ADVERTISEMENT

Current line: Cards 21.5 over WKU

Western Kentucky is not very good this year. Of the 44 players listed as CUSA offensive all conference by Phil Steele, WKU has one player (4th team tight end). Of the 48 defensive players he lists as CUSA defensive all conference, WKU has 3 players - one 3rd teamer and two 4th teamers. WKU also had the 4th team punter. Steele lists them as having the worst offensive line and 2nd worst defensive line in CUSA, and #126 in all of the FBS in terms of experience. Their best unit they have (defensive backfield) is rated 5th in CUSA.

If we have good weather, this UofL team should beat this WKU team by at least two TD's. A loss or a very narrow win against WKU would be scary in terms of what it would mean for the rest of this UofL football season.

Western Kentucky is not very good this year. Of the 44 players listed as CUSA offensive all conference by Phil Steele, WKU has one player (4th team tight end). Of the 48 defensive players he lists as CUSA defensive all conference, WKU has 3 players - one 3rd teamer and two 4th teamers. WKU also had the 4th team punter. Steele lists them as having the worst offensive line and 2nd worst defensive line in CUSA, and #126 in all of the FBS in terms of experience. Their best unit they have (defensive backfield) is rated 5th in CUSA.

If we have good weather, this UofL team should beat this WKU team by at least two TD's. A loss or a very narrow win against WKU would be scary in terms of what it would mean for the rest of this UofL football season.
Good post as usual PushupMan.

The secondary concerns me only because of how often they are put on a island. When the line fails to get pressure, those guys back in the secondary are stuck playing one on one in coverage. How good is the WKU QB this year?

Reactions: wilkie01
I think 21.5 is a little high as I was thinking more in the 17 point range. I am looking at this game as something to provide some true takeaways. Bama is Bama and last week was a cluster. We need to establish some type of running game with the 7 RB's on our roster and then balance the play calling appropriately.

Lastly, limit penalties and stop the dam run! Build off this game and get ready for ACC play vs VA and FSU. No reason we can't get things rolling and be sitting at 4-1!

Good post as usual PushupMan.

The secondary concerns me only because of how often they are put on a island. When the line fails to get pressure, those guys back in the secondary are stuck playing one on one in coverage. How good is the WKU QB this year?

The WKU QB (Drew Eckels) is very inexperienced: a senior, but also a first year starter. So far this year he's completing 57% of his passes, with 3 TDs and 0 INTs. Steele rates the WKU QB's as #9 out of 14 in CUSA as a unit. The WKU wide receivers are rated as the 6th best WR unit in CUSA, led by returning starter Lucky Jackson. Running back Garland LaFrance is also an often used target out of the backfield.

It's a pretty good (even) matchup: the ACC's 9th best defensive backfield against CUSA's 9th best QB and 6th best receivers.

Last edited:
the ACC's 9th best defensive backfield against CUSA's 9th best QB and 6th best receivers.
I'm hoping the ACC's 9th best defensive backfield is a lot better than the 9th best QB and 6th best receiving core in CUSA. Guess we'll find out Saturday night!!

To all in this discussion, you made very valid points. What concerns me most is, we are in year five of Bobby Ball 2.0 and worried about WKU. Honestly it seems like we may be going backwards as a program. We struggled with Indiana State and are worried about WKU. If we lose to UVA its going to be long season.

Reactions: Cue Card
To all in this discussion, you made very valid points. What concerns me most is, we are in year five of Bobby Ball 2.0 and worried about WKU. Honestly it seems like we may be going backwards as a program. We struggled with Indiana State and are worried about WKU. If we lose to UVA its going to be long season.
One at a time my friend. WKU is first and it's the Hilltoppers who will be fired up to play against a former coach and a in-state rival. We cannot afford to overlook them no matter what the spread is. They'll be ready to play, so we better be ready too.

With our inexperience at QB, I worry about every opponent on our schedule. The only time I do not seriously worry about every opponent on our schedule is when we have an upper class QB like Chris Redman, Brian Brohm, Teddy Bridgewater, or Lamar Jackson ... figuring that, at the very least, Bobby Petrino is simply going to outscore our opponent in this game.

This year is 2014 and 2015 all over again. It's going to be a struggle until a great QB emerges ... but Coach Petrino always seems to find one.

All I can recommend at this point in time is patience, realizing that this season could go anywhere at this point, but, most likely, given Coach Petrino's track record both at Louisville and Arkansas that it's going to end up on the plus side of .500.

Reactions: wilkie01
I'm hoping the ACC's 9th best defensive backfield is a lot better than the 9th best QB and 6th best receiving core in CUSA. Guess we'll find out Saturday night!!

My guess would be that they are pretty close to equal, but hopefully the ACC's 7th best DL and LB groups can dominate CUSA's 13th best offensive line and CUSA's all-conference 4th team tight end.....

I think 21.5 is a little high as I was thinking more in the 17 point range. I am looking at this game as something to provide some true takeaways. Bama is Bama and last week was a cluster. We need to establish some type of running game with the 7 RB's on our roster and then balance the play calling appropriately.

-21.5 seems way to high. I've seen the spread as high as -22. We have a few takeaways already. We will have more data to digest after the WKU game for sure.

WKU fan here: you guys are giving us way to much credit and/or being way too tough on UofL. You guys will be able to name the score on Saturday. We are absolutely terrible.

Two years ago when this series was announced, myself and many WKU fans were very excited. We knew you would lose Lamar Jackson and we were just coming off a Top 25 finish in the AP poll. Nobody knew that in two short years we would be the dumpster fire of FBS. A lot of WKU folks will make the game this Saturday, but exactly zero are expecting us to win or keep it close.

This could turn out ok, but then again it may end ugly. I hate to see what our record would have been without Lamar Jackson.

as of this post
The football God help me if I have to watch the game through my Xbox onr again this week. After every rain delay it took three to five minutes to catch to the live stream. It wad a good thing I could still listen to Paul on tune in.

WKU fan here: you guys are giving us way to much credit and/or being way too tough on UofL. You guys will be able to name the score on Saturday. We are absolutely terrible.

Two years ago when this series was announced, myself and many WKU fans were very excited. We knew you would lose Lamar Jackson and we were just coming off a Top 25 finish in the AP poll. Nobody knew that in two short years we would be the dumpster fire of FBS. A lot of WKU folks will make the game this Saturday, but exactly zero are expecting us to win or keep it close.

It just seems to me that you are a very young team (Steele says 126th out of 130 in experience), which means that the current coach, and since the current coach has only been there a little over one year, the previous one, has done a poor job of managing the roster and evening out the classes.

I do recall that Brohm took a lot of grad transfers from UofL during his three years as head man at Western Kentucky. Did that pipeline stop once the series between the two schools was announced?

It just seems to me that you are a very young team (Steele says 126th out of 130 in experience), which means that the current coach, and since the current coach has only been there a little over one year, the previous one, has done a poor job of managing the roster and evening out the classes.

I do recall that Brohm took a lot of grad transfers from UofL during his three years as head man at Western Kentucky. Did that pipeline stop once the series between the two schools was announced?

Brohm wasnt a good recruiter. Plugged a lot of holes with JUCOs and Grad Transfers which worked out well. I think he saw the writing on the wall and knew that he needed to leave WKU before all our talent was gone. Brohm is an offensive genius and I think he will end up in the NFL eventually. Don't have to recruit in the NFL!

What hurt us the most is Brohm poached a lot of WKU players and all our best recruits when he left. That hurt us more than the coach leaving. Left a bad taste in the mouth of WKU fans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT