ADVERTISEMENT

Dan McDonnell a target in LSU coaching search

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand your point NC Card, but it is difficult to separate any sports story from the political and cultural influences that dominates people and places.

This story about the opening at LSU, or Satterfield dalliance with the USC Jr opening are only being discussed here, when knowing that Louisville is viewed across America as “a place to avoid”.

Some may assign the Luke McCaffrey “u-turn” as a result of seeing more competition at QB than expected, but I doubt that had anything to do with his decision to leave so quickly, as the number of others leaving the program suggests otherwise.

Louisville and this University are in a very “dark place“ right now, and I believe there is much wisdom in the adage “the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing”.

If this community (UL sports or Louisville as a city) avoids acknowledging the vacuum of leadership here, it will remain unchallenged and we will end up just like Baltimore. I have been there, I have seen it and it is not a pretty site.

Baltimore or numerous other cities that have chosen the wrong leadership. Also I would like to point out that it is hard not to be political on a sports forum since the colleges and pro ranks have become political. I love talking politics but I also like a place you could go and not talk politics. However, the powers that be have turned the sports world into a political platform.

You do realize all these so called victims were criminals in the act of committing crimes right? Well the state is considering a no bail law I guess that is because our governor is a democrat.
You need to learn how to “quote” respond. And the legislature is Republican, yet, here we are.

I understand your point NC Card, but it is difficult to separate any sports story from the political and cultural influences that dominates people and places.

This story about the opening at LSU, or Satterfield dalliance with the USC Jr opening are only being discussed here, when knowing that Louisville is viewed across America as “a place to avoid”.

Some may assign the Luke McCaffrey “u-turn” as a result of seeing more competition at QB than expected, but I doubt that had anything to do with his decision to leave so quickly, as the number of others leaving the program suggests otherwise.

Louisville and this University are in a very “dark place“ right now, and I believe there is much wisdom in the adage “the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing”.

If this community (UL sports or Louisville as a city) avoids acknowledging the vacuum of leadership here, it will remain unchallenged and we will end up just like Baltimore. I have been there, I have seen it and it is not a pretty site.
You are so full of s***, it’s not even funny. Brain washed know it all.

In 2018 Baton Rouge was the 5th deadliest city in the country. New Orleans #4 if you wanna take a quick road trip from one battleground to another.

I don't know Dan but if he leaves I'm not sure the reason would be because Baton Rouge qualifies as a safer more harmonious place to live than Louisville.

"Baton Rouge, Louisiana's state capital, is the nation's fifth deadliest city. It saw 35.1 homicide deaths per 100,000 residents in 2018, which is 10 places higher than Chicago's murder rate. In total, 87 people were murdered in Baton Rouge in 2018, according to The Advocate, which was a decrease from 2017's 106 murders."

Another "watch your back" if you're planning on moving to Baton Rouge notice, a little more recent study.

"Baton Rouge fared especially poor in home and community safety, ranking last at 182 — barely surpassing Detroit, MI."

CardX, your response provides evidence of the same violent mentality that is at least part of the problem in our community. Attacking an opposing opinion with personal insults is not the way to influence anyone.

IPARTIED: your point is well made; as there are other cities like Baton Rouge and Louisville where there is crime and violence. The contrast between those two cities is the manner in which law enforcement is treated by the leadership.

Reactions: rh62531
Since this post got entirely derailed, I’m going to start a new thread.

IPARTIED: your point is well made; as there are other cities like Baton Rouge and Louisville where there is crime and violence. The contrast between those two cities is the manner in which law enforcement is treated by the leadership.
To be clear, my point is, I'm not sure a person moves from one problematic criminal area into another problematic criminal area that is statistically actually more criminally problematic. The theory makes absolutely no sense.

It would be like saying, "I'm moving from Buffalo because it's cold. I'm moving to Alaska." It just doesn't make sense.

If Dan were to leave for say, Stanford, or some school in a safe area in the Mid-Atlantic, or even any area that had less crime than Louisville, the argument could at least make some sense.

All you have to do is research crime in the US and that should tell you everything you need to know. While your at it research crime in cities in the US and see what you find,

CardX, your response provides evidence of the same violent mentality that is at least part of the problem in our community. Attacking an opposing opinion with personal insults is not the way to influence anyone.
I’m not trying to influence anyone. Just counter pointing the BS in this thread. Some of you folks are insane. Come back to reality.

Reactions: rh62531
Let’s get back to baseball, please! Anyone?
I agree. But Trumper’s live to spread divisive information. Masks are ineffective, vaccines kill people, COVID is not real, the election was stolen, the Capitol Insurrection was no big deal. It is sad what we have become and we have a country with legislators that have no interest in debate and compromise. Rather, go extreme and block the other side. If democracy dies here, that is why.

Last edited:
Reactions: CardX and BPGhost

Absolutely the most idiotic thing ever posted on this forum. Louisville has a lower homicide rate- even after 2020- than the 2 nearest most comparable cities- Indianapolis and Cincinnati. Not to mention, almost all of the homicides are in the West End. Not that it makes it better, but I doubt Dan is spending a lot of time there.

Absolutely the most idiotic thing ever posted on this forum. Louisville has a lower homicide rate- even after 2020- than the 2 nearest most comparable cities- Indianapolis and Cincinnati. Not to mention, almost all of the homicides are in the West End. Not that it makes it better, but I doubt Dan is spending a lot of time there

Last edited:
OLD: you obviously have no understanding whatsoever of this topic. The issues Louisville is experiencing is not confined to number or murder rate. Rather it is the failure of our leadership to respond to the precautionary alert that was delivered by the FBI, as the drug activity on the I-65 corridor was gaining in size and arriving in Louisville.

I do not dismiss numbers or rates of criminality, but there is more to it. The decision and manner that Louisville leadership responded to the Breonna civil lawsuit was not only wrong, it sets the worst possible message to the community in general. No amount of money would bring Ms Taylor back.

OLD: you obviously have no understanding whatsoever of this topic. The issues Louisville is experiencing is not confined to number or murder rate. Rather it is the failure of our leadership to respond to the precautionary alert that was delivered by the FBI, as the drug activity on the I-65 corridor was gaining in size and arriving in Louisville.

I do not dismiss numbers or rates of criminality, but there is more to it. The decision and manner that Louisville leadership responded to the Breonna civil lawsuit was not only wrong, it sets the worst possible message to the community in general. No amount of money would bring Ms Taylor back.
Yeah, I’m sure Dan McDonnell is concerned about the drug enforcement policy specifics of the FBI and local police. I’m not going to pretend that our local leadership and police are good; they aren’t. They are pretty ineffective. Although the things you talk about, like the Breonna Taylor settlement, happen in every single city. And by the way, there has been a Breonna Taylor- type situation (police involved shooting causing local protests) in pretty much every single city too. Seriously, think of a city, and you can find one. It’s always funny to me how people think the things that happen here aren’t the exact same things that are happening across the country.

Now, here is a legitimate criticism. The local government spends way too much money trying to get people to go downtown, pretty much the only place they make infrastructure investments. Whereas, the money would be a lot better spent in places like Bardstown Rd and Frankfort Ave where people already go.

But I doubt any of these factors weigh into McDonnell’s decision.

The truth is, I think there is a decent chance he goes, and I’ve thought that since LSU was struggling early in the season and LSU fans were calling for Mainieri’s job. LSU packs their stadium. It’s electric. We don’t really compare on that basis, and this year probably left an especially bad taste in McDonnell’s mouth, with the limited attendance. I think Tyra could be doing a much better job marketing the program and trying to sell out the stadium (there is barely any advertisement).

This exchange started out about Dan and Scott; specifically related to any potential Tom their leaving UL. In fairness to Dan, there is nothing that he has done or even said, to warrant such a suggestion; as for Satterfield, his pursuit of Columbia SC is another matter. Now this thread has evolved into political opinion; which has attracted your more reasonable contribution, while others have resorted to insults.

There are indeed many similarities between Indy, Nashville, Cincinnati and Louisville, but the difference here is that we have a large Urban University located in the middle of the city that is directly affected by the recent civil disturbances in Louisville. Cincinnati is the one sister city that closely resembles ours, as it also has a large urban University inside its city. In contrast, they experienced a similar event in 2015 after a white Police officer had shot and killed a black male during a traffic stop. There were riots, but the difference is the manner in which the city leadership responded so quickly with martial law, which resulted in a rather quick end to the civil disobedience and the disruption of commerce. Consequentl, UC has not been adversely affected, certainly to the level of what UL is experiencing.

My concern is that UL coaches and many business owners who work in the city have grave concerns about the future; I know, because I have business interests in this city myself. Aside from the investment in brick and mortar, the lives of my employees, who depend on their jobs, are directly affected.

My sincere apologies to those of you that I may have offended, or angered by expressing my own opinions; as that was not my intention. I was born and raised in this city, but moved to Shelby Co 2 years ago. I love Louisville, and this University and the people of this community. I do not however have any respect for the leadership, and that has been my primary message.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
This exchange started out about Dan and Scott; specifically related to any potential Tom their leaving UL. In fairness to Dan, there is nothing that he has done or even said, to warrant such a suggestion; as for Satterfield, his pursuit of Columbia SC is another matter. Now this thread has evolved into political opinion; which has attracted your more reasonable contribution, while others have resorted to insults.

There are indeed many similarities between Indy, Nashville, Cincinnati and Louisville, but the difference here is that we have a large Urban University located in the middle of the city that is directly affected by the recent civil disturbances in Louisville. Cincinnati is the one sister city that closely resembles ours, as it also has a large urban University inside its city. In contrast, they experienced a similar event in 2015 after a white Police officer had shot and killed a black male during a traffic stop. There were riots, but the difference is the manner in which the city leadership responded so quickly with martial law, which resulted in a rather quick end to the civil disobedience and the disruption of commerce. Consequentl, UC has not been adversely affected, certainly to the level of what UL is experiencing.

My concern is that UL coaches and many business owners who work in the city have grave concerns about the future; I know, because I have business interests in this city myself. Aside from the investment in brick and mortar, the lives of my employees, who depend on their jobs, are directly affected.

My sincere apologies to those of you that I may have offended, or angered by expressing my own opinions; as that was not my intention. I was born and raised in this city, but moved to Shelby Co 2 years ago. I love Louisville, and this University and the people of this community. I do not however have any respect for the leadership, and that has been my primary message.
I think we have fundamental disagreements on this city. I- too- have business interests in Louisville, including a number of retail and apartment buildings in the highlands. There are so many tailwinds for the city if leadership could just build on momentum- make the easy infrastructure investments and bring us from 1960 to 2021. (Notably, the freight trains that pass through the middle of Germantown should be rerouted or put in tunnels, which CSX has done in other cities. We need to put pressure— that’s on leadership). When I show apartments, about 80+% of people aren’t from Louisville. In addition, there is a growing immigrant community, evident anytime you take a walk at Louisville waterfront. They add so much culture - not to mention economic growth- to the city. To be sure, there are people leaving the city as well, for jobs or other personal preference (inflows and outflows are normal for a city), although the population is still growing (not as fast as Nashville, not as slow as Cincinnati, not shrinking like Cleveland and Detroit).

Back to sports, the suggestion that local policy has had any impact on UofL is kind of a joke. I think the biggest problem with local leadership is lack of vision (civic malaise) which was a problem in 2015 and before when the Cards were doing great. The field hockey team went to the finals of the NCAA tournament and the volleyball team went to the S16. Why wouldn’t local policy affect those teams the same way?

You didn’t offend me by expressing your “own opinions”; actually they are pretty predictable. I know your type very well- and many of you have moved to Shelby, Bullitt, Henry, etc (which are essentially suburbs of Louisville anyway) and some of you have moved to Florida. Truthfully, I think that’s great.

I would also say a major difference in these two instances is the time they happened. Once happened during a pandemic one didn't. I honestly the pandemic has what has been taking a bigger toll on the city than anything else and I think that applies to a lot of cities around the country.

Reactions: putter23 and SoulSr
I would also say a major difference in these two instances is the time they happened. Once happened during a pandemic one didn't. I honestly the pandemic has what has been taking a bigger toll on the city than anything else and I think that applies to a lot of cities around the country.
It is a sad commentary that every topic on a sports message board quickly devolves into a divisive political discussion. This thread was intended to be a discussion of whether there is reason for concern that a great baseball coach may be a target of LSU. Instead, the thread has devolved into opinions regarding everything but the topic at hand.

Reactions: 73Card
It is a sad commentary that every topic on a sports message board quickly devolves into a divisive political discussion. This thread was intended to be a discussion of whether there is reason for concern that a great baseball coach may be a target of LSU. Instead, the thread has devolved into opinions regarding everything but the topic at hand.
Unfortunately that is where we are as a country.

Reactions: putter23 and 73Card
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT