ADVERTISEMENT

Donovan Mitchell scores 41 in comeback win over Pelicans

Steelers2012

Jan 5, 2012
So glad to see him have success so early in his career. Couldn't be happening to a better kid; such a great representative for The University of Louisville.

With seconds remaining in Utah’s 114-108 comeback win over the New Orleans Pelicans, rookie guard Donovan Mitchell stepped to the free-throw line to pursue history.

As he did so, 17,725 fans at Vivint Smart Home Arena serenaded him with MVP chants. Mitchell made the first shot. Then he made the second, establishing a franchise rookie record for points in a game.

For one night, the MVP coronation wasn’t hyperbole. Mitchell scored 41 points against the Pelicans, with 29 of them coming in the second half and 17 in the fourth quarter. In a game where the Jazz had little energy, Mitchell played like a superstar and forced the biggest rally of the season.

“That man, he’s a monster,” Utah center Ekpe Udoh said. “He’s making his time now, and everyone better take note.”

His performance was as special in person as it was on the stat sheet. And it was impressive in the box score.

He was efficient, shooting 13 of 25 from the field. He was explosive, getting to the free-throw line 11 times and making nine attempts. He was versatile, grabbing four rebounds and handing out four assists. He was difficult to guard, making 6-of-12 3-pointers.

Mitchell became the seventh rookie in Jazz history to score at least 30 points in a game. He became the first NBA rookie since Blake Griffin in 2011 to register a 40-point outing.

“I’m speechless,” Mitchell said. “I’m pretty sure I was smiling for the last six points and I was grateful to have the fan support out there. It reminds me of Louisville. I’m just trying to make the right reads, make the right pass. I just want to make the right plays out there.”

Mitchell’s performance is all the more impressive, considering the Jazz gave themselves every chance to lose to the Pelicans on Friday night. Playing their second game in as many nights and third game in four nights, the Jazz played with tired legs. The defense, which had improved in the past week, was once again porous. The offense, which had been so explosive, was slow and had little pop.

When Anthony Davis hit a jumper with 8:41 remaining in the third quarter, the Jazz trailed New Orleans 65-49. NBA seasons are full of schedule losses, and Utah was looking one square in the face.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT