ADVERTISEMENT

Devin Askew 4 or 5 star point guard

REDFISTFURY3

4500+
Mar 21, 2015
About to make his announcement real soon. Seems to plan on reclassifying to 2020, He praised Mack awhile back now Calipari has gotten in the back door. unless a miracle happens he is not going to pick us. We had been the perceived leader. Green parts ways with Uk then this announcement comes out do the math!

About to make his announcement real soon. Seems to plan on reclassifying to 2020, He praised Mack awhile back now Calipari has gotten in the back door. unless a miracle happens he is not going to pick us. We had been the perceived leader. Green parts ways with Uk then this announcement comes out do the math!
Didn't he just meet with Mack immediately before making that proclamation? I take this as great news. I think we take one head-to-head against Kentucky - and, if it turns out that way, this is going to feel so great.

Corey Evans and Dan McDonald all felt the Wildcats were the leader prior to this announcement.
However, Askew has yet to visit Lexington, and shortly after his announcement, Andrew Slater and Adam Zagoria made predictions in favor of Louisville for Rivals’ No. 9 overall player in 2021.
Seeing as how Askew has visited Louisville multiple times and just hosted Cardinals head coach Chris Mack for a visit on Monday, they likely would have been the pick had a decision been made in the coming weeks.
Good news for Kentucky: Daniels reports that Askew is still planning to take more college visits before making his decision.

Evan Daniels
✔@EvanDaniels

https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/1174067282148057088

Reactions: KySammy
During the interview, Askew broke down his interest in both Kentucky and Louisville, where he had high praise for the development and professionalism in Lexington and the family atmosphere in Louisville.

“I mean, [John Calipari] just knowing what their goals are,” he said of Kentucky. “A lot of people think just because you go to Kentucky, you have to be a one-and-done. That’s not true. You can stay for two years, look at PJ Washington, look at Tyler Ulis, Immanuel Quickley, Ashton Hagans. Look at them, they’re still in a great position right now. Kentucky is a place where they are also going to develop you, you leave when you’re ready, you know what your goal is. Obviously, the goal is to win games in college, but with the personal side, you can put your name out there, get you to the next step that all players want. When you’re onthat type of team, the goal is, “We’re all five in now, let’s go, let’s go chase our dreams. We’re all together.” It just feels like a brotherhood, that’s what I love about it. And Coach Cal is a great guy, he knows what he’s doing.”

“That was super fun,” Askew said of his official visit to Louisville at the beginning of September. “Great teammates, great coach, great organization. The facilities are also great, great support throughout Louisville. They love basketball out there, basketball school for sure. Man, just the support for open gym was like 1,000 people, I can’t even imagine what a game night is like. But yeah, it was fun out there, I had a blast.”

"Business decisions" always go with duke or uk. They believe the garbage that cal will get them to the league in one year. Has happened a lot but lately not as much.

He just said that you don’t have to believe you are a one and done to go to UK. Sounds like he’s half brainwashed already...
Money quote:

''Kentucky is a place where they are also going to develop you, you leave when you’re ready, you know what your goal is. Obviously, the goal is to win games in college, but with the personal side, you can put your name out there, get you to the next step that all players want. When you’re on that type of team, the goal is, “We’re all five in now, let’s go, let’s go chase our dreams. We’re all together.” It just feels like a brotherhood, that’s what I love about it.''

What's the common denominator 3 Nike schools 1 Adidas Cards had no chance strung along.

‏Verified account@jakeweingarten
According to @PaulBiancardi, Five-star guard Devin Askew will announce his college decision between Arizona, Memphis, Kentucky, and Louisville, tomorrow on SportsCenter.

Jake‏Verified account@jakeweingarten
Jake Retweeted Jake
Wanted to put this in perspective: Memphis: Penny Hardaway conducts in-home on 9/15. Louisville: Chris Mack was in on 9/16, 9/23, whole staff was in last week. Kentucky: Saw him on 9/24, visited last weekend. Arizona: Sean Miller met with him on 9/16, assistant was in recently.

What's the common denominator 3 Nike schools 1 Adidas Cards had no chance strung along.

‏Verified account@jakeweingarten
According to @PaulBiancardi, Five-star guard Devin Askew will announce his college decision between Arizona, Memphis, Kentucky, and Louisville, tomorrow on SportsCenter.

Jake‏Verified account@jakeweingarten
Jake Retweeted Jake
Wanted to put this in perspective: Memphis: Penny Hardaway conducts in-home on 9/15. Louisville: Chris Mack was in on 9/16, 9/23, whole staff was in last week. Kentucky: Saw him on 9/24, visited last weekend. Arizona: Sean Miller met with him on 9/16, assistant was in recently.
I think it’s a positive thing to be considered in that group of schools. I think just last year and it would be Kansas instead of us.

Mack's first full recruiting class is arguably the best recruiting class UofL has had since the early 80s.

I think recruiting talk is fun but nothing to get worked up about either way this far off from these players being locked in.

I think Mack knows what he's doing.

I think it’s a positive thing to be considered in that group of schools. I think just last year and it would be Kansas instead of us.
You don't get it we were the perceived leader on this kid for the last year up until last month He is the kid that had been raving about coach Mack to everyone for the past year. Those other programs were johnny come lately. Mack got on him when he became coach at U of L.

You don't get it we were the perceived leader on this kid for the last year up until last month He is the kid that had been raving about coach Mack to everyone for the past year. Those other programs were johnny come lately. Mack got on him when he became coach at U of L.
Oh, you mean I saw him first, therefore he’s ours rule?

Askew chooses UK over the Cards citing that he wants to “win.” Ok, whatever.

Well will just have to put a stop to that won’t we. And when was the last time they were in the final 4. And it ain’t happening anytime soon as long as the ACC is around.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
Davis, Wall, Cousins, Towns, Knight, Randle, Murray, Gilchrist, Alexander, Fox, Monk, Adebayo, the list goes on and on.

Im sure i can guess your next post. “We didnt pay them to come here, Cals clean, and we dont have to cheat, the UK name recruits itself, blah blah, blah.” Lol

SuCk is the most delusional fan base in America. The amount of money Zion was offered to attend KU, but ended up at Duke for zero does anyone believe that. And here’s a news flash if Duke’s paying players you know damn well SuCk is. Because right now Duke is the hot school not SuCk.

Last edited:
Reactions: kentuckyshame
SuCk is the most delusional fan base in America. The amount of money Zion was offered to arrend KU, but ended up at Duke for zero does anyone believe that. And here’s a news flash if Duke’s paying players you know damn well SuCk is. Because right now Duke is the hot school not SuCk.
This is great. Kudos.

Reactions: CardsFirst
SuCk is the most delusional fan base in America. The amount of money Zion was offered to attend KU, but ended up at Duke for zero does anyone believe that. And here’s a news flash if Duke’s paying players you know damn well SuCk is. Because right now Duke is the hot school not SuCk.

Obviously these kids are pushed towards nike schools with nike money, though i think they get to pick the one they prefer. Makes sense the top kids started to go towards duke and not uk, better chance to win a championship under coach k.

Calipari’s big win over Chris Mack
While Askew is a phenomenal player and will be a major contributor in Lexington, the recruiting aspect of this commitment is rather significant at the local level.

Louisville head coach Chris Mack was hired in March of 2018, and immediately followed it up by prioritizing the five-star guard out of Sacramento. He watched him during the AAU season, became one of the first to offer Askew on August 13, 2018, began taking multiple trips out west to see him at his home and school, and brought him in on visits, both unofficial and official.

With over a year head start on Kentucky, the Louisville coaching staff built a phenomenal relationship with their prized guard target and established itself as the heavy favorite. If a decision had been made this spring, it would have been tough to imagine Askew landing anywhere other than UofL.

In just a matter of months, the Kentucky coaching staff managed to swoop in and solidify itself as a legitimate contender in his recruitment. They sold the idea of Askew coming in and competing against NBA players every day in practice and building his own draft stock in the process.

And then down the home stretch, John Calipari managed to do what he does best, sealing the deal on a commitment from yet another elite recruiting target.

In his very first major recruiting battle with John Calipari as UofL’s head coach, Mack came away empty-handed.

Nah, got outspent. Askew had his hands out and they got filled. I'd rather be patient and get Lander or Harmon, they're better.

Wow truly amazing how Cal has these kids fooled. I give him credit he the best snake oil salesman ever.

Paul Biancardi
@PaulBiancard
i

Devin Askew to ESPN on John Calipari. “Coach Cal is a straight up honest guy. He loves his players and his players love him. He wants what’s best for his players. He helps you achieve you goals.“ #BBN

Devin Askew to ESPN on John Calipari. “Coach Cal is a straight up honest guy. He loves his players and his players love him. He wants what’s best for his players. He helps you achieve you goals.“ #BBN

honestly, that's 100% true. cal gets his players paid millions (even though they would have earned that coming from any other school), he loves his players, and he wants what's best.

he simply just cannot coach an actual basketball with any kind credibility. basically, the players don't have to play d, they don't scout the other team that much, you get treated like gods on campus, then you lose, then you get paid. basically what every kid wants, except for losing but who cares if you're paid

Well, I had actually deluded my self into thinking we could get Askew over UK because of all the ground work Mack put in. Obviously, I was wrong... and it's probably just time to recognize we aren't getting many - if any - recruits that UK targets strongly. Don't like it, but delusions have to end in the face of facts.

Fine.... Let's target that next tier of recruits (ones that will play more than a year) and graduate transfers.

I think we just have to accept that, due to the dark cloud of NCAA investigation still pending, we will have trouble attracting the one-and-done candidates. The potential for being banned from post season play is a pretty compelling negative recruiting point for targets who likely will only play one year of college ball. I also think once we get that dark cloud behind us, we will be able to compete with anyone (N.E.1!!!) in terms of recruiting.

honestly, that's 100% true. cal gets his players paid millions (even though they would have earned that coming from any other school), he loves his players, and he wants what's best.

he simply just cannot coach an actual basketball with any kind credibility. basically, the players don't have to play d, they don't scout the other team that much, you get treated like gods on campus, then you lose, then you get paid. basically what every kid wants, except for losing but who cares if you're paid

Pretty good post. except for the '"does not have to play D" part. I will not post on the other posters post. Not going to get into that. No need to start throwing out BS "he had his hands out and they got filled" stuff. It makes a fan base sound like a childish, immature, scorned lover. If Devin Askew had his hand out, why was UL fans wanting him so bad ? Then when he signed elsewhere, all kinds of accusations get posted. Not fair to UK, Askew, and the Louisville program. Louisville is a great basketball school. They made a mistake, the righted it and hired Mack. You guys are doing very well considering what happened. UL WILL be back on top, no need to put down other schools and post nonsense.

Good day.

Last edited:
Well, I had actually deluded my self into thinking we could get Askew over UK because of all the ground work Mack put in. Obviously, I was wrong... and it's probably just time to recognize we aren't getting many - if any - recruits that UK targets strongly. Don't like it, but delusions have to end in the face of facts.

Fine.... Let's target that next tier of recruits (ones that will play more than a year) and graduate transfers.
You really weren't reading anything this kid had been saying were you? Once he decided to take a visit to UK the deal was done.

I think we just have to accept that, due to the dark cloud of NCAA investigation still pending, we will have trouble attracting the one-and-done candidates. The potential for being banned from post season play is a pretty compelling negative recruiting point for targets who likely will only play one year of college ball. I also think once we get that dark cloud behind us, we will be able to compete with anyone (N.E.1!!!) in terms of recruiting.
Luke stated on his radio show that he has no doubt whatsoever that teams are using the NCAA crap, against U of L.

Pretty good post. except for the '"does not have to play D" part. I will not post on the other posters post. Not going to get into that. No need to start throwing out BS "he had his hands out and they got filled" stuff. It makes a fan base sound like a childish, immature, scorned lover. If Devin Askew had his hand out, why was UL fans wanting him so bad ? Then when he signed elsewhere, all kinds of accusations get posted. Not fair to UK, Askew, and the Louisville program. Louisville is a great basketball school. They made a mistake, the righted it and hired Mack. You guys are doing very well considering what happened. UL WILL be back on top, no need to put down other schools and post nonsense.

Good day.
The last parts of your post are pretty much the truths. However it contradicts what is written daily. By the UK propaganda site of Matty Bangs and what he spews out on his radio show and twitter .

Don't have to play defense? UK was ranked 8th in the nation this previous season in adjusted defensive rankings per KenPom. Feel free to hate UK, but at least use a better argument.

Reactions: kyjeff1
The staff made a tactical error in recruiting this class. History matters Louisville has very rarely been able to land 5 star players since the 90’s. Last years class didn’t initially have any burger boys Williamson moved up the rankings after committing.

They put a lot of effort into guys that were Nike and highly rated. Nike is not going to let these kids go to Louisville. They will use their influence to make sure it doesn’t happen. I think the NCAA stuff matters but this is more about Nike.

Look how these 5 star players are positioned around the country. Nike feeds these coaches. That will never change. The staff has to do it a different way and focus on kids in the 30-70 range. You may land 1 or 2 5 stars but rarely in the same class.

Jurich did what was best financially for the University by going with Adidas but that basically reduce their recruiting access to elite players.

Actually every team coach Cal has had at Kentucky have played great defense. He has always been a defensive minded coach.

Reactions: kyjeff1
Actually every team coach Cal has had at Kentucky have played great defense. He has always been a defensive minded coach.
It’s tough to compete against Cal, he’s the best recruiter in the history of college basketball, not even close. What’s JJ Traynor waiting on? Is he waiting for UK to offer and take yet another recruit away from the Ville?

Just get used to the fact as someone said earlier, if it’s a head to head with UK forget about it

C’mon guys, why would sUcKs fans be on a UofL message board talking basketball on a Saturday during the football season?....oh yeah, cause your football team is back to being the typical dumpster fire they usually are. Carry on.

I know you guys were high on askew, but lander is no slouch. Your biggest competition is Indiana. Mack is a really good coach and I think you land him

The staff made a tactical error in recruiting this class. History matters Louisville has very rarely been able to land 5 star players since the 90’s. Last years class didn’t initially have any burger boys Williamson moved up the rankings after committing.

They put a lot of effort into guys that were Nike and highly rated. Nike is not going to let these kids go to Louisville. They will use their influence to make sure it doesn’t happen. I think the NCAA stuff matters but this is more about Nike.

Look how these 5 star players are positioned around the country. Nike feeds these coaches. That will never change. The staff has to do it a different way and focus on kids in the 30-70 range. You may land 1 or 2 5 stars but rarely in the same class.

Jurich did what was best financially for the University by going with Adidas but that basically reduce their recruiting access to elite players.

That's a pretty big cop out calling it Nike Nike Nike. What's your excuse for Kansas getting top talent? Snoop Dogg?

Maybe Mack isn't an elite recruiter. Maybe the NCAA junk is killing him. Maybe elite players just don't want to come to Louisville. Lot's of factors involved.

Reactions: bouncebackcats
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT