ADVERTISEMENT

Cutcliffe out, Lincoln Riley to USC

Good grief OU. By joining the SEC OU has made themselves a stepping stone. Welcome to the club. Dumbest move ever moving to the SEC.

Reactions: Mayoman and rh62531
Good grief OU. By joining the SEC OU has made themselves a stepping stone. Welcome to the club. Dumbest move ever moving to the SEC.
Economically they had zero choice, especially as they were left with the situation of a Big XII without Texas. Just look at what is happening with coaching positions now; the Big Ten and SEC buyoff and buyout their mistakes. The other conferences have to weigh whether they can afford a buyout first, and then money whip a coach to come in. Those aren't concerns in the Big Ten or SEC anymore.

Kelly to LSU! Wow…seems like a bad fit. Gonna be Matt Campbell or Luke Fickell battling it out for ND. I could see Fickell taking the job so long as ND allows him to coach thru CFP

• Wow
Reactions: CommodoreCard
I agree I also think Kelly is a bad fit, they must of thrown a lot of money at him. It is kind of funny all these big power schools and their coaches are leaving for other schools.

College football landscape is historically changing, and we are giving 18-18, $3.25 another year. We’ll get left behind without dynamic leadership from UofL. Careful, Cards.

Reports are that LSU gonna pay over $10M/yr possibly as high as $15M/yr. the cold truth is that the ACC schools don’t generate enough revenue to keep up.

Reports are that LSU gonna pay over $10M/yr possibly as high as $15M/yr. the cold truth is that the ACC schools don’t generate enough revenue to keep up.
There are only a few schools who can. Those same schools typically have big attendance numbers, too. That separation will be the next conference. We won’t be part of that.

Kelly to LSU! Wow…seems like a bad fit. Gonna be Matt Campbell or Luke Fickell battling it out for ND. I could see Fickell taking the job so long as ND allows him to coach thru CFP

I hope not. Cincy has fought too hard to get to where they are just to have it messed up by the coaching carousel. Seriously this is a once in a lifetime opportunity and it would be absolutely tragic.

Satt would be a great fit for Duke. Back home, family happy, no pressure, no more Stoopid fans.

“Historical changes” in college football is an understatement, as the SEC is taking college football to a whole new level.

No inside information here, but I suspect Lincoln Riley left the Sooners in large part as a result of seeing the future inside the SEC as a “no win situation”. In addition to playing TX, TX A&M and Alabama each year …. OK will have to play visit Baton Rouge and Athens in order to make it to the playoffs.

Nick Saban’s recent critical comments about the Tide’s fans is most telling; I believe he recognizes the level of competition inside this expanded SEC is going to result in each member beating one another to the point where the National Title will be confined to the SEC Championship, and fans will ultimately turn on their coaches when they lose a game.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
I would say the last 72 hours have thrown ice cold water onto us with two types of reality. The tangible reality that we aren't remotely in UK's ballpark physically on either side of the football and the intangible reality that we aren't remotely in big time college football's upper echelon in resources. College football has become like Major League baseball, you either have the resources to both pay for high level talent and in the process buyout the deficient...or your the Reds or Pirates. We can't afford to buyout the deficient to start with...and unless the vault doors of Fort Knox fly open and drop bullion in the middle of Cardinal Stadium I don't see us affording to pay for the type of coach many crave.

The upper echelon of college football--the Big Ten and SEC with their own network deals, and the resource laden Southern Cal--sent a message in the last 48 hours.

• Wow
Reactions: Mayoman
I would say the last 72 hours have thrown ice cold water onto us with two types of reality. The tangible reality that we aren't remotely in UK's ballpark physically on either side of the football and the intangible reality that we aren't remotely in big time college football's upper echelon in resources. College football has become like Major League baseball, you either have the resources to both pay for high level talent and in the process buyout the deficient...or your the Reds or Pirates. We can't afford to buyout the deficient to start with...and unless the vault doors of Fort Knox fly open and drop bullion in the middle of Cardinal Stadium I don't see us affording to pay for the type of coach many crave.

The upper echelon of college football--the Big Ten and SEC with their own network deals, and the resource laden Southern Cal--sent a message in the last 48 hours.

^^^ Sad but true

Reactions: Mayoman

Yeah, that’s the sad aspect of where we are. The majority of our fan base is smart enough to know that CSS is not the answer but we don’t have the resources to do anything about it, so we stand pat. Sounds a lot like my beloved Orioles in baseball.

Yeah, that’s the sad aspect of where we are. The majority of our fan base is smart enough to know that CSS is not the answer but we don’t have the resources to do anything about it, so we stand pat. Sounds a lot like my beloved Orioles in baseball.
Also hurts when you give Miguel Tejada and Javy Lopez big contracts (some old baseball humor!)

I'm hoping ND goes hard after Fickell. I think he could take ND to the next level. I was shocked when I woke up to the news Kelly left ND for LSU. I was surprised ND didn't fight for him. I think ND was ok with the news because they know who they want as next coach. LSU who figured?

Also hurts when you give Miguel Tejada and Javy Lopez big contracts (some old baseball humor!)
That’s ancient news. They haven’t paid for a top player since Alex Cobb… Yeah, who the heck is that. The worse was Chris Davis. Hasn’t played meaningful baseball in 3-4 years and just now got him off the roster.

That’s ancient news. They haven’t paid for a top player since Alex Cobb… Yeah, who the heck is that. The worse was Chris Davis. Hasn’t played meaningful baseball in 3-4 years and just now got him off the roster.
Yeah I remember that Davis deal was pretty bad. I like Buck as you alls manager, he was a great mind.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT