ADVERTISEMENT

Emmert Says Paying Athletes would kill other sports...

glassmanJ

2500+
Jan 26, 2007
so instead of the schools paying athletes why not simply let the boosters pay athletes? that ends all discussions. schools won't have to give up a dime so no sports eliminated. the only people paying money are those who have it. you remain an amateur because no sports teams pay you but any other person or product sponsorship can. simply let the kids negotiate their own likenesses and the school simply provides the team, facilities and education. the system is now solved, you're welcome. basically, capitalism and free enterprise not dictatorship

I wish Emmert was consistent on what is right or wrong for all schools instead of turning a blind eye to some violations.

Reactions: shadow force
In addition to how the U of L sanctions were administered, this is a clear indication that the NCAA is going to stick by its guns.

There's gonna be a lotta fallout for schools and coaches from the FBI investigation assuming most of the evidence comes out...

Reactions: gocds
so instead of the schools paying athletes why not simply let the boosters pay athletes? that ends all discussions. schools won't have to give up a dime so no sports eliminated. the only people paying money are those who have it. you remain an amateur because no sports teams pay you but any other person or product sponsorship can. simply let the kids negotiate their own likenesses and the school simply provides the team, facilities and education. the system is now solved, you're welcome. basically, capitalism and free enterprise not dictatorship
Of course that’s what those greedy dicks want everyone to believe - that way they can continue to Hoover up the cash.

Reactions: fredburgcard
In addition to how the U of L sanctions were administered, this is a clear indication that the NCAA is going to stick by its guns.

There's gonna be a lotta fallout for schools and coaches from the FBI investigation assuming most of the evidence comes out...

Since the NCAA does not control the FBI I would think that there will be a bunch of fallout from the FBI investigation and that the evidence would come out. At least we can hope. Emmett is a fool and he continues to prove it by opening his mouth. In reality, the only thing grissom has said that I agree with, was during the interview with Billy Reed when he indicated that he believed the Power 5 schools would leave the NCAA and do something on their own. He’s right on that count. Without the biggest athletic programs in the USA the NCAA, as we know it, will simply go away. WTH the way they choose to administer “punishment” with inconsistency (UNC, ND, UofL) they should go away.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

...the only thing grissom has said that I agree with, was during the interview with Billy Reed when he indicated that he believed the Power 5 schools would leave the NCAA and do something on their own...
Was Grissom clear that he wanted to be one of those Power 5 schools?

Was Grissom clear that he wanted to be one of those Power 5 schools?

Well I think so as he was indicative of us being in the ACC in good standing.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Paying players while doable is going to a very large rabbit hole. The universities aren't going down that path. The G-League is actually are really good example of how good college players have it. A G-League player is going to make $25,000 to $30,000, they have to pay for housing, food, transportation, insurance and a trainer. Those guys think their broke today wait till they try the G-League and have to start writing checks.

We are trying to re-invent the wheel for a really small number of players. The colleges are providing these kids incredible exposure while giving them the opportunity to get a great academic and professional education.

I bet the majority of the student athletes think they are getting a good deal.

Reactions: CardsFirst
My response was 0% trolling and 100% accurate. You may know their payroll is bloated but I dont.
Makes complete sense that the ncaa is the first organization in history to be “perfectly staffed”. Again, you’re either intentionally obtuse or, dumber than a bag of hammers.

Makes complete sense that the ncaa is the first organization in history to be “perfectly staffed”. Again, you’re either intentionally obtuse or, dumber than a bag of hammers.
I'm pretty sure I said "could be" perfectly staffed.

The NCAA generates a ton of money. As an earlier poster noted most of that goes back to the schools that make up the NCAA.

To me the more interesting issue is where that money comes from. The NCAA web site notes that the great majority of NCAA money comes from two sources. Over 90% comes from the Men's Basketball Championship: http://www.ncaa.org/about/where-does-money-go.

Even more interesting is where the overwhelming majority of college sports revenue is generated. It comes from licensing rights, football ticket sales, conference revenue sharing and donations to the athletic departments in the form of donations required to purchase tickets: http://www.businessinsider.com/schools-most-revenue-college-sports-2016-10

Let's face it - most money in college sports is generated by two groups of people, football and men's basketball players at the biggest programs. Yet those same players are prohibited from receiving any of that revenue. They get an education and receive a small stipend to compensate for the cost of going to school that is not covered by the scholarship. That's it.

Who gets the money? Conference commissioners get a lot of the money as they are the ones who sell the broadcasting rights for college sports broadcasts and it's football and mens basketball that generate most of that money: https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...b5145e8679a_story.html?utm_term=.16581798d949 . Emmert gets a pretty decent salary of almost $2 million: https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...a-mark-emmert-oliver-luck-salaries/101829110/. We all know coaches at the big time programs make good salaries. While their salaries do not come from athletic budgets, university presidents can justify larger salaries for themselves when university general revenue funds do not have to be used for athletics. That only happens at schools in the power 5 conferences.

All of these people have a reason to keep the athletes who generate the money from getting a share of it. Would Adidas pay Louisville the millions in licensing fees if it could instead pay athletes like Lamar Jackson to endorse their products? Would Nike pay Kentucky if it could go directly to the one-and-done du jour on their men's basketball team? NBA or NFL team don't get licensing fees from a shoe company. That money goes to the players in endorsement contracts.

This is America. If a student athlete wants to hire an agent why shouldn't he be allowed to do so? Why shouldn't Lamar Jackson get a cut of all the #8 Louisville football jerseys sold the last two years? Adidas got a cut. Louisville got a cut. Yet the person who did all the work that generated the demand got nothing.

Reactions: SoulSr
Other students can have jobs. If the important thing is that they are “student-athletes” then standing as a student should be more important than “amatuer status”, which really has nothing to do with college. Let shoe companies pay royalties for wearing the gear.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT