ADVERTISEMENT

Derek Willis arrested.

carddead13

New Poster, Show Me Love
Aug 30, 2009
The senior forward for the University of Kentucky got arrested in Boone County last night. It was just for public intoxication. Certainly pales in comparison to what the football team over there has been hitting the blotter for- assault, drug charges, etc. But my question is this- he is only 20. Why only charged with a PI? Is that normal to not also charge for underage drinking?

LOL. The brave men and women who volunteer to fight for this country can join any Armed Services branch at 18 years of age without parental consent, yet because of this stupid 21 year age limit, they can't drink legally. It's one of the most outdated and ignorant laws on the books as far as I'm concerned.

Willis got drunk. Big deal. His only mistake IMO was getting drunk in public. He'll learn from it or he won't. It's his choice.

The senior forward for the University of Kentucky got arrested in Boone County last night. It was just for public intoxication. Certainly pales in comparison to what the football team over there has been hitting the blotter for- assault, drug charges, etc. But my question is this- he is only 20. Why only charged with a PI? Is that normal to not also charge for underage drinking?

Yes, that is the normal charge. If he was in possession at the time, then that becomes a secondary charge. I remember in college a lot of people got busted for PI who were under age... typically walking back to the dorms after a night out. Also, if a party got busted, everyone would drop. They could not pin who had what, but they could pin who was wasted.

It's college. It happens. Not exactly newsworthy.

Reactions: SoulSr
I'm certainly not going to cast aspersions; by the time I was 25 I had a DUI, a PI, and had totaled out a friend's car...3 separate instances where I could have killed myself or others. Willis's lapse in judgment, other than that possum eating grin in his mug shot, endangered no one but himself. It's a temporary embarrassment that he will hopefully learn better from (sooner than I did), nothing more or less. Go forth and sin no more young man.

Reactions: WKCard and SoulSr
LOL. The brave men and women who volunteer to fight for this country can join any Armed Services branch at 18 years of age without parental consent, yet because of this stupid 21 year age limit, they can't drink legally. It's one of the most outdated and ignorant laws on the books as far as I'm concerned.

Willis got drunk. Big deal. His only mistake IMO was getting drunk in public. He'll learn from it or he won't. It's his choice.
It's about as crazy as not being able to purchase alcohol at all in about half the counties in this state

The responses here highlight the vast difference in the 2 fan bases. Could you imagine the faux moral outrage on that board if this was a UL player?

The fan bases are much more similar than we'd all like to admit. If a UK player makes a mistake, UK fans will defend their player and U of L fans will bash the kid and/or the UK fans for defending him. If it's a U of L player the opposite will happen. Just the way it goes on message boards.

The fan bases are much more similar than we'd all like to admit. If a UK player makes a mistake, UK fans will defend their player and U of L fans will bash the kid and/or the UK fans for defending him. If it's a U of L player the opposite will happen. Just the way it goes on message boards.

I think most UofL fans on here are saying big deal....he got drunk.

I'm glad he was just drunk, and passed out in public. Like I said earlier, that is no big deal.

After reading the details of his arrest though, it sounds like the best thing that happened was him passing out. The deputy arrived to find Willis on the ground outside the open driver’s side door of a vehicle and reported a “strong odor associated with alcohol” coming from the inside of the vehicle and Willis.

Was he driving drunk and pulled over to pass out? It sounds as if he might have been. Glad he had the common sense to pull over before killing himself or someone else, IF he was actually driving drunk.

Even though Willis was only charged with Alcohol Intoxication, the facts reported about the situation raise the specter of a few more troubling matters.

First, the account states that Willis was found absolutely blitzed, lying outside an open driver's side door. Was he planning or attempting to drive? I don't know, but unless someone else was there with him it sure is suspicious that a DUI may have been where his night was heading. If so - again I don't know - but if so, that's a serious matter. That puts lives at risk.

Secondly, what team issues does this situation raise? I think it says something about UK's leadership? That guy was their senior, right? Isn't he supposed to lead the "too green behind the ears" brigade over there next season? He is also the only good outside shooter they have. If he gets suspended it will be brick city. As a general rule, freshmen can't shoot - and certainly not to the degree they would as upperclassmen. So, UK is usually hurting for shooting to start most every season because they don't often have good returning players. If Willis is out against any of the better early opponents they might run into trouble quick.

Even though Willis was only charged with Alcohol Intoxication, the facts reported about the situation raise the specter of a few more troubling matters.

First, the account states that Willis was found absolutely blitzed, lying outside an open driver's side door. Was he planning or attempting to drive? I don't know, but unless someone else was there with him it sure is suspicious that a DUI may have been where his night was heading. If so - again I don't know - but if so, that's a serious matter. That puts lives at risk.

Secondly, what team issues does this situation raise? I think it says something about UK's leadership? That guy was their senior, right? Isn't he supposed to lead the "too green behind the ears" brigade over there next season? He is also the only good outside shooter they have. If he gets suspended it will be brick city. As a general rule, freshmen can't shoot - and certainly not to the degree they would as upperclassmen. So, UK is usually hurting for shooting to start most every season because they don't often have good returning players. If Willis is out against any of the better early opponents they might run into trouble quick.

He was never going to be any more than a role player for UofK regardless. He has been recruited over from the moment he signed with UofK.

10 years from now,he'd be able to pass(yes pun intended) on the alcohol for something that will keep him from being less of a danger.No,wait we're in ky.

I don't think that you've read many comments in this thread if you believe this.

But to most of them it's no big deal.
I don't find it to be. Good kid, no known behavior or grade issues. Guilty of a boneheaded mistake but most on here are admitting to similar mistakes in our youth.
Run a bunch, in the doghouse all summer and a very short leash.

Five AM, an hour from home, passed out drunk in the street, laying by the open door of his car, which reeks of alcohol. Hmmmm.
Underage drinking and passing out in the basement is one thing. Many people have been there.

Getting totally $hit-faced to the point you're passed out in the street sounds a little different. Only in LPT land would they call that something like "casual drinking".

"Elite program", my a$$...

Let's keep up the venom because Matt Jones is always pouncing on every little negative thing that happens with our players, NO MERCY!!!!!

And this just in, Willis says he plans to join the Football team this Fall where he believes he will fit right in.

Reactions: JohnKBA
I don't find it to be. Good kid, no known behavior or grade issues. Guilty of a boneheaded mistake but most on here are admitting to similar mistakes in our youth.
Run a bunch, in the doghouse all summer and a very short leash.
Thanks for making my point.

As a teenager I drank too much at times, as a father I know my kids have too, and currently continue to do the same. But the one thing that everyone seems to be overlooking is that Willis (probably) was guilty of drinking and driving - A CARDINAL SIN (no pun intended). His self righteous coach (based on his comments yesterday) should punish him harshly, I'm talking physically running him in the ground. On top of that he should sit for multiple games next year.

Just about three weeks ago a young man on a moped was hit by an automobile and killed in Derek's own Bullitt County. That one selfish act has ruined many a life, including the young girl's life and future that has been charged.

Has everyone in this state forgotten the Carrollton bus crash? If so, I invite you down I-65 to view the signs still marking the location of the worst drunken driving accident in U.S. history.

To all that want to discount the Willis issue as "he just had a few too many", etc. etc. I beg to differ. Derek Willis got off easy last weekend, not because he didn't get a DUI, he got off easy because no one got hurt and he didn't ruin his life and the lives of countless others.

Reactions: Cincycard80
As a teenager I drank too much at times, as a father I know my kids have too, and currently continue to do the same. But the one thing that everyone seems to be overlooking is that Willis (probably) was guilty of drinking and driving - A CARDINAL SIN (no pun intended). His self righteous coach (based on his comments yesterday) should punish him harshly, I'm talking physically running him in the ground. On top of that he should sit for multiple games next year.

Just about three weeks ago a young man on a moped was hit by an automobile and killed in Derek's own Bullitt County. That one selfish act has ruined many a life, including the young girl's life and future that has been charged.

Has everyone in this state forgotten the Carrollton bus crash? If so, I invite you down I-65 to view the signs still marking the location of the worst drunken driving accident in U.S. history.

To all that want to discount the Willis issue as "he just had a few too many", etc. etc. I beg to differ. Derek Willis got off easy last weekend, not because he didn't get a DUI, he got off easy because no one got hurt and he didn't ruin his life and the lives of countless others.
Try I-71 at about the 40 mile marker. 1988, I think.

Try I-71 at about the 40 mile marker. 1988, I think.
May 14th, 1988 to be exact. I destroyed my car the same night. I didn't hurt anyone though. Got a couple of broken ribs out of it and was happy I had the broken ribs after reading about to those bus load of kids who had died. A horrible tragedy.

Reactions: Cue Card
There is actually a more personal cautionary tale for UK fans, in Jason Watts. So very grateful my irresponsible actions so many years ago didn't result in harm to anyone but myself.

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/1999/04/21/loc_former_uk_football.html
Same here Steelers. I had no business driving my car that fateful night and it could have easily been me smacking into that bus instead of Larry Mahoney had I been on 1-71. I was on I-65 headed south and lost control after a small animal jumped out in front of me in a curve. I jerked the steering wheel in a delayed reaction hard to the right and caused the car to eventually roll over. A 1 car accident and I was drunk. What happened that night changed my life because I have never been behind the wheel of a car after drinking since. I was lucky. My horrible choice of drinking and driving only cost me a car and a couple of broken ribs. A light punishment in hindsight.

Reactions: Steelers2012
I'm certainly not going to cast aspersions; by the time I was 25 I had a DUI, a PI, and had totaled out a friend's car...3 separate instances where I could have killed myself or others. Willis's lapse in judgment, other than that possum eating grin in his mug shot, endangered no one but himself. It's a temporary embarrassment that he will hopefully learn better from (sooner than I did), nothing more or less. Go forth and sin no more young man.

The only problem with your logic that he didn't "endanger no one but himself" is that the only reason he didn't was that he was so drunk he couldn't get in the open car door we was preparing to drive away in and fell to the ground. Look I am not playing Mother Teresa here and I know I can't claim innocence and neither can most college students, but not all being drunk in public is the same. Just like not all drunk driving is the same. If you've had 12 beers in 2 hours, your are a much greater danger to others than if you had 4 beers in 2 hours. Both get you locked up, but one may swerve in the lane wheres the other is in the wrong lane. He shouldn't be cast into a lake of fire, but he also shouldn't get a pat on the back and say no biggie.

Five am, an hour from home, residential neighborhood, passed out drunk in the street, girl friend passed out drunk in the passenger seat, neither of them know how they got there or where they are. No problem. Glad, very glad, no one got hurt.

The only problem with your logic that he didn't "endanger no one but himself" is that the only reason he didn't was that he was so drunk he couldn't get in the open car door we was preparing to drive away in and fell to the ground. Look I am not playing Mother Teresa here and I know I can't claim innocence and neither can most college students, but not all being drunk in public is the same. Just like not all drunk driving is the same. If you've had 12 beers in 2 hours, your are a much greater danger to others than if you had 4 beers in 2 hours. Both get you locked up, but one may swerve in the lane wheres the other is in the wrong lane. He shouldn't be cast into a lake of fire, but he also shouldn't get a pat on the back and say no biggie.

Agreed. My first post was made before the details (passed out in street beside open drivers door with a passenger) were known.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT