ADVERTISEMENT

Could Jeff Brohm be the next HC at Kentucky?

I don't see it happening just because college coaching jobs are all about timing. But let's be realistic, if there were no other job offers and UK came calling with a lucrative offer, I don't think he could say no for his family's sake. Unless he had something personally against the administration there, it's a job and would be a step up to be in a P5 conference. Don't fool yourselves. See Kenny Payne...
Two enormous differences. First, Kentucky football and Kentucky basketball aren't comparable and second, Payne isn't comparable to Brohm.

I'm not comparing Payne and Brohm and don't pretend to know either one of these guys unless you're related. The point is a job is a job and opportunity. It's about security for your family not about misplaced loyalties that aren't related any more.

Maybe CRP would be a better comparison in reverse.

Jeff will get much better opportunities than LPT. Although I wouldn't mind seeing him thumb his nose at the slapd!cks and succeed Petrino here.

LPT Football: We'll take him anyway...
Yeah,I've known this family my whole life and I've never seen any Brohm wear blue except at St.Dennis.They prefer red;)

I'm thinking the job for Jeff Brohm would be Purdue. They have more of a tradition of playing winning football and are in the easier Western Division of the Big Ten.

Nice pick here PushUp ... I could see that happening. Purdue should be looking after this season, as they almost pulled the trigger last season.

I always thought Illinois would be interested in him. Jeff has been on that staff, and Illinois has shown they can have success, being in the Rose Bowl about a decade ago or so. But they replaced their HC last year, so that job won't be opening anytime soon.

I could also see Jeff go to Houston -- replacing Herman who replaces Kevin Sumlin at Texas A&M.

If Western has the year this year I think they will have, he will be a hot property for sure.

The reason no good coach--including Brohm--will go to LPT is simple... You can't win there. Has nothing to do with money or facilities or recruiting. A promising coach would rather coach where he can win and where others before him have won. LPT is a coaching graveyard.

LPT Football: But it's a nice looking graveyard...

If Western has a respectable showing against Alabama, he can go wherever he wants. I think he ends up in Baton Rouge.

Reactions: Cue Card
If Western has a respectable showing against Alabama, he can go wherever he wants. I think he ends up in Baton Rouge.
You are not alone in that line of thinking. Les Miles' offense has stunk for so long that LSU is going to look for a coach with great offensive mind. Who better than someone with bloodlines to both to Schnellenberger and Petrino and has proven himself as a HC? With the level of talent in the state alone, the defense will take care of itself with the hire of a good coordinator.

I think Brohm is an excellent coach but, if he ends up at LSU as the HC - it's because they whiffed on their first 4-5 choices.

Herman will be the guy everybody wants. After Herman, Brohm is as good and accomplished as any young coach out there. There are going to be a lot of better opportunities than Kentucky.

I think Brohm is an excellent coach but, if he ends up at LSU as the HC - it's because they whiffed on their first 4-5 choices.

Totally agree with this. The LSU fan base would revolt. They expect to be able to snag much more established coaches. Hell ... they probably would think that Bobby Petrino would be on their short list. They aren't looking to Western Kentucky for their replacement.

If LSU and Auburn open up, Petrino will be on their list. I don't think he would leave, but I would bet the farm that Jeff gets the call if he does.

If LSU and Auburn open up, Petrino will be on their list. I don't think he would leave, but I would bet the farm that Jeff gets the call if he does.

Yup...Herman and Petrino would definitely be on their short list...but the first call LSU would make would actually be to Jimbo Fisher...he wouldn't take it but they would make the call...

Is Uk even a step up from WKU right now? Yes its SEC but coaching for Uk essentially means coaching for at best a 4th place in the SEC east while at WKU you can compete every year. I don't think Brohm leaves WKU for the Uk's of the world. Bigger schools will come knocking for him

WKU Rivals site publisher here. I told the UK fans on their board when they brought this up the exact same thing. Which is that Brohm isn't all about the money and if/when he leaves WKU it will be for a destination job. He turned down interviews with Maryland, Virginia, Illinois, and a few others schools recently. He wants to build something at WKU.

One thing Schnellenberger told Jeff when he got the WKU job was not to jump at the first opportunities and that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. He also told Brohm to build something that could be his much like Howard did at UofL. Brohm has seen other coaches jump at the first P5 job to come calling only to be forced out 3-4 years later. He will make about $1.2 million in BG this year. Cost of living is not near as high in Bowling Green as other places around the country. A person can live extremely comfortable here on that type of income. I have heard that Brohm wants the UofL job eventually. He loves the state of Kentucky because its home to him.

Brohm may decide to stay at WKU until Petrino leaves town again. But if he does take another job it will be a team far better and in a better position to succeed then the UK, Purdue, Vandy, or Virginia's of the world.

Agreed. Brohm appears to be happy in BG, and I think he and his family like their proximity to Louisville...

WKU Rivals site publisher here. I told the UK fans on their board when they brought this up the exact same thing. Which is that Brohm isn't all about the money and if/when he leaves WKU it will be for a destination job. He turned down interviews with Maryland, Virginia, Illinois, and a few others schools recently. He wants to build something at WKU.

One thing Schnellenberger told Jeff when he got the WKU job was not to jump at the first opportunities and that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. He also told Brohm to build something that could be his much like Howard did at UofL. Brohm has seen other coaches jump at the first P5 job to come calling only to be forced out 3-4 years later. He will make about $1.2 million in BG this year. Cost of living is not near as high in Bowling Green as other places around the country. A person can live extremely comfortable here on that type of income. I have heard that Brohm wants the UofL job eventually. He loves the state of Kentucky because its home to him.

Brohm may decide to stay at WKU until Petrino leaves town again. But if he does take another job it will be a team far better and in a better position to succeed then the UK, Purdue, Vandy, or Virginia's of the world.

Shane, how are you buddy? Joe M., here. Good to see you here and I hope you continue to post. I sure do miss my friends in BG. Your family is awesome.

Reactions: SBeardenRivals
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT