my little nephew as a last resort because nobody else wanted to go. We came out soaked even with our ponchos on, but had a blast and loved the end results. People on social media were telling us how dry they were to watch the game in the comfort of their own homes, while We sat in the rain to watch the festivities.

It was Homecoming. How do you miss Homecoming? Rose Murphy was there to represent Teddy Bridgewater. I thought that He was finally going to show, but couldn't for obvious reasons. He had a nice speech as always played up on the scoreboard screens. Deion Branch was there to get accepted into the Cardinal Hall of Fame. Howard Schnellenburger was there too.

Seats were empty around us, but filled up for the most part considering what us diehard fans were expecting. I stood up most of the game to stay warm, and dry, and could hear my voice echo in the ups flight deck, as I screamed and cheered for our team. Nobody stood behind me because the rows were completely empty for 4 rows, so I wasn't in anyone's way to care if they could see or not.

Anyways, People didn't come for several reasons. Our record, the game time, the weather, etc.

Those who didn't go missed out on a great live game experience, and a rare (this year) Homecoming, home win.

I'm still trying to salvage my Keith Kelsey posters that We got before the game that got soaked even though I had it in those family select insurance, Official Partner, red Cardinal Bag backpacks they were giving away. The poster is now rough and wrinkled around the edges with slight tear and water damage, but has it's own story to tell now.

Nostalgic.

IMO, the Cards do not need fans like you. Get a grip.

While I pretty much dislike your entire post, this sentence is the worst part of it. Who needs enemies when they have "friends" like you? Who are you to decide who can be a fan?

In MY opinion, this school and program need EVERY SINGLE FAN it can get. You want us to go back to 20-30k every week like we were in old Cardinal Stadium?

Reactions: Red Rager
My experience is that the fans who b!tch the most are the ones who give absolutely no credit to the opposition.

Boston College coming in today was #1 in the country on Total Defense...

I agree with that. I guess some of our fans overlook things like that, along with the fact that we loss 10 players from last year's team that were good enough to be drafted in the NFL. I bet FSU would have been happy to win by 3 last weekend.

I was at the game and for those criticizing the fans, look in the mirror!!! Those of us that went were loud, the stadium was full of CARD faithful's. I wish that all non sellout games were blacked out here.

I wish ALL games were blacked out locally. Even "sellouts". We might really have a sellout if they were.

I think a lot of the seats were sold. TV helps the program and the school. I believe the Athletic Department sees things differently. One such person told us that years ago when we were first in PJCS. They didn't really care if people didn't show up as long as the seats were paid for. And people are probably packed in the suites and the rooms where a lot of money is made.
We are a diverse fan base. Sometimes weather, opponent, ranking impact their actual presence at a game. We sat through the whole game. Went to FSU, Atlanta. Plan one more away game. Will be at the remaining two football games. Will be at all the MBB and WBB home games. But I bet there are better fans than me who give more money, go to volleyball, went to baseball today, etc.
Love being a Cardinal fan in the city of Louisville. Does it get any better than this? :)
Ellen

I think a lot of the seats were sold. TV helps the program and the school. I believe the Athletic Department sees things differently. One such person told us that years ago when we were first in PJCS. They didn't really care if people didn't show up as long as the seats were paid for. And people are probably packed in the suites and the rooms where a lot of money is made.
We are a diverse fan base. Sometimes weather, opponent, ranking impact their actual presence at a game. We sat through the whole game. Went to FSU, Atlanta. Plan one more away game. Will be at the remaining two football games. Will be at all the MBB and WBB home games. But I bet there are better fans than me who give more money, go to volleyball, went to baseball today, etc.
Love being a Cardinal fan in the city of Louisville. Does it get any better than this? :)
Ellen

I think there is a lot of validity to this. I know in my section, there were plenty of season ticket holding no shows. I WAS surprised to see ZERO Boston College fans in the upper deck. That's where many visiting fans sit, and that's where my seats are. I make a habit of seeking visitors out on the concourse and welcoming them to Louisville. I did not find a single BC fan from one end to the other of the upper concourse.

Last edited:
My experience is that the fans who b!tch the most are the ones who give absolutely no credit to the opposition.

Boston College coming in today was #1 in the country on Total Defense...

What is their SOS? Is that #1 ranking their adjusted ranking or is it just the ncaa ranking?

I think there is a lot of validity to this. I know in my section, there were plenty of season ticket holding no shows. I WAS surprised to see ZERO Boston College fans in the upper deck. That's where many visiting fans sit, and that's where my seats are. I make a habit of seeking visitors out on the concourse and welcoming them to Louisville. I did not find a single BC fan from one end to the other of the upper concourse.

There was a row of 6 BC fans up in the UPS Flight Deck sitting a few rows in front of me. I would have never noticed them until they stood up, turned around, and had a Cardinals fan behind them take a picture of them together. It looked like they enjoyed the game for the most part, and had fun, but I didn't see any more BC Fans other than them.

We'll how the freshmen develop in the offseason going into soph season. That's where the biggest improvement should come. Spring game next year will be very interesting. Especially if some of the incoming guys are Dec enrollees.

What is their SOS? Is that #1 ranking their adjusted ranking or is it just the ncaa ranking?
This is/was the NCAA ranking on a yards allowed per game basis. RPI shows Boston College's SOS as #56 out of 253 teams that it ranks. That's not a great schedule, but it's representative. For example, LSU's schedule is rated 46th and Alabama's 50th.

If you simply wanna rate U of L against its SOS, the Cards' schedule is ranked 10th...

I think you realistically have a chance to finish out at 8-4. Noon games have a tremendous effect on tailgaters and so does the weather, so I wouldn't worry too much about the crowd. In addition, you also have a very young team and I think they will gel more and more as the season progresses.
It looks like another tough season for us....6-6 or 7-5 if we are extremely lucky.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT