ADVERTISEMENT

Donovan Mitchell vs. Terry Rozier

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
This article has a nice breakdown, with stats, of both player's freshman years. Basically Mitchell had a pretty good comparative freshman year to Terry but Mitchell needs to work on his defense, not fouling as much, and outside shooting.

http://thecrunchzone.com/comparing-donovan-mitchells-freshman-year-to-terry-roziers/

Rozier was the 16th selection in the 2015 draft. Terry built on his freshman year and was in incredible physical condition. Rick Pitino has stated that he would like to see Donovan get down to 190-195 pounds for next season. Donovan Mitchell played at 6’3, 210 lbs as a freshman, while Terry Rozier finished his career as a Cardinal at 6’2, 190.

If Donovan can reduce his weight, he will certainly be able to become a better defender (which you will see needs to happen from the numbers below). Rozier was a defensive dynamo and his physical condition was on full display during the 2015 NBA combine. Rozier’s shape & ability to get into the lane for layups and trips to the foul line was the reason why he shot up draft boards. Donovan Mitchell has a chance to do the same thing.

Looking at the numbers Rozier played more games, but Mitchell and Rozier played a similar amount of minutes. Mitchell shot a higher percentage thanks to his elevated 2p%, but was not close to Terry’s production from 3-point range.

It’s important to note that Rozier was incredible on the glass and also getting to the line. As a freshman Donovan Mitchell’s numbers were better both in per game production and per 40 minutes.

But what stands out overall? Donovan Mitchell needs to work on playing defense without fouling. In many cases Donovan Mitchell had a similar or better freshman year than Terry Rozier, but his foul totals are really well out of proportion showing Donovan’s biggest area of improvement.

Reactions: nccardfan
Nice recap , but you didn't mention Rozier's main contribution was as a PG when jones was out a few games with injuries. Rozier and Russ were awesome together in the back court and his maturity for a FR PG was really good. Their chemistry was so good that my sons and I hoped Coach would bring Jones off the bench when he returned from injury.
Rozier was special talent to go 1st round after soph year. DM can get there, but lots of hard work is needed.

Right, their roles were a bit different at times but I do see a similar potential in Mitchell. However to be fair almost all of us, and including many "experts", had no clue Rozier would go that high in the draft. I mean couldn't be happier for Rozier but it was unexpected by many. Mitchell does have a ways to improve to get drafted after his soph year, and its perfectly fine if he doesn't, so I hope he listens to coach and gets in great shape like Rozier did. Also working on his 3 point shot would key as well. Once the opponent has some respect for your outside shot he has to come out and guard you which should open things up for both you and your teammates. I'm excited about seeing sophomore Mitchell for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT