ADVERTISEMENT

Dabo and Watson whining about the Heisman.

I don't see it as whining. He thinks he had the best player in the country. I'd be partial to my guy too.

I don't see it as whining. He thinks he had the best player in the country. I'd be partial to my guy too.
It's whining on Watson's part. The guy just can't accept the fact that Lamar was the best player in the country this year and deserved to win the Trophy. While Lamar gushed about the other 4 guys in New York especially Watson, all Deshaun ever said is "I'm the best player in the Nation."

Hell, Watson is lucky he made 2nd team All ACC. That probably should have gone to Mitch Trubisky. The guy that's also going to go ahead of Watson in the draft.

For a kid everyone says is so classy, he could learn some humility from 19 year old Heisman Trophy Winner, Lamar Jackson.

It's whining when he takes shots at the both the winner and, the award itself. There is a way to support your player and still be classy about it.

Dumbo failed.

I don't see how they took a shot at Lamar. This is all that was said.

Both Watson and Swinney say they aren't knocking Jackson's talent and they understand how he won. But unlike Jackson, who only has the Citrus Bowl against LSU left before his season ends, Watson hopes to be play two more games and achieve his ultimate goal when arriving Clemson from Gainesville, Georgia.

Differing opinions I guess.......................

Both Watson and Swinney say they aren't knocking Jackson's talent and they understand how he won. But unlike Jackson, who only has the Citrus Bowl against LSU left before his season ends, Watson hopes to be play two more games and achieve his ultimate goal when arriving Clemson from Gainesville, Georgia.

"I'm the best player in the country. That's how I think. That's how I feel. People have their own way of voting,"

Clemson coach Dabo Swinney agrees with Watson that he should have won the Heisman Trophy, saying Heisman voters likely were numbed by Watson's amazing play over three years.

So what they've said is that the criteria for the award is shortsighted and the voting process flawed and, that based upon those failings in the system, they can "understand" how the wrong person (LJ) won the award. I guess it's a good thing they weren't asked about the Walter Camp award - they really would have crapped on how that is chosen - lol.

Yeah, I'd say my opinion is different.

"I'm the best player in the country. That's how I think. That's how I feel. People have their own way of voting,"

Clemson coach Dabo Swinney agrees with Watson that he should have won the Heisman Trophy, saying Heisman voters likely were numbed by Watson's amazing play over three years.

So what they've said is that the criteria for the award is shortsighted and the voting process flawed and, that based upon those failings in the system, they can "understand" how the wrong person (LJ) won the award. I guess it's a good thing they weren't asked about the Walter Camp award - they really would have crapped on how that is chosen - lol.

Yeah, I'd say my opinion is different.

Or the Maxwell Award...the ACC Offensive Player of the Year....Every 1st Team All American List..etc..etc...

Reactions: Louisvillian
What the hell is a "Dabo"?

deebo-friday-pictures.jpg

That DEBO...not Dabo...That my Bike Punk...lol

I used to lift weights at a gym in Fairmont WV, about 15 minutes south of here. Anyway, this gym was OLD SCHOOL. Remember when Apollo Creed takes Rocky into his old gym and everyone just stopped and stared at him? It was bench press rack after bench press rack, squat rack after squat rack. Old school. Anyway, there was this guy there, a monster, this dude looked just like Debo. This guy would squat and deadlift with a bar just loaded with 45 pound plates. Same gray sweatpants, same gray sweatshirt, every day. Looked mean as hell. Dude probably had to walk through doors sideways to fit through.

Anyway, "Debo" & I crossed paths in the gym one day and I struck up conversation with the guy, asked him how he was doing or something. He went on & on about how some girl had him down, broke his heart, he had been laying in bed crying all week that he was so sad. I was like, "But dude, you're Debo!! You don't cry!" LOL. It's safe to say that wasn't the conversation I was expecting to have with "Debo."

Reactions: The Public Enemy

You don't have a lot going on, do you?

Not condoning what they said but part of this is related to the NFL projections saying that LJ doesn't project as a NFL QB because he doesn't have the frame to withstand hits. Watson may well be the first QB selected so he could turn into another Winston or Derek Carr as opposed to a RG3.

Not condoning what they said but part of this is related to the NFL projections saying that LJ doesn't project as a NFL QB because he doesn't have the frame to withstand hits. Watson may well be the first QB selected so he could turn into another Winston or Derek Carr as opposed to a RG3.
Good thing he doesn't get hit very much, or solidly.

Reactions: Deeva

Another ACC QB is more likely to go before Watson....UNC QB Mitch Trubusky....

Reactions: Deeva
I'm glad the Heisman voting is done early otherwise I'm not sure LJ would win now. CF may rethink things and start considering the playoffs as part of the season...
They might but, I hope not. And I don't think that LJ would win if the voting was held today but, that doesn't mean that he's not still the best player. The Heisman was supposed to be about the best player in CFB - it morphed into the best Offensive player in CFB a while ago. If it now is totally transformed into the best offensive player on the best team, then it's no longer the Heisman.

I know this is football but I guess I think of it like basketball and Griffith comes to mind. Taking your team on your back and doing the ultimate. Maybe not necessarily winning it all but clearly making everyone else around you better. I gusss that's hard to do in football.

Maybe not necessarily winning it all but clearly making everyone else around you better. I gusss that's hard to do in football.
Not trying to be a wiseass but yeah, I'd say it's a little harder to affect the outcome of a game that includes features about 4-5 times as many players. Do we really think that we would have had a better record or Clemson a worse record if LJ and Watson were switched?

After the last 4 games I can't blame them for "whining".

DW is by far a better QUARTERBACK.

Runner? No.

QB? Much better.

Reactions: SoulSr
Not trying to be a wiseass but yeah, I'd say it's a little harder to affect the outcome of a game that includes features about 4-5 times as many players. Do we really think that we would have had a better record or Clemson a worse record if LJ and Watson were switched?
Maybe not but I think a QB like Jameis Winston might have gotten in a few of his O lineman faces if he was getting killed every play. To his credit I never heard a negative from LJ about the line play but somebody probably should have.

Maybe not but I think a QB like Jameis Winston might have gotten in a few of his O lineman faces if he was getting killed every play. To his credit I never heard a negative from LJ about the line play but somebody probably should have.
There are a lot of things that Winston would do that I'm thankful LJ won't. That said, I think moving forward he takes a decidedly bigger leadership role - including getting in guys faces in a productive manner.

After the last 4 games I can't blame them for "whining".

DW is by far a better QUARTERBACK.

Runner? No.

QB? Much better.
I'm curious, what do you base that statement on? I think Watson is more polished at this level but he also has 1 1/2 years more years / games as a starter in experience. He also has a way better OL, better RBs to hand off to and, better WRs to throw to.

Watson got sacked a grand total of 13 - including last night - and still threw 17 picks. Put him behind UofL's OL with the same play calling LJ got and you could triple that sack total and add 5-10 more picks.

It's my opinion. I've seen great QB's around here for a long time.

But the one biggest difference is, DW knows his limitations. He knows he can't score every time he touch's the ball.

Yes, he threw some picks this year, but how many fumbles did he have trying to make something from nothing? Yes, LJ can break one occasionally, but he fumbles twice as often.

He knows when to cut his loses and either THROW THE FRIGGIN BALL AWAY, or just take the sack without losing 15 more yards.

Chris Redman was a great QB, and he can't outrun me. I'll wager today that his NFL career has been longer than LJ's will be.

All that said, if LJ does learn how to be a cerebral QB, his potential is limitless.

Time will tell.

It's my opinion. I've seen great QB's around here for a long time.

But the one biggest difference is, DW knows his limitations. He knows he can't score every time he touch's the ball.

Yes, he threw some picks this year, but how many fumbles did he have trying to make something from nothing? Yes, LJ can break one occasionally, but he fumbles twice as often.

He knows when to cut his loses and either THROW THE FRIGGIN BALL AWAY, or just take the sack without losing 15 more yards.

Chris Redman was a great QB, and he can't outrun me. I'll wager today that his NFL career has been longer than LJ's will be.

All that said, if LJ does learn how to be a cerebral QB, his potential is limitless.

Time will tell.
Thing is - LJ can score every time he touches the ball. Plenty of video to prove it. I agree that he has to get better about picking his spots, tucking the football and either getting out of the pocket or throwing the ball away but, he accounted for 51 TDs. That doesn't square with your comment about his TO total.

Thought CR was awesome so it's no knock on him when I say that LJ's passing numbers (with the exception of completion %) are comparable if not better at the same point in their college careers. Hopefully he continues to work and we get some OL and better play calling to help him out.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
What's done is done. LJ won it on a seasons worth of work. Yeah, the team finished poorly, but when you look at the whole season, who had a better individual season. Watson had more picks last night. His team is better, but LJ was better individually.

Reactions: BPGhost
You guys can claim the Heisman went to the best player but y'all know that's not true. LJ won the Heisman based on two games: 8 TDs against a high school team from Charlotte and FSU. This year, the Heisman was given to the player with the best stats, not the best player. The best player is playing in the National Championship while the "Heisman winner" lays an egg in three straight games. Sour grapes? No, reality. This is no knock on LJ, it's a knock on the voters that gave the award to the guy with the impressive individual stats, not the best player. Fire away.

You guys can claim the Heisman went to the best player but y'all know that's not true. LJ won the Heisman based on two games: 8 TDs against a high school team from Charlotte and FSU. This year, the Heisman was given to the player with the best stats, not the best player. The best player is playing in the National Championship while the "Heisman winner" lays an egg in three straight games. Sour grapes? No, reality. This is no knock on LJ, it's a knock on the voters that gave the award to the guy with the impressive individual stats, not the best player. Fire away.
Your quarrel is with the Heisman voters who rejected Watson twice, not LJ, or Louisville fans. While you're at it, you can argue with the voters of all of the (too numerous to list) other awards that judged LJ to be better than Watson.

Your post omits the fact that Heisman voters and the country saw LJ outplay Watson head to head and, run past, through and over defenders among many other must see moments.

Simply put - Watson had no such moments. He is a really good player on a great team but take away the pop pass and his stats look even less impressive.

What's done is done. LJ won it on a seasons worth of work. Yeah, the team finished poorly, but when you look at the whole season, who had a better individual season. Watson had more picks last night. His team is better, but LJ was better individually.
As a fan of the team, which would you rather have? A better team or a better individual?

Reactions: Rollem Cards
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT