ADVERTISEMENT

Decision Soon?

That’s great. Just don’t criticize Heird for doing the EXACT same thing that we ALL praised Jurich for doing. That’s BULLSH!T, and that is also a fact.
Not sure who "we" is. But I never praised Jurich for anything but getting results, something we're incredibly short on nowadays...

Reactions: KozmasAgain
The admonishment was about unprompted personal attacks. I don't have to get introspective when that's not my style.

Heird was not Jurich's top assistant. If he was, he would have never received a pat on the back on his way to Nova. Jurich describes Heird as an event planner during his U of L tenure. His U of L bio as AD uses the word "administrator" a half dozen times. And he obviously can't raise money any better than his predecessor could.

Not quite my ideal AD candidate...
I understand the difference - I’m admonishing you about posting biased, non- factual bullshit.

Heird worked previously at Louisville from 2007-16, with his last role being that of assistant athletic director for championships and facilities from 2012-16. In that job, he had oversight of capital projects and assisted with the day-to-day management of facility operations. Heird was responsible for the management of all ACC and NCAA postseason events hosted by UofL. During his time at Louisville, Heird helped design and oversee the construction of the Jim Patterson Baseball Stadium expansion, the Ulmer Softball Stadium expansion, the building of the Dr. Mark and Cindy Lynn Soccer Stadium, the lacrosse stadium press box as well as the Thorntons Academic Center of Excellence. He began his career at UofL as assistant director of championships in April 2007 before being promoted to the director of championships in 2009.

Those are facts. Please post a link to your TJ “event planner” quote or admit you made it up.

I didn't make up anything. People understand the function "event planner" which is how Jurich described his routine responsibilities, the ACC/NCAA stuff.

He "assisted" and "helped" in other capacities as your citation says.

BTW Kevin Miller was Jurich's top assistant. If you look at a staff directory, assistant ADs are way down the list and below senior and/or associate ADs, generally speaking.

Other than "making it up," I don't know where you got the idea that Heird was Jurich's top assistant or anywhere close...

who would coach this team mid season?
opponents know to play zone and do pick and roll on offense.
a new coach would have to reteach two big concepts mid season.
January schedule is brutal.
We really don’t have a coach now so I don’t think that would matter!

Reactions: BPGhost
Well I can think of one who demonstrated it over and over again.

Heird has no credibility, so he has to be seen as consultative. He's checking off with everyone, covering all the bases. And if he was confident as well, he wouldn't have to do any of that.

Heird's an empty suit responsible for a big decision. And he gets no mentoring from anyone inside U of L administration who knows what they're doing, Unfortunately for him, there is no one...
This so not true. Heird was hired by your idol as associate AD. That alone should be enough for you to have faith, obviously Jurich did. Also he negotiated a fair buyout with Mack, no matter what BS you spew that was still good work. He also swapped Brohm for Satt which again he HAS to get credit for. While we are on it your idol would never have hired Brohm so where would we be today? Not 10-3 with an incredibly bright future. And until your bias against all things uofl not named jurich, none of your post mean squat. Even with your million "stats". Move on and become a UK fan or St John's fan.

To be accurate, your bias destroys any semblance of credibility you might have had when it comes to the AD department.

To refresh your memory, Heird was your idol TJ’s top assistant for about 10 years, then left to run Villanova’s athletic department. He’s faced with a difficult situation and will be judged accordingly but to suggest that he has no credibility is patently absurd.

Rather than admonish Hop about his posting - perhaps you should do a self evaluation about the nonsense that emanates from your keyboard.
I did not get to your post before I started to respond. Didn't mean to plagiarize your post

Not sure who "we" is. But I never praised Jurich for anything but getting results, something we're incredibly short on nowadays...

Well, if you’re not one of the “we” I’m referring to, then why did you feel compelled to respond to a post that didn’t apply to you?

Heird has no credibility, so he has to be seen as consultative. He's checking off with everyone, covering all the bases. And if he was confident as well, he wouldn't have to do any of that.

Heird's an empty suit responsible for a big decision. And he gets no mentoring from anyone inside U of L administration who knows what they're doing, Unfortunately for him, there is no one...
That's a great sample size guy!

You couldn't name 5 successful ADs without google. You would have no idea what a successful AD does and doesn't do you have no data or first-hand anecdotal evidence either.

Your point of reference to your original post is fiction. IOW you just made something up to slander your AD because you are a troll.

Thanks for the laughs.

Relax. Even if they remove KP there's no guarantee next man up will have success.

who would coach this team mid season?
opponents know to play zone and do pick and roll on offense.
a new coach would have to reteach two big concepts mid season.
January schedule is brutal.
Finding an outside interim coach—someone not currently on staff—may be a challenge, but this team is not as bad as they are currently playing. This is no national title contender by any stretch, but this team has enough talent to not get run by the likes of Coppin State, DePaul, and Arkansas State. The schedule was softened to help KP, but it still didn't help. This is crazy stuff here. We are seeing a young team without a true leader, unable to motivate, an inexperienced coach, and it's difficult to watch. Players are starting to checkout or quit, and once that happens and continues to happen, it's over.

Dismissing KP - That's the real challenge; you may get a slight "bump" by the team and increased energy from the fanbase by dismissing KP of his duties, but if you're going to let Manning or even Smith steer the ship, is that enough to see much real change this season? Probably not. If you bring in a guy like Mark Lieberman, you will more than likely get some instant results and see some improvement on offense and defense. This team is lost without any real direction and leadership. I really feel bad for the players.

KP is going to go down as one of the worst hires in top-level D1 basketball ever, right next to Patrick Ewing.

Different leaders have different styles, and many different styles can be effective. It’s not a sign of weakness or ineptitude to do things differently from Jurich. One type of leader is inclusive and keeps all stakeholders in the loop. Other leaders might go it alone. I really don’t know how Jurich or Hierd approaches the job. However, given the stakes, the complexity of the situation, and the relationships involved, the former approach makes sense to me.

I didn't make up anything. People understand the function "event planner" which is how Jurich described his routine responsibilities, the ACC/NCAA stuff.

BTW Kevin Miller was Jurich's top assistant. If you look at a staff directory, assistant ADs are way down the list and below senior and/or associate ADs, generally speaking.

Other than "making it up," I don't know where you got the idea that Heird was Jurich's top assistant or anywhere close...
Sounds to me like the Jurich administration was a bit top-heavy.

Reactions: jmac1029
College Basketball Sport GIF by NCAA March Madness

That's a great sample size guy!

You couldn't name 5 successful ADs without google. You would have no idea what a successful AD does and doesn't do you have no data or first-hand anecdotal evidence either.

Your point of reference to your original post is fiction. IOW you just made something up to slander your AD because you are a troll.

Thanks for the laughs.

Relax. Even if they remove KP there's no guarantee next man up will have success.
Why don’t you give me your persuasive arguments and evidence on what successful ADs do while attacking mine. I’m all ears.

My example gave me 20+ years of data points. Even his clown successor didn’t mobilize a search committee every time he made a hire. He just went out and repeatedly made mistakes on his own. Josh doesn’t have what it takes (yet) to do much on his own…

So you have to meet with players and decide after what the entire nation has witnessed on the floor. Sound like weakness to me.
Highly doubt many players are going to diss on a coach so easy to play for. Get beat and they get the next day off.
Heird is going to fail us imo.
You have no clue what went on in the meeting. That is a normal practice.

Reactions: rh62531

Wasn’t Julie Herman the top associate of Jurich? I think she’s back in Louisville after things didn’t work so well at Rutgers.

Can’t believe some on here are suggesting that meeting with some players prior to an in-season firing is a sign of weakness. I know a lot of guys who were athletes when Jurich was here and they all talk about how approachable he was for athletes and how he treated them as adults. I don’t remember if we had any in-season firings when TJ was AD but from what these former athletes have told me I’d suspect he would’ve been upfront with them and would’ve kept them close by. In particular there’s some scuttlebutt that Danny Manning will step down if Payne is fired so in that case there really isn’t a sure-fire interim. In light of that it definitely would make sense to have at least some dialogue with team leaders. I can’t believe anyone on here is trying to make this into some poor reflection on how he’s handling things.

Can’t believe some on here are suggesting that meeting with some players prior to an in-season firing is a sign of weakness. I know a lot of guys who were athletes when Jurich was here and they all talk about how approachable he was for athletes and how he treated them as adults. I don’t remember if we had any in-season firings when TJ was AD but from what these former athletes have told me I’d suspect he would’ve been upfront with them and would’ve kept them close by. In particular there’s some scuttlebutt that Danny Manning will step down if Payne is fired so in that case there really isn’t a sure-fire interim. In light of that it definitely would make sense to have at least some dialogue with team leaders. I can’t believe anyone on here is trying to make this into some poor reflection on how he’s handling things.
Manning will step down? That’s just another excellent reason to fire Payne immediately. He sucks and should be selling aluminum siding.

Reactions: UofLouisville
Yeah I seriously doubt Jurich was feeling out players about how poorly the coaches were doing…

Doesn't really matter what Jurich did or didn't do as he is no longer the AD and hasn't been for awhile now. Only matters what Josh does and he's welcome to do it however he feels is necessary.

Manning will step down? That’s just another excellent reason to fire Payne immediately. He sucks and should be selling aluminum siding.
That was per Trilly Donovan who seems to break most big bball scoops these days. I agree Manning is terrible. Hiring a guy who was sitting a huge buyout and had little incentive to perform was one of many missteps by Payne.

I observe. Considering how he got the job and how athletics has performed the last 6+ years, I don’t assume a lightweight like Heird is making all the right moves…
Here’s the problem though. You’re anything but an unbiased observer. You observe things, filter them through your agenda laden lens and then arrive at the same preconceived assumptions that you would have - even having observed nothing.

This post of yours is a perfect example.

O
I don’t think that’s what he was talking with them. He’s keeping them close cause he knows it’s a tough situation. I’d imagine Jurich would’ve done the same. But you can use it as some slight on Heird if you think it helps your agenda.
You mentioned Jurich talking to players IN THIS DISCUSSION, the implication being that Heird is doing nothing more or less than Jurich did.

The only thing the two have in common is they are/were both employed as U of L ADs…

O

You mentioned Jurich talking to players IN THIS DISCUSSION, the implication being that Heird is doing nothing more or less than Jurich did.

The only thing the two have in common is they are/were both employed as U of L ADs…

You are trying to create a narrative that talking to the athletes is a sign of weakness. You then were asked for examples of how an AD should handle things and you use Jurich of course. I then say that based on athlete interactions I know of that I think Jurich would’ve done similar to Heird in this situation. Then you try and make this into some larger indictment of Heird. Stay on topic man! Your agenda is shining through.

You are trying to create a narrative that talking to the athletes is a sign of weakness. You then were asked for examples of how an AD should handle things and you use Jurich of course. I then say that based on athlete interactions I know of that I think Jurich would’ve done similar to Heird in this situation. Then you try and make this into some larger indictment of Heird. Stay on topic man! Your agenda is shining through.
This has nothing to do with an AD talking to players in principle. You’re mixing contexts. One guy did it in the natural course of communication.

Apparently this guy this week is doing it for a particular purpose, and IMO, the wrong purpose. Who the hell talks to subordinates in anticipation of firing the manager AND lets it leak?

Heird has no credibility to make a decision at this level and act on it. Consulting is a face saving measure, nothing more…

This has nothing to do with an AD talking to players in principle. You’re mixing contexts. One guy did it in the natural course of communication.

Apparently this guy this week is doing it for a particular purpose, and IMO, the wrong purpose. Who the hell talks to subordinates in anticipation of firing the manager AND lets it leak?

Heird has no credibility to make a decision at this level and act on it. Consulting is a face saving measure, nothing more…
There is no context when jurich fired a coach of a major sport in-season. Nor do we know the context of the conversations Heird had. What we do know is that Jurich kept in close contact with the athletes and treated them with respect and as adults. And it appears Heird is doing the same. Your agenda continues to shine through.

There is no context when jurich fired a coach of a major sport in-season. Nor do we know the context of the conversations Heird had. What we do know is that Jurich kept in close contact with the athletes and treated them with respect and as adults. And it appears Heird is doing the same. Your agenda continues to shine through.
You don’t know what Heird is doing. The guy has zero personality. He’s an introvert by all appearances. If he’s talking to players now, it’s for the purpose of managing the Payne situation. As I said, that’s bad form…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT