ADVERTISEMENT

Don’t tell me officiating doesn’t make a difference

AnotherCFD

One-Star Poster
Jan 26, 2024
Rewatching the game right now and the unnecessary roughness call with the game tied at 7 was critical to the outcome.

Absolutely horrendous call by the referee (who by the way) are never held accountable for the damage they do to a game. And before anyone starts crying, these officials are supposed to be professionals at their job and understand the game completely. It would have been 3rd down and 11 at the Louisville 44. And before you say that SMU would have gotten the 1st down (because frustration makes for ill advised comments) it may have ended up in a punt or long field goal attempt instead of a touchdown.

The 3rd down play for Louisville that led to a Travelstead field goal, SMU had 6 blitzing to Louisville’s 5 O-Linemen. Shough was hurried on the throw but had a TE open sitting down in the middle where the LB’s had vacated and had a wide open touchdown down the right sideline but tried to force it into ABH on the out pattern.

I’ll continue to post as I continue to rewatch the game.

Rewatching the game right now and the unnecessary roughness call with the game tied at 7 was critical to the outcome.

Absolutely horrendous call by the referee (who by the way) are never held accountable for the damage they do to a game. And before anyone starts crying, these officials are supposed to be professionals at their job and understand the game completely. It would have been 3rd down and 11 at the Louisville 44. And before you say that SMU would have gotten the 1st down (because frustration makes for ill advised comments) it may have ended up in a punt or long field goal attempt instead of a touchdown.

The 3rd down play for Louisville that led to a Travelstead field goal, SMU had 6 blitzing to Louisville’s 5 O-Linemen. Shough was hurried on the throw but had a TE open sitting down in the middle where the LB’s had vacated and had a wide open touchdown down the right sideline but tried to force it into ABH on the out pattern.

I continue to post as I continue to rewatch the game.
Your post is a good example. As a coach of youth sports, I tell my players there are two outcomes, those that you have control over and those that you don't. We don't have control over what the referees or umpires do but we do have control over execution. Both can have the same results or effect. Getting upset over the one you can't control is wasted energy. Understanding what the issue was about the 2nd is about coaching, correcting mistakes and getting better.

Reactions: rh62531
Your post is a good example. As a coach of youth sports, I tell my players there are two outcomes, those that you have control over and those that you don't. We don't have control over what the referees or umpires do but we do have control over execution. Both can have the same results or effect. Getting upset over the one you can't control is wasted energy. Understanding what the issue was about the 2nd is about coaching, correcting mistakes and getting better.
What does being upset have to do with anything? Fact is fact. I coached high school football btw.

Shough gets sacked by a 3 MAN rush with Louisville 1st and 10 inside the SMU 35 yard line. 2 and 22 Shough throws into the end zone were Brooks was held making him dive for what would have been a great catch for a TD. Still catchable, but like the color commentator said “If Brooks hadn’t had been held it would have been an easy TD.” To the poster above, that was the commentator’s words not mine. Louisville ends up punting missing a sure scoring opportunity.

Bad officiating impacts games. That is actually controllable by the referee’s. You don’t make calls unless you see the infractions. Too many anticipatory, or reactionary calls. Rules that create an environment where officials have to interpret the infractions that is a problem.

Targeting-wildly inconsistent interpretations.
Reviews-wildly inconsistent on clear not sure how that is possible.
Pass interference-who knows what pass interference is in college. I sure don’t. The corner completely reroutes Brooks with the ball in the air which forced him to dive instead of catching it in stride for a TD. Brohm spends the entire timeout chewing out the official that made the call.

All this matters. The OP original point changed that possession. It did. The rerouting of Brooks prevented the TD. It did. The over turning of a call on the field that wasn’t clear to anyone except whomever made that call mattered. To act like it doesn’t impact games in higher competitive games is wrong.

All this is true Louisville isn’t good, no one can control bad officiating, and bad officiating impacts games.

Bad officiating impacts games. That is actually controllable by the referee’s. You don’t make calls unless you see the infractions. Too many anticipatory, or reactionary calls. Rules that create an environment where officials have to interpret the infractions that is a problem.

Targeting-wildly inconsistent interpretations.
Reviews-wildly inconsistent on clear not sure how that is possible.
Pass interference-who knows what pass interference is in college. I sure don’t. The corner completely reroutes Brooks with the ball in the air which forced him to dive instead of catching it in stride for a TD. Brohm spends the entire timeout chewing out the official that made the call.

All this matters. The OP original point changed that possession. It did. The rerouting of Brooks prevented the TD. It did. The over turning of a call on the field that wasn’t clear to anyone except whomever made that call mattered. To act like it doesn’t impact games in higher competitive games is wrong.

All this is true Louisville isn’t good, no one can control bad officiating, and bad officiating impacts games.
Of course it does. These people that say don’t bring up bad calls think that Louisville is just supposed to overcome them and beat these good teams. There’s a reason SMU only has 1 loss.

Continuing on: 3rd and 2 at the SMU 41. QB draw for a 59 yard touchdown with 6:51 to go before halftime.

So many mistakes in this play it’s unbelievable. The right defensive guard and defensive tackle (End for some) both take outside releases leaving a huge gap from the 0 hole to the 5 hole as the SMU linemen just blocked the 2 the way they released. The left side guard got double teamed and pushed to make the gap even larger. All that was left was 1 linebacker as the other was walked up on the wrong side of the play. He reacted slow (to a QB draw) in a hole you could have drove a bus through which allowed the center to scrape off his block and block him out of the play. No safety help and it’s an easy 59 yard touchdown run. So much for getting things fixed.

Of course it does. These people that say don’t bring up bad calls think that Louisville is just supposed to overcome them and beat these good teams. There’s a reason SMU only has 1 loss.
SMU is good is another take away. Many of these games come down to a few plays made or missed.

Louisville isn’t good on defense. How they are favored by 7 against anyone in this conference and on the road is crazy. The last thing they need are calls that phantom call that extend drives. Happened a couple times. Some other calls took points away.

The main take away is this defensive staff isn’t good. A well coached team doesn’t have these issues. They fix things relatively quickly. They started off last year hot but it seems like they have been figured out. They have been suspect the last 6-7 games against P5 teams.

The “bad calls” started in ernest several years ago when we got the NCAA penalties.

I don’t remember the particulars about what Jurich did, but I do remember we were in the CWS very soon after and we were on the wrong end of four (4) bang-bang calls in the first friggin game. It appeared, and continues, that we are not to get anything not blatantly obvious. I can’t recall any talking head saying “Louisville caught a break on that call”.

I said then that we were the outcasts.

The ACC didn’t want us, but we were the “best of the rest”. So now we just get some crumbs and keep our mouth shut while the chosen get the calls.

I’ve said numerous times, the journey to the P5 (4) was much much more fun than the destination.

But all is well. We’ll keep wishing and hoping.

It’s all we can do.

So how many games did U of L win because of bad officiating? Or are you of the mindset we are the only team in the country that gets bad calls?

Sorry this was probably more directed towards CFD. By the way, does that stand for Cards Fffing Disaster?
No my position is bad officiating impacts all games. I am seeing bad officiating everywhere and they impact those games as well. My issue is the inconsistency in the calls over interpreting reviews or infractions. This leads to fans not believing the results and these conversations.

Louisville is not good that is true. It is also true officiating is bad.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
Giving up wide open seam routes and giving up a running lane for a running QB that I could drive my wifes expedition through is was lost us the game.

Always going to be bad calls. Only one that really aggravated me was REVERSING the fumble call. How did they reverse it?!?!?

In sports, sometimes we ignore the calls that go our way and don't get called in our favor. I'm sure every game the other team thinks their pass rush is stalled by a hold the ref misses. They see a pass interference not called when a corner makes a good play. And on and on. Bad calls unfortunately are a part of the game, but I don't think we ever keep a running list of calls that went in our favor because in our mind it was either the right call or we were due for a good call. Go on every single game thread of another fan base, the officials suck and it's not just us.

I think officiating evens out. The fumble was bad, but even then we still had a chance to tie the game and just looked bad on that next drive. Honestly it was good luck that he did fumble, because in all honesty they were just running it right down the field on us, so it's not like we earned some big play on it in my mind. You always put yourself in a position to not let a call change the game.

The “bad calls” started in ernest several years ago when we got the NCAA penalties.

I don’t remember the particulars about what Jurich did, but I do remember we were in the CWS very soon after and we were on the wrong end of four (4) bang-bang calls in the first friggin game. It appeared, and continues, that we are not to get anything not blatantly obvious. I can’t recall any talking head saying “Louisville caught a break on that call”.

I said then that we were the outcasts.

The ACC didn’t want us, but we were the “best of the rest”. So now we just get some crumbs and keep our mouth shut while the chosen get the calls.

I’ve said numerous times, the journey to the P5 (4) was much much more fun than the destination.

But all is well. We’ll keep wishing and hoping.

It’s all we can do.
I agree. We are the stepchild in this conference. We don’t have the money SMU has. Don’t have the reputation Stanford and Cal have. And we are not from the East Coast.

All I know is there are a couple of posters on here that don’t know a damn thing about football. These timely penalties being called on Louisville aren’t a coincidence I dgaf what a few on here think.

In sports, sometimes we ignore the calls that go our way and don't get called in our favor. I'm sure every game the other team thinks their pass rush is stalled by a hold the ref misses. They see a pass interference not called when a corner makes a good play. And on and on. Bad calls unfortunately are a part of the game, but I don't think we ever keep a running list of calls that went in our favor because in our mind it was either the right call or we were due for a good call. Go on every single game thread of another fan base, the officials suck and it's not just us.

I think officiating evens out. The fumble was bad, but even then we still had a chance to tie the game and just looked bad on that next drive. Honestly it was good luck that he did fumble, because in all honesty they were just running it right down the field on us, so it's not like we earned some big play on it in my mind. You always put yourself in a position to not let a call change the game.
Not really on the fumble that was reversed. The Cards defender ripped the ball loose like many a defender tries to do. This time it worked but unlike all those thousands of replays that stand due to not enough evidence to overturn, this one was not.

When watching a Louisville football game, Cards fans are always anticipating a yellow flag on a big play or a bad result on a replay, regardless of how obvious it seems.

This is simply fact for whatever reason.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
Not really on the fumble that was reversed. The Cards defender ripped the ball loose like many a defender tries to do. This time it worked but unlike all those thousands of replays that stand due to not enough evidence to overturn, this one was not.

When watching a Louisville football game, Cards fans are always anticipating a yellow flag on a big play or a bad result on a replay, regardless of how obvious it seems.

This is simply fact for whatever reason.
Card fans anticipate it because it happens so much. I actually don’t think it was a fumble that led to SMU’s winning score but by rule I didn’t see enough evidence to overturn the call. I mean I didn’t make the shit up, it’s all they talk about on reviews.

I thought the bias calls came on the hit on the sideline that kept SMU’s first touchdown drive alive. The ref who called it was the sideline judge over by the SMU coach. Absolutely a horrible call and would have been 3rd and 11.

The uncalled pi on Brook’s drop in the end zone was horrible non call as he was held because they knew he was beat.

We had a 3rd down play I believe people have forgotten when Shough rolled out and was going to dump it to the TE for an easy first down but our TE was being held and no call.

A holding on #60 for us was a complete joke too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2330859
Card fans anticipate it because it happens so much. I actually don’t think it was a fumble that led to SMU’s winning score but by rule I didn’t see enough evidence to overturn the call. I mean I didn’t make the shit up, it’s all they talk about on reviews.

I thought the bias calls came on the hit on the sideline that kept SMU’s first touchdown drive alive. The ref who called it was the sideline judge over by the SMU coach. Absolutely a horrible call and would have been 3rd and 11.

The uncalled pi on Brook’s drop in the end zone was horrible non call as he was held because they knew he was beat.

We had a 3rd down play I believe people have forgotten when Shough rolled out and was going to dump it to the TE for an easy first down but our TE was being held and no call.

I holding on #60 for us was a complete joke too.
Thank you for all of this. Fans from multiple sites are getting a kick out of this.
Nothing but whining & complaining from you & a few others. Look at the percentage of reffing posts on here & in game threads. It’s ridiculous. It’s pathetic.
Now go back & watch how many times UL breaks rules & doesn’t get called. Im guessing you aren’t watching for all the times UL’s OL holds, or UL’s DBs hold?

I will tell you this though. ND sent tape to the ACC of all the dirty & cheap shot crap UL was doing, including spitting at ND players (which ND sites have video of), jumping on downed ND players after the play, sticking fingers in players’ facemasks after plays, & of course, diving at the OL knees during the final kneel downs.
That’s why there was a skirmish after the game. UL players were butthurt they trash talked all day, cheap shorted ND players, then lost & told to go home.

And of course after the game when asked about it, ND players & staff said they aren’t going to whine about it, they were already on to the next opponent, they handled their business.

Thank you for all of this. Fans from multiple sites are getting a kick out of this.
Nothing but whining & complaining from you & a few others. Look at the percentage of reffing posts on here & in game threads. It’s ridiculous. It’s pathetic.
Now go back & watch how many times UL breaks rules & doesn’t get called. Im guessing you aren’t watching for all the times UL’s OL holds, or UL’s DBs hold?

I will tell you this though. ND sent tape to the ACC of all the dirty & cheap shot crap UL was doing, including spitting at ND players (which ND sites have video of), jumping on downed ND players after the play, sticking fingers in players’ facemasks after plays, & of course, diving at the OL knees during the final kneel downs.
That’s why there was a skirmish after the game. UL players were butthurt they trash talked all day, cheap shorted ND players, then lost & told to go home.

And of course after the game when asked about it, ND players & staff said they aren’t going to whine about it, they were already on to the next opponent, they handled their business.
**** ND and **** you too. What are you in middle school or something where you worry about what everybody thinks? Grow a set of balls.

GFY dude.

If people don't think officiating wins and loses games all the time they don't have a clue.. The double PI call in the ND game was one of the worst calls I've ever seen. It's exhausting the amount of bad calls that have cost us over the past few years. They always come at the worst possible time too and they completely flip the momentum.

A team can play a perfect game and still lose because of a couple of well timed bad calls...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2330859
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT