ADVERTISEMENT

Embarrassing

So the juniors & seniors on this team, ones he didn't recruit out of HS, are his fault and that he should have a roster of freshman and sophomores that just dominate and make 0 mistakes?
That's not what I said. The freshman and sophomore are all undersized.

BB is trying to play a 3-4 defense with an undersized d-line all of his recruits are small except for a few and only a few of them were recruited by D-1 schools.

Recruiting Is not about what you want, but in the instance where CSS inherited the situation that Petrino left, it is more about signing what was available. JJ Weaver serves as an example, he was coveted out of Moore HS here in Louisville by both UK and UL. He had no intention of coming here, but it was not about Satterfield not recognizing his talent, or Scott not pursuing him right up until signing day ……. he just wanted to play in the SEC at UK, and that has been the case over these last 4 or 5 years now with so many of the head to head recruiting wars with UK.

Satterfield wanted a big NG for his 3-4 defense, and he was successful signing Jacques Turner out of So Miss. Unfortunately, the problem is that Turner is only 6’1” and 289 lbs; too small for this level of competition. I am sure Satterfield wanted someone bigger, but in truth ……. we got the best we could attract. Turner is good, he just cannot be expected to fight off offensive linemen (Darian Kinnarx) who are equally talented, but weigh 345 lbs. on a 6’5” frame.

Conversely, UK’s NT McCall is 6’3” and weighs 375 lbs. The size differential between UK and UL is not just these two examples …… it’s across the board. UK has emphasized large and talented OL-men, and have a tradition of attracting equally massive NTs.

Satterfield has not recruited well, but I am not sure anyone else could have done any better given the circumstances.

Reactions: Mayoman
First of all you don’t build your roster to beat one specific opponent. You maximize the talent to your strengths and weaknesses. Clemson’s offense was down this year and that’s why they’re not in the ACC championship game this year. Wake Forest is a good example. They came up with a quirky offense but it made Hartman a better QB or at least a very effective one. UNC is another. Of course, they have a proven HC.
Disagree. Clemson is the gold standard in the ACC. You better build Oline and Dline that can compete with them in the trenches. You may lose to them but if you can physically compete with them you have a good chance against the rest of the league.

Disagree. Clemson is the gold standard in the ACC. You better build Oline and Dline that can compete with them in the trenches. You may lose to them but if you can physically compete with them you have a good chance against the rest of the league.
We “competed” against Clemson but still lost 4 ACC games… That’s a trophy I can put on my mantle.

Its been a very long time since I've witnessed a UofL team that unprepared. I'm not taking anything away from UK as they were very well prepared but it doesn't take much to beat a team like UofL was last night. For those that are encouraging UofL to fire this coach and staff - that ain't gonna happen. What assurance would hiring a new coach and staff give us that that we would be more competitive in the annual game against UK? What I do want to do is to make damn sure that CSS and staff are aware how disgusted the fan base is with the unpreparadness of our team last night. If UK fans think that they are really that much better than we are then they are just being silly. What really pisses me off more than anything is our kids seemingly not giving a rat's ass about making a real effort when they got down. Because they simply quit and that's on everybody that has anything to do with UofL football. CSS must do better because it sure wasn't on the fanbase last night. We showed up 55,000 strong and the only time I saw any fire in this football team was during the fight in the 1st quarter/half. CSS you and your staff simply must do better against our entire schedule.

GO CARDS!!!
just saw this. Good post gocds.

Peace

Reactions: gocds
Just saw this.

Satterfield wanted a big NG for his 3-4 defense, and he was successful signing Jacques Turner out of So Miss. Unfortunately, the problem is that Turner is only 6’1” and 289 lbs; too small for this level of competition. I am sure Satterfield wanted someone bigger, but in truth ……. we got the best we could attract. Turner is good, he just cannot be expected to fight off offensive linemen (Darian Kinnarx) who are equally talented, but weigh 345 lbs. on a 6’5” frame.

Then you get out of pure 3-4 look and try something different (e.g., a fly around 4-2-5) until you can recruit up to the 3-4 scheme you want with some expectation of success.

Peace

Stoops had a sales pitch for Barnhardt on what his plans were for the program. Apparently Barnhardt agreed and was willing to wait this plan out. Having been at FSU, Stoop's first priority was to recruit to build both his defensive and offensive lines. It appears he even sacrificed his offense for this purpose. Now they have a better QB in their system and it is allowing them to be more competitive in and outside of the SEC.
I'm not sure Satterfield has figured out what type team he wants to build here at our level of competition. I do feel that recruiting NGs the size of some TEs on other teams and overall smaller LBs and defensive backs will not improve on the program's now current middle of the pack conference standing.

Pretty good description of the UK football "transformation". Key point for UofL...

I'm not sure Satterfield has figured out what type team he wants to build here at our level of competition.

I'm just not sure his straight up 3-4 defense and "outside zone" run offense will get it done at UofL in FBS play. I'm not really sure there is a passing game.

Peace

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT