ADVERTISEMENT

Dan McDonnell a target in LSU coaching search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cardinal Cash

Four-Star Poster
Gold Member
Oct 18, 2016
Rumor has it we’re going to be fighting for coach again. This is getting exhausting. Frankly, I thought the move to the ACC would bring us past a stepping stone job in a lot of our sports. I think if we can hold on one more time, Dan will retire here, but I just have a bad feeling this time is the time he jumps. Maybe the reason for the struggles is that he already knew he was taking the job.

I tend to agree. It could be several things from all the political strife in the city of Louisville to just being ready for doing something different. McDonnell may be seeking another challenge. He's not a local so his heart may be somewhere else.

I don't think it's anything like a stepping stone. Louisville baseball is one of a handful of elite baseball programs. He's young enough to do somewhere else what he did here. He definitely has to decide on that or spending his entire career at one place.

And honestly my fellow fans, how popular or likable is the University of Louisville lately? McDonnell may see the university as a sinking ship, at least compared to other attractive places.

A lot of us don't want to talk about it or even believe it, but ever since the scandal that cost the university a national championship, the sports at UofL is falling faster than a Jacob DeGrom fastball.

Another bad year next season from Satterfield and Mack and things around here are not going to be pleasant. Cards fans have worried before about coaches McDonnell and Walz being effected by the top two major sports programs.

Coach Walz seems like the coach who wants to spend his entire career at the place he created a national elite power. It is a bit easier since he doesn't lose recruits to pro ball or lose his best players after 1 or 2 seasons.

McDonnell on the other hand is feeling the pinch of losing his best players after only two seasons of actual playing. He's not getting the top recruits to ignore the draft like Brendan McKay did. If he senses multiple down years here he may look to rebuild somewhere else.

All speculation on my part but the way things have been going with UofL sports, nothing will surprise me.

Well, it's pretty interesting speculation. It's going to be tough to try to be constantly recruiting rather than developing, plus the sports here are definitely not proceeding in an upward vector right now at Louisville, and the scandal hangover still hangs and seems to perpetuate, and the city has extraordinary economic, safety, fear and race issues.

Also the incredibly larger budgets that the SEC teams are going to have means they can afford to significantly amp up baseball, men's basketball, women's basketball, and all other sports. They don't need to amp up FB. They just spread their greater media dollars over the other sports. Including coaches and asst coaches and facilities.

If this is true, which I doubt, LSU or whomever, will have to ramp up what they are willing to pay for a baseball coach. CDM is paid handsomely at UofL and I cannot imagine that he would make a lateral financial move. In addition his wife and family are very happy here. He is competing in an outstanding baseball conference and he gets good recruits here. One “somewhat” bad season here isn’t going to convince him to move on. Now IF we were not in the ACC then things might be different.

GO CARDS!!!

I’ll tell you that I believe football and both basketball programs are on a major upswing here at UofL. And this is exactly what we will see this upcoming season. With Covid seemingly winding down we will see much larger crowds at all of these athletic events. With additional income UofL athletics will be in growth mode once again. All Universities in the USA are fighting exactly the same issues. Plus ALL college baseball teams lose players after their junior seasons. Some stick around but the best players are eligible to be drafted by MLB for the second time after 3 seasons in college baseball.

GO CARDS!!!

McDonnell is a baseball guy so it will not be a surprise if he goes to LSU. Great fan base, weather, recruiting, and a great conference. They love their baseball at LSU.

They have many good things going on here as well. It is his program. They are planning big things.

Either way he has earned whatever comes his way.

I would be absolutely shocked if LSU or any other school were able to get CDM to leave here. I will say that I’ve been shocked before so I could be wrong. But CDM is in an excellent spot here and he and his family know this. Our AD may need to “act” if this situation did in fact became a fact.

GO CARDS!!!

I’m not, like others, going to speculate doom and gloom. Here’s how it works. It’s real simple. If you’re good at your job, others may want to hire you. DM is good at his job. DM also has SEC ties. LSU baseball is a top tier job on top of everything else. That’s it. But, if I were going to speculate, I’d suggest Tyra is a terrible AD. His marquee hires are average at best. Other coaches could be looking around thinking “that’s the best he can do?”

That can change year to year. Next year, he has a ton of returning of players next year plus another fantastic recruiting class. Next year’s team, I’m betting, will be vastly improved and right back hosting a regional.
I want to agree with this but I need to see what we have as far as pitching and if we make any changes in the infield.

Well, 1/2 of the infield most likely will be different as Binelas and Dunn most likely don’t return. Jack should take over at catcher. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Metz take over at 3B. Lots of pitching coming back; of course, can they consistently throw strikes...

Well, 1/2 of the infield most likely will be different as Binelas and Dunn most likely don’t return. Jack should take over at catcher. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Metz take over at 3B. Lots of pitching coming back; of course, can they consistently throw strikes...
I personally think Dunn should return. I think his draft potential took a dive. Of course, by returning you take a chance that this year wasn’t a fluke.

Reactions: gocds and Bardman
I personally think Dunn should return. I think his draft potential took a dive. Of course, by returning you take a chance that this year wasn’t a fluke.
I agree. In another post I actually listed him as a maybe.

It will depend where he is drafted. He is versatile but I wouldn’t say he is great at any position. Very good arm, better than average speed and a decent at the plate.

Tools are there just not sure he is mentally where he needs to be.

Reactions: Bardman
I don’t think CDM leaves, he is an east coast guy and being in Louisville traveling the east coast is great for him. LSU is an attractive job with the money to lure good coaches. I would rather live in Louisville than Baton Rouge but the city is a wreck right now and the crap journal doesn’t help.
The newspaper with the articles they print are creating decisiveness and maybe he wants to get away who knows. The main thing regarding recruiting most of his players come from the Midwest not the Deep South.

CC
I truly hope you are correct; CDM is not only one of the finest college baseball coaches in America, he is recognized in this community as a person of exceptional character, and a model for this University.

I suspect Dan sees this community much the same way that most do; one of significant contrast. On one hand, there are influential elected leaders and media who have set a tone of divisiveness, resulting in chaos that seems undeterred; on the other hand, there is a contrasting segment of this population who hold more conservative values that are based on the rule of law.

If the violence continues here, Louisville will follow the same destructive path that has gripped Baltimore. We will not only lose good folks like Dan, we will lose a whole lot more,

What you're talking about is why all sports are struggling and it started before covid 19. Professional sports has been going this way for years as the games and its players started added political stances to their advertising. They apparently didn't know fans use sports to get away from such things.

Now collegiate sports has been infected with the same BS and fans are not going to be lectured by uninformed teenagers who are being used by adults with political motivations. Useful idiots as Vladimir Lenin called them 100 years ago.

Why wouldn't McDonnell not consider moving on? Does anyone think it's going to get better? Another summer of violent protests and it's over and these coaches cannot be blamed.

What so many people, including the proponents of all of this don't seem to realize, is that fundamental transformation includes sports. No way the economic reset being pursued right now would be a good thing for sports. It's why all of this is so maddening as too many people just don't realize what kind of existence it would be like under this new build it back better nonsense.

You want change? You want CRT? You want a centralized group of beaurcrats and politicians picking winners and losers based on their wokeness, then be prepared to lose not just sports but any form of entertainment. Being worried and pissed at bad calls and bad play just won't be as important as high gas prices and being labeled a racist.

My greatest fear is that many/most college athletes on teams will begin playing "solely" as individuals ... just for themselves. And for their own personal future careers and money. At the age of 18 !!!

I think most athletes will require a college salary. And it will be permitted.

After that, within a few years, college prePro athletes will unionize.

Many will be OK with going along with all of that. Many will not.

I think some of you are blaming politics for whatever ails cities like Louisville, when in fact, it is the simple fact that we are all different. When I go to Cardinal Stadium, The Yum or Jim Patterson Field I’m quite sure that the attendees are not divided in their seats by their political beliefs. Even the visitors have different political view points from one another but they find a commonality in their support of their “team”. Living in the USA gives us this wonderful gift and if you don’t like things the way they are then you have the perfect right to attempt to make whatever change you feel is necessary.

GO CARDS!!!

Unfortunately right now politics is ailing our city and it is damaging our city. Things will only get worse because summer is here and that is when things like this normally go down hill. I am not familiar with the Baton Rouge situation in regards to unrest there. I have done a lot of work in Baton Rouge over the years and I am not impressed with the city as a place to live.

Pat Casey is now the primary target for LSU to replace their baseball coach. That is unless U of L fans continue to want to push McDonnell elsewhere. Instead of fretting over whether he leaves how about showing more support by saying we don’t want him to leave and believe last year was a fluke.

Pat Casey is now the primary target for LSU to replace their baseball coach. That is unless U of L fans continue to want to push McDonnell elsewhere. Instead of fretting over whether he leaves how about showing more support by saying we don’t want him to leave and believe last year was a fluke.
I want Dan to STAY at Louisville!

Reactions: nccardfan
Oh, I think some folks are using this as an opportunity to vent their political feelings. Strange days indeed, when a coach is potentially a target of another school, and suddenly, it all turns into conspiracy theories, conjecture, and rumor mongering. It's almost like they want CDM to leave to spite the city, to strengthen their overly dramatic beliefs Louisville is a cess pool of death and destruction.

Thing is…record-wise, this last season really wasn’t that bad. We all think it could have been better. But, injuries, Covid, focus, etc. just didn’t go our way. I still firmly believe next season we will see a far better team.

I want CDM to stay but to say politics in our city isn’t damaging our city is wrong. I am in Alabama right now and they were talking about places that have the no bail policies for criminals. Guess what Louisville is one of the cities they were talking about. They also said that cities with policies like this have higher crime and declining populations.

Reactions: rh62531
I want CDM to stay but to say politics in our city isn’t damaging our city is wrong. I am in Alabama right now and they were talking about places that have the no bail policies for criminals. Guess what Louisville is one of the cities they were talking about. They also said that cities with policies like this have higher crime and declining populations.
Alabamans you say? We should pay attention to what they say or how they think because???

Reactions: fredburgcard
Some are thinking politics are vastly different when, in fact, they are pretty much the same everywhere.

GO CARDS!!!

Oh, I think some folks are using this as an opportunity to vent their political feelings. Strange days indeed, when a coach is potentially a target of another school, and suddenly, it all turns into conspiracy theories, conjecture, and rumor mongering. It's almost like they want CDM to leave to spite the city, to strengthen their overly dramatic beliefs Louisville is a cess pool of death and destruction.
There is no theory dude. There were riots, looting, assaults and injuries and death last summer in Louisville Kentucky. There are efforts as I write this for more protests to demand things that everyone knows, except for you apparently, will bring on divisions in the city.

It's being amped up in the cities that are involved and Louisville is one of those cities. Again, it's not my conjecture. It's a fact and you have to be living under one huge rock to say responding to this movement is over dramatic. I wish it was.

The entire point that I made was McDonnell knows this and I assure you he doesn't see rumor mongering and exaggeration with what he has seen. I'm surprised he hasn't already been asked why he doesn't recruit more black players.

The country is out of control. It's a free for all in the public square. People can burn shit down, loot department stores, attack police officers and do it all under the mantra that only their opinions matter. And dare anyone do something about it.

We have seen nothing yet with sports and everything else unless this madness stops. Any city affected by this movement is going to suffer and that will include sports teams. It's not a theory. It's in progress.

It wasn’t people from Alabama saying that I saw it on national news when I was in my hotel room. If a city gets the wrong leaders in place they can ruin a city. Memphis is a perfect example of that. Once a nice place now a shit hole place. It is a welfare city, a sanctuary city, the number one industry is welfare and they are ranked in the top 10 in almost every criminal category.

There is no theory dude. There were riots, looting, assaults and injuries and death last summer in Louisville Kentucky. There are efforts as I write this for more protests to demand things that everyone knows, except for you apparently, will bring on divisions in the city.

It's being amped up in the cities that are involved and Louisville is one of those cities. Again, it's not my conjecture. It's a fact and you have to be living under one huge rock to say responding to this movement is over dramatic. I wish it was.

The entire point that I made was McDonnell knows this and I assure you he doesn't see rumor mongering and exaggeration with what he has seen. I'm surprised he hasn't already been asked why he doesn't recruit more black players.

The country is out of control. It's a free for all in the public square. People can burn shit down, loot department stores, attack police officers and do it all under the mantra that only their opinions matter. And dare anyone do something about it.

We have seen nothing yet with sports and everything else unless this madness stops. Any city affected by this movement is going to suffer and that will include sports teams. It's not a theory. It's in progress.
You left out insurrectionists storming the Capitol. Also, if bad cops stopped killing people, we wouldn’t be here. If you want to assign blame, be fair about it. I was unaware you spoke for CDM, knew his feelings and inner thoughts. Impressive. But, the point I was making is you guys run with your theories because your upset over people responding to cops killing people. Seems weird.

Last edited:
It wasn’t people from Alabama saying that I saw it on national news when I was in my hotel room. If a city gets the wrong leaders in place they can ruin a city. Memphis is a perfect example of that. Once a nice place now a shit hole place. It is a welfare city, a sanctuary city, the number one industry is welfare and they are ranked in the top 10 in almost every criminal category.
Louisville doesn’t make bail laws. The state does.

Reactions: fredburgcard
You left out insurrectionists storming the Capitol. Also, if bad cops stopped killing people, we wouldn’t be here. If you want to assign blame, be fair about it. I was unaware you spoke for CDM, knew his feelings and inner thoughts. Impressive. But, the point I was making is you guys run with your theories because your upset over people responding to cops killing people. Seems weird.
I wonder where we would be if people git as upset over regular people killing other regular people.

You do realize all these so called victims were criminals in the act of committing crimes right? Well the state is considering a no bail law I guess that is because our governor is a democrat.

Reactions: rh62531 and Bardman
The thing that bothers people is BLM can riot, kill, loot and vandalize all in the name of injustice and nothing is done.

Reactions: Bardman
This argument is ridiculous and you just don't want to admit it. Black people kill more black people by far than police do. This notion that all of this strife is warranted because of police shootings is nonsense. It's an excuse to be unlawful and unaccountable.

This hasn't just been a problem in America with black people. Plenty of white people killed other white people in American history. The old west is infamous for this kind of crime wave as was the 1920's and the era of robbing banks for the poor horseshit. Bonnie and Clyde killed people so much that the law enforcement executed them with 100 bullets on the side of the road. They didn't care the murderers were white.

The actual statistics on police shootings are available and none of it suggests there's an epidemic of racial based shootings. There is a epidemic of urban black on black crime and it's the police who are tasked to stop the violence and that can and will mean they employ violence to do that.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
On my way home from Alabama I was listening to a talk show and they were talking about racism in Tulsa 100 years ago. Then they started talking about racism in 1864 ( 157 years ago ) and I thought if that is their topic of discussion in 2021 then there must not be as much racism as the narrative projects.

Reactions: TheRealVille
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT