ADVERTISEMENT

Did anybody hear

kozmas

4000+
Gold Member
Oct 10, 2011
I am out of town and the game wasn't on tv here so I watched it on espn3. During halftime they had Andy Katz and the former coach of North Carolina St. talking about teams self banning themselves from the NCAA tournament.
They both disagreed with schools doing that because they said when Syracuse and Missouri did it their teams were so bad that they really didn't lose anything. They both agreed that Louisville banning themselves this year is a big penalty because UL is good enough to make the Final Four or even further.

Well, what's not mentioned is the timing of each situation. I don't know why the information about the possible infractions was disclosed when it was, especially since nothing new has come out for awhile. Also we don't know what the situation was with Syracuse. Did they see the handwriting on the wall and simply bail. It looks like they are going to make the dance this year. Smrt, I think just felt he had to report what he discovered when he did. Once that happened any delay in taking some action would have loss some significance as it went. Let's say we decide not to do anything and we suddenly go in a tailspin and then say ok let's take a ban. Then clearly it would have shown we were not sincere of doing what was necessary, we were only concerned with outcomes. My 2 cents.

Good point nccardfan. Once Smrt reported back to TJ the results of his investigation, that set everything in motion. It really sucks for these kids because they deserve a whole lot better, but the decision has been made and like it or not, we all have to live with it. I hate it for these kids because they're a special group who could have won this NCAA tourney this year. I really believe that.

Reactions: OneEarWonder
Good point nccardfan. Once Smrt reported back to TJ the results of his investigation, that set everything in motion. It really sucks for these kids because they deserve a whole lot better, but the decision has been made and like it or not, we all have to live with it. I hate it for these kids because they're a special group who could have won this NCAA tourney this year. I really believe that.

I agree. I just posted a thread about no true number 1 this year... a very wide open field. The Cards would have been a 2 or 3 seed and been in position to make a run based on depth and coaching. They can play with and beat anyone on a given night. It is a shame, but unfortunately one that cannot be changed or corrected.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT