ADVERTISEMENT

College Football Playoff

Somebody doesn't get eliminated pretty much every week. Clemson lost to Syracuse, not eliminated. Auburn lost to LSU and Clemson, not eliminated. Georgia lost to Auburn, not eliminated. Alabama lost to Auburn, not eliminated. Most of these teams didn't get eliminated until the final week.

My example doesn't emphasize your point. You are claiming teams have to be in elimination mode every week. Well, Auburn lost to Clemson in Week 2, not eliminated. They lost to LSU later in the year, still not eliminated. What you aren't factoring in is that games for teams like Southern Cal or Stanford still mean something with auto bids, which they didn't now.

There are 4 teams with one loss that did not get eliminated, and 1 power five team that had 1 loss that was eliminated.

Each team can point to losses throughout the year to explain why they are eliminated. Some of the games you mention in your post above that you claim didn't eliminate teams, are actually examples of why they were eliminated - because they had too many losses - and in this season, multiple losses = elimination.

After week 1 FSU and FLA were in elimination games rest of the year.
After week 2 tOSU and Auburn were added to elimination game pool.
After week 3 UofL was added to the elimination game pool.
After week 4 ND, Okie St, and LSU were added to the elimination game pool.
After week 5 Va Tech and Southern Cal were added to the elimination game pool.
After week 6 OU and Michigan were added to the elimination pool.
After week 7 Clemson and Washington were added to the elimination pool.

With every week, the # of teams in must win situations increased because they took their first loss, which made for more elimination games throughout the season.

Put another way, Clemson won 6 elimination games, Oklahoma won 8 elimination games.

I guess it just comes down to how you want to look at it, and what you find more exciting. If you prefer a larger playoff format with less elimination games ok. But a 4 game format generates a lot more must win games, and a lot sooner in the season than the final couple of weeks.

Reactions: Guardman
In a 16 team playoff, it should look like this:

1. ACC Champion
2. Big 10 Champion
3. Big 12 Champion
4. PAC 12 Champion
5. SEC Champion
6. American Champion
7. Mountain West Champion
8. Mid American Champion
9. Conference USA Champion
10. Sun Belt Champion
11-12 The six highest ranked teams not conference champions.

1. ACC Champion
2. Big 10 Champion
3. Big 12 Champion
4. PAC 12 Champion
5. SEC Champion
6. American Champion
8. Mid American Champion
10. Sun Belt Champion

The problem is that 'Wildcards' would always come from P5 schools, never G5 schools.
So certain SEC/Big10 teams would get a redux.

Reactions: American Male
There are 4 teams with one loss that did not get eliminated, and 1 power five team that had 1 loss that was eliminated.

Each team can point to losses throughout the year to explain why they are eliminated. Some of the games you mention in your post above that you claim didn't eliminate teams, are actually examples of why they were eliminated - because they had too many losses - and in this season, multiple losses = elimination.

After week 1 FSU and FLA were in elimination games rest of the year.
After week 2 tOSU and Auburn were added to elimination game pool.
After week 3 UofL was added to the elimination game pool.
After week 4 ND, Okie St, and LSU were added to the elimination game pool.
After week 5 Va Tech and Southern Cal were added to the elimination game pool.
After week 6 OU and Michigan were added to the elimination pool.
After week 7 Clemson and Washington were added to the elimination pool.

With every week, the # of teams in must win situations increased because they took their first loss, which made for more elimination games throughout the season.

Put another way, Clemson won 6 elimination games, Oklahoma won 8 elimination games.

I guess it just comes down to how you want to look at it, and what you find more exciting. If you prefer a larger playoff format with less elimination games ok. But a 4 game format generates a lot more must win games, and a lot sooner in the season than the final couple of weeks.

If you want to look at it that way, then you still have "elimination" games throughout the season. Let's take your examples of Florida St and Florida (and overlook the fact they had lousy years), in the context of an expanded playoff. Florida St loses to Alabama in week 1. They have 1 loss right off the bat. If they want to get an at large bid (and there would only be 3 in this scenario) they can't afford to keep losing. Now, they do have the conference bid avenue. However, they can't afford to keep losing games in conference either. They have Clemson looming over their shoulder, so they can't afford to lose conference games, because then they can't win the division, and thus can't get the auto bid.

Aside from that, you are getting too hung up on the word "elimination." You don't need a game to be an "elimination" for it to impact the playoff race. This idea that teams could just drop a bunch of games under any format just isn't true.

If you want to look at it that way, then you still have "elimination" games throughout the season. Let's take your examples of Florida St and Florida (and overlook the fact they had lousy years), in the context of an expanded playoff. Florida St loses to Alabama in week 1. They have 1 loss right off the bat. If they want to get an at large bid (and there would only be 3 in this scenario) they can't afford to keep losing. Now, they do have the conference bid avenue. However, they can't afford to keep losing games in conference either. They have Clemson looming over their shoulder, so they can't afford to lose conference games, because then they can't win the division, and thus can't get the auto bid.

Aside from that, you are getting too hung up on the word "elimination." You don't need a game to be an "elimination" for it to impact the playoff race. This idea that teams could just drop a bunch of games under any format just isn't true.

I gave you a fairly long list of good to great teams that faced elimination games pretty much throughout the year. They faced elimination due to a restriction of a 4 team playoff.

The 4 team playoff restriction allows less room for losses - and pretty much provides elimination games every week, since only 4 teams make the playoff and each had 1 loss this year. I mean it's just a fact there's really no reason to argue this.

You are hung up on arguing a casual statement for pretty much no reason.

I gave you a fairly long list of good to great teams that faced elimination games pretty much throughout the year. They faced elimination due to a restriction of a 4 team playoff.

The 4 team playoff restriction allows less room for losses - and pretty much provides elimination games every week, since only 4 teams make the playoff and each had 1 loss this year. I mean it's just a fact there's really no reason to argue this.

You are hung up on arguing a casual statement for pretty much no reason.

What I'm telling you is, having "elimination" games is not as big of a deal as you think it is.

What I'm telling you is, having "elimination" games is not as big of a deal as you think it is.

I never said having elimination games on a weekly basis was a big deal. I said elimination games exist on a weekly basis and I casually prefer it that way as opposed to seeing an expanded playoff where 3/4 loss teams make it the playoffs.

The only thing you're convincing me of is all the other posters did the right thing by ignoring your posts.

I never said having elimination games on a weekly basis was a big deal. I said elimination games exist on a weekly basis and I casually prefer it that way as opposed to seeing an expanded playoff where 3/4 loss teams make it the playoffs.

The only thing you're convincing me of is all the other posters did the right thing by ignoring your posts.

And as I pointed out to you, a similar situation regarding elimination games exists regardless. Rarely would you be able to get a 3/4 loss team into the playoffs. And as I pointed out, every week is not an elimination game now, see Clemson/Syracuse, Georgia/Auburn, Oklahoma/Iowa St., Alabama/Auburn, Ohio St/Iowa, Auburn/LSU, etc.

I also casually pointed out that the elimination factor doesn't exist exactly the way you think it does, and would also exist in other formats. If that sets you off, you will have a difficult time with life in general.

1. ACC Champion
2. Big 10 Champion
3. Big 12 Champion
4. PAC 12 Champion
5. SEC Champion
6. American Champion
8. Mid American Champion
10. Sun Belt Champion
This is exactly right, except we need objective criteria the rank and seed teams- no more opinions or committees! Can you imagine the NFL using a committee to determine playoff participants and seed? Not even Roger Goodell is that stupid.

This is exactly right, except we need objective criteria the rank and seed teams- no more opinions or committees! Can you imagine the NFL using a committee to determine playoff participants and seed? Not even Roger Goodell is that stupid.
No but the AFC East is a joke right now with KC leading the conference at 6-6. NFL records and conference champions are also subject to schedules.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT