ADVERTISEMENT

David Padgett Replacing Willard

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
David Padgett will replace Louisville Assistant Coach Ralph Willard on the bench next season. Rick Pitino will be in the market for a Director of Basketball Operations for the 2016-17 season. Willard came out of retirement to assist Pitino with the team during this summer for its trip to Puerto Rico. Padgett played with UofL from 2005-2008 and was 1st team All Big East as a senior.

Reactions: CatPhight
Great news I think David deserves the promotion and since Louisville is recruiting 7 footers to compete in the ACC he will be a big asset.

Reactions: shadow force
Padgett s a good choice. I believe his presence in practice has helped the bigs on this squad a lot. All of them have improved. Onuaku has improved so much that he may be headed to the NBA. I'm fairly sure David Padgett had something to do with that.

Reactions: shadow force
Padgett s a good choice. I believe his presence in practice has helped the bigs on this squad a lot. All of them have improved. Onuaku has improved so much that he may be headed to the NBA. I'm fairly sure David Padgett had something to do with that.

Not that I don't think Padgett has had some influence over the bigs improvements, but I think in his former role he was not allowed to work directly with players in practice, right? As an assistant coach he should be able to work more directly and closely with the bigs in actual practice which will hopefully help them improve even more.

Reactions: WKCard and Cue Card
Not that I don't think Padgett has had some influence over the bigs improvements, but I think in his former role he was not allowed to work directly with players in practice, right? As an assistant coach he should be able to work more directly and closely with the bigs in actual practice which will hopefully help them improve even more.

He could play in pick up games over the summer with them!!!

:cool:

I wasn't aware he couldn't practice with the team. I thought since he was on the staff, that he was able to participate in practices. I appreciate the info.

Dave is one of those 3rd generation family coaching trees. His Grandad Jim coached both at Cal and then at Nevada when his son Pete came on and set so many still-unbroken records - for rebounding and, get this - assists. Pete also played baseball at Nevada, lol. He could hit and I ought to know - when I lived in Reno, I played third in slowpitch softball against him during a couple of toruneys. Not a comfy place to be when this 6' 11" stud approaches the plate. I played in the grass, lol.

I think Dave has paid dues the right way and is incredibly humble. But I also believe it is an honest - natural - humble. He could be anything from the next superstar coach after being with Rick for 5 years, to an otherwise "good" coach. But for him, it is a natural progression, no matter where he was.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT