ADVERTISEMENT

Culture

earsky

Four-Star Poster
Jan 12, 2010
So you hear the term culture thrown around a lot by coaches across the sports spectrum,professional and college alike. I've heard both of our newest coaches use the term. So what about this baseball program?

Have we gotten off the tracks a bit over here, forgotten that the team benefits when everyone is about the team goals?

Curious about what anybody thought about a perceived lack of leaders or did we just miss our turn in the circus that was 2020.

Remember, our current Sophomore class #3

Thoughts...

I'm referring to a culture that appears to be(for a lack of a good comparison in baseball) similar to what Cal had at UK. All the talent, but playing for the name on the back instead of winning championships.

It's hard to get talented guys together and have everyone playing for a common goal.
This is what I see our program has become, a bit like what Cal was going through,guys with one eye always on another goal. Just my 2 and I don't know how you fix it unless you go after different guys, our pitching woes excluded.🤷

I'm thinking we are trying to give Kilen way too much credit for our pitching woes, but I guess everyone loves a scapegoat. My thinking is that if he were that team disruptive, he wouldn't have gotten the playing time he was getting. I don't think any one player carries that much clout with Dan.

Reactions: earsky
Kilen earned every minute he got. He was great. I am not so sure we didn’t have the same guys before - heck, all if them want to make the pros.

Reactions: earsky
Kilen earned every minute he got. He was great. I am not so sure we didn’t have the same guys before - heck, all if them want to make the pros.
Yes they do,but if you're not playing (like most think they should or their handlers do) are you still a good teammate, are you a problem in the clubhouse?

This has more to do with years of what I've witnessed than just this season. It's about a culture that has grown to see individual rewards(the draft) become more the focus than winning it all. We haven't always been left out of The Dance but we've stubbed our toe plenty of times not focused on the real prize. Again, just my two.

Its been a pattern where our pitching talent declined significantly from what we enjoyed before Covid. Sean Moth commented early on, that failure to find strike zone resulted in constantly falling behind in count. Walks and Hit Batters were well beyond ACC acceptable levels.

It’s been a pattern where our pitching talent declined significantly from what we enjoyed before Covid. Sean Moth commented early on, that failure to find strike zone resulted in constantly falling behind in count. Walks and Hit Batters were well beyond ACC acceptable levels.
Nm

Its been a pattern where our pitching talent declined significantly from what we enjoyed before Covid. Sean Moth commented early on, that failure to find strike zone resulted in constantly falling behind in count. Walks and Hit Batters were well beyond ACC acceptable levels.
The question is why has the pitching talent declined? How do you go from putting multiple guys in the MLB to where they are since Covid? It is really puzzling. They haven’t lost many legit arms in the portal or due to NIL.

That tells me the staff has done a terrible job evaluating and developing HS pitchers. The other factor is hitters are older and better. They feast on young arms that are learning how to pitch at this level.

When they missed on guys they never got older and it just kept repeating itself. ACC hitters will eat up bad pitching.

Reactions: rh62531
I do not have a hint as to the answer; perhaps a direct “closed end question” to Dan and Roger would provide some indication.

I do not think the current administration is in sync with the current coaching staff. I've got more than a hunch on that. It has to make for some uncomfortable meetings about the program.

Baseball changes at the lower levels and the game becomes something else.

College baseball has seen a rise, this year the home runs, but this article I just read shows some of what's happened.

A lot of reasons can be the truth, but a lot of it is that with 5th and 6th year seniors the game is older than ever. College Baseball was filled with younger stars that went to the draft, the talent pool was not as big. Now the pool has grown. Also, teams are able to take in transfers and guys in bad situations can get some better coaching and development.

Now does it all change when the COVID years end? Or has the game changed at the lower levels on a permanent basis? I do think you'll see more power conference programs have older rosters, because they'll pick out older players from the mid-majors. That change is here to stay. But is it going to be as good with the talent pool shrinking?

• Wow
Reactions: Mayoman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT