ADVERTISEMENT

College Football Playoff

Thecycle27

Three-Star Poster
Sep 17, 2017
I think the committee has a much easier job than what the media is reporting. Alabama is in over Ohio State. You can't lose like OSU did at Iowa.

I think the playoff is great but it is creating a monster problem for all the programs out of the playoff picture. The main problem for the universities is what happens when your team is eliminated from the playoffs? The first thing that occurs is attendance at those schools immediately decreases. The fanbase attention turns to other things. You see empty seats at every program. On a local level this was by far the worst attendance year I can remember at Louisville. That is with maybe the most exciting player to every play at the school. UK was having a tremendous season, but once they lost to Florida fans checked out. They didn't even sell out at their rival with a chance to win 8 games which they haven't done in 20 or so years. This trend is only going to get worse. Every season there are only going to be 6-8 teams out of 120 with a legit shot at the playoff. Of that 6-8 teams 2-4 are the same teams every year. Bottom line the odds are against your team.

Eventually, all the following things will decline ticket sales, sponsorships, and donations. It is going to be a nightmare for AD's to manage. Who knows what will happen to donation revenue with new tax bill that is being negotiated in D.C.

I have always been in favor of 8 team playoff but now I am wondering if it should be 16. Let the power 5 have both their division winners and 6 at large. They are going to have to find a way to keep fanbases engaged for a longer part of the season. What happened this year attendance wise isn't a fade it is a trend. While basketball is a different animal it was structured, probably for the same reasons, like football in the early days.

The only issue I have with Alabama getting in is they didn't make their own conference championship game. Same thing happened last year when Ohio State got in in spite of not making the B10 title game.

There needs to be some type of clarity regarding that scenario. Why have a conference championship game if it's going to end up costing one of the teams who play in it?

The only issue I have with Alabama getting in is they didn't make their own conference championship game. Same thing happened last year when Ohio State got in in spite of not making the B10 title game.

There needs to be some type of clarity regarding that scenario. Why have a conference championship game if it's going to end up costing one of the teams who play in it?

If Alabama gets in the playoffs then the committee is showing everyone that the conference championship game is a complete joke to even have. Alabama should not be in the playoffs. Being a conference champion should matter over a team who didn't even make the conference championship game.

This is what happens when you have
  1. Too small a sample size (4 teams out of 120)
  2. The playoff participants decided by opinions (a dumb committee)
The current setup was designed to protect the bowl games, which really do nothing other than extend tradition. They are sort of like the NIT in basketball. Important once, less and less meaningful as time goes by.
The current “playoff” is so stupid you’d think Roger Goodell came up with it. Whoever wins this fiasco will still be a “mythical “ national champion in my mind.
If we are going to continue with 120 div 1 teams, then all 10 conference champs should get an auto bid. Then there should by a systematic way of determining and seeding the other 6 participants. No committees, no “eye test”, “resume”, “body of work”....in other words, no more opinions!
Will it ever happen? Who knows? But I do know this- the NCAA does alot of stupid stuff, and they are corrupt as hell, but they do know how to run a tournament. Every other college sport and every other level of football has an NCAA tournament to determine their NC. Maybe it’s time to call Indianapolis.

I think the committee has a much easier job than what the media is reporting. Alabama is in over Ohio State. You can't lose like OSU did at Iowa.

I think the playoff is great but it is creating a monster problem for all the programs out of the playoff picture. The main problem for the universities is what happens when your team is eliminated from the playoffs? The first thing that occurs is attendance at those schools immediately decreases. The fanbase attention turns to other things. You see empty seats at every program. On a local level this was by far the worst attendance year I can remember at Louisville. That is with maybe the most exciting player to every play at the school. UK was having a tremendous season, but once they lost to Florida fans checked out. They didn't even sell out at their rival with a chance to win 8 games which they haven't done in 20 or so years. This trend is only going to get worse. Every season there are only going to be 6-8 teams out of 120 with a legit shot at the playoff. Of that 6-8 teams 2-4 are the same teams every year. Bottom line the odds are against your team.

Eventually, all the following things will decline ticket sales, sponsorships, and donations. It is going to be a nightmare for AD's to manage. Who knows what will happen to donation revenue with new tax bill that is being negotiated in D.C.

I have always been in favor of 8 team playoff but now I am wondering if it should be 16. Let the power 5 have both their division winners and 6 at large. They are going to have to find a way to keep fanbases engaged for a longer part of the season. What happened this year attendance wise isn't a fade it is a trend. While basketball is a different animal it was structured, probably for the same reasons, like football in the early days.

Although there is validity to your point, I think a bigger part is the cost of attending games at the Florida and some of those large FB schools. Plus you can get a nice smart TV for a good price. So lots of people are choosing to stay home.

We’re not a good indication of a national trend. I think our issues are fatigue from all the NCAA issues, a backlash to the firing of TJ, and the appointment of a very unpopular BOT. Some people decided to protest by not showing up. You’re seeing the same thing at the YUM.

I think the further we get away from the NCAA stuff our fan base will return to normal. Although the BOT can still screw that up, which could be by design.

This whole damn problem can be solved by using the Traditional New Years Day Bowls and Conference Tie-Ins as the playoffs!!!

Cotton Bowl - Big-12 Champ vs At Large!!!

Orange Bowl - ACC Champ vs At Large!!!

Sugar Bowl - SEC Champ vs At Large!!!

Rose Bowl - Big Champ vs PAC Champ!!!

Fiesta Bowl gets the Cotton/Rose Bowl Winners in one semi final...

Peach Bowl gets the Orange/Sugar Bowl winners in the other semi final...

Fiesat/Peach Bowl Winners play for title at Jerry's World!!!

It's sooooooo #UC#ING SIMPLE!!!

:cool:

This whole damn problem can be solved by using the Traditional New Years Day Bowls and Conference Tie-Ins as the playoffs!!!

Cotton Bowl - Big-12 Champ vs At Large!!!

Orange Bowl - ACC Champ vs At Large!!!

Sugar Bowl - SEC Champ vs At Large!!!

Rose Bowl - Big Champ vs PAC Champ!!!

Fiesta Bowl gets the Cotton/Rose Bowl Winners in one semi final...

Peach Bowl gets the Orange/Sugar Bowl winners in the other semi final...

Fiesat/Peach Bowl Winners play for title at Jerry's World!!!

It's sooooooo #UC#ING SIMPLE!!!

Exactly. The 8 team playoff has always been the answer. All 5 power conference champs get in along with 3 deserving at-large teams.

Sure, there will be some grumblings about who should get the 3 at-large bids but no more teams that win a power conference Championship getting left out due to someone’s opinion about the strength of that particular conference.

They tell us how important these Conference title games are but in the end, winning them doesn’t guarantee you anything but a smaller trophy.

The 8 team playoff has always been the answer. All 5 power conference champs get in along with 3 deserving at-large teams.
It's the only viable solution. The only thing I would add is the 3 at-large teams chosen by the committee need CLEAR guidelines of what the criteria actually is without subjectivity. That makes it as unbiased as possible.

The current playoff is just the BcS squared.
Theyre still selecting teams.

A simple proposal of contracting teams could resolve this.

Division 1A should go to 80 teams
8 conferences
Conference winners ONLY to an 8 team playoffs.

ACC/Big10/SEC/Big East
Pac10/SWC/Big8/WAC

Well the committee has chosen Alabama over the Big 10 conference champions. Second year in a row where the Power 5 conference champions were left out.

This has to get fixed. It's just not right.

Saw this reply on another site:

Trying to figure out what was argument for 'Bama in that room. "Our best win was against a 3 loss team we beat by 14 who lost to Troy. Our second best win we beat Miss St w 25 seconds left. We lost to a 3 loss Auburn team....so put us in"

Sounds legit. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: American Male
It is a better process than before but it still is incredibly flawed. At the end of the day this is a very exclusive club and process. Alabama beat a 3 loss LSU and a 4 loss Mississippi St that isn't that impressive. They are the only a few programs that could get away with that kind of resume.

They reality this system will produce the same teams year in year out because they are the only ones that can build the depth needed to compete at this level.

Well the committee has chosen Alabama over the Big 10 conference champions. Second year in a row where the Power 5 conference champions were left out.

This has to get fixed. It's just not right.

Saw this reply on another site:

Trying to figure out what was argument for 'Bama in that room. "Our best win was against a 3 loss team we beat by 14 who lost to Troy. Our second best win we beat Miss St w 25 seconds left. We lost to a 3 loss Auburn team....so put us in"

Sounds legit. LOL
Yep. The committee just put a team (Alabama) that finished 3rd in their own Conference in the 4 team playoff.

You can argue that they are one of the 4 best teams, just don’t do it while saying that Conference standings mean a damn thing.

I think the committee got it right. I think the committee returned the favor by having Bama there even though they weren't the conference champion and it's a safe one b/c Ohio State cannot complain about it. Putting Bama in, OSU out, balances that equation historically and I think going forward being the conference champion will be an unwritten criteria. Or at least being in the conference championship game will be.

Yep. The committee just put a team (Alabama) that finished 3rd in their own Conference in the 4 team playoff.

You can argue that they are one of the 4 best teams, just don’t do it while saying that Conference standings mean a damn thing.

Bama always will get in.
If they expand it to 8, they'll make it every year.

Reactions: Cue Card
I have posted on this elsewhere, but if there are 120 d1 teams, need 16 in a playoff with 10 conference champs, 6 at-large selected in a systematic way. No committees, no opinions!

The Alabamas and Georgias of the world want no part of UCF. They want to be able to exclude them based on brand snob appeal only. We also need playoff games to be home games for the higher seeded teams, with conference champs always being seeded higher than non champs. I’d love to see Alabama at Camp Randall in December. For that matter, I’d love to see Alabama at Toledo in December.

Reactions: arizan

8 conferences

ACC/Big10/SEC/Big East
Pac10/SWC/Big8/WAC

Replace the Big East with the AAC and you’re good. Big East doesn’t have FB

Replace the Big East with the AAC and you’re good. Big East doesn’t have FB

In contraction and realignment Penn State leaves the Big 10
The Big East would consist of ;

Louisville
Penn State
Notre Dame
WV
VT
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
Cincinnati
BC

The Big East would consist of :

Louisville
Penn State
Notre Dame
WV
VT
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
Cincinnati
BC

I'd like to go back to Eight 10 team conferences, but I'd set them up this way:

AAC/CUSA
Central Florida, Cincinnati, East Carolina, Louisville, Memphis, Miami, Navy, South Carolina, South Florida, Southern Miss

ACC
Clemson, Duke, Florid State, Georgia Tech, Maryland, North Carolina, North Caarolina State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest

Big Ten
Illinois, Indian, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Northwestern, Ohio State, Purdue, Wisconsin

Big East
Army, Boston College, Connecticut, Notre Dame, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Syracuse, Temple, West Virginia

Great Plains
Arkansas, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas A&M

MWC
Air Force, Baylor, Boise State, BYU, Colorado, Colorado State, San Diego State, TCU, Texas Tech, Utah

PAC
Arizona, Arizona State, California, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington, Washington State

SEC
Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

Everyone is D2/FCS

Louisville
Penn State
Notre Dame
WV
VT
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
Cincinnati
BC

AAC/CUSA
Central Florida, Cincinnati, East Carolina, Louisville, Memphis, Miami, Navy, South Carolina, South Florida, Southern Miss

ACC
Clemson, Duke, Florid State, Georgia Tech, Maryland, North Carolina, North Caarolina State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest

Big Ten
Illinois, Indian, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Northwestern, Ohio State, Purdue, Wisconsin

Big East
Army, Boston College, Connecticut, Notre Dame, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Syracuse, Temple, West Virginia

Great Plains
Arkansas, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas A&M

MWC
Air Force, Baylor, Boise State, BYU, Colorado, Colorado State, San Diego State, TCU, Texas Tech, Utah

PAC
Arizona, Arizona State, California, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington, Washington State

SEC
Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

Everyone is D2/FCS

Yuck

Louisville
Penn State
Notre Dame
WV
VT
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
Cincinnati
BC

AAC/CUSA

ACC

Big Ten

Big East

Great Plains

MWC

PAC

SEC

Everyone is D2/FCS

There’s not one team in that AAC/CUSA teams I would ever care to play on a regular basis. As a matter of fact I would give up my season tickets.

I’d pay to see Miami and USCjr.

No diff in that and CUSA/BE.

Gear up for one or two big games, and get ready for the PO’s.

It would be one of the easiest ways to make the POs IMO.

Regarding the attendance issue, it's always been like that. Even with old days with the polls, you were out of the running after you lost a game or two. The motivation factor (or lack thereof) has always been there.

Conference champions have never been guaranteed. What they have said is, they give precedence to conference champions, which usually happens unless other teams have a better record.

The current setup was designed to protect the bowl games, which really do nothing other than extend tradition.

Every setup has been designed to protect the bowl games. That's been the underlying flaw of college football going on 100+ years now.

They haven't said that.

Exactly. The 8 team playoff has always been the answer. All 5 power conference champs get in along with 3 deserving at-large teams.

Sure, there will be some grumblings about who should get the 3 at-large bids but no more teams that win a power conference Championship getting left out due to someone’s opinion about the strength of that particular conference.

They tell us how important these Conference title games are but in the end, winning them doesn’t guarantee you anything but a smaller trophy.
What happens when you get 4 SEC schools, 2 BIG 10 teams and 2 ACC schools. If you let at large schools in, then you never know if you are getting the best 8 or are you trying to get the best 5 from each of the power 5 + 3 at large. No system is going to be perfect.

There can be no perfect system because this is FB. The game with ten times the injuries of other sports.

This PO could be the perfect matchup's, and the Bama QB falls funny in practice. Or get knocked on the first series against CU. At that point it is no longer the perfect PO set up.

I know, it's part of the game. But when the star is out, and the #4 seed wins it all...were they really the best?

So we'll just have to watch and argue.

As always. :D

* And the more teams in it, the bigger the chance of key players being knocked out.

What happens when you get 4 SEC schools, 2 BIG 10 teams and 2 ACC schools. If you let at large schools in, then you never know if you are getting the best 8 or are you trying to get the best 5 from each of the power 5 + 3 at large. No system is going to be perfect.
No system is perfect but are you saying that the current system that always excludes at least 1 Conference Champion is better than the 8 team or 6 team playoff format?

The Power 5 Championships should mean a birth in a playoff to possibly win a National Championship. That’s just my opinion obviously. But that only seems right since they formed the Power 5 conferences to basically exclude the so called weaker conferences from the big party.

If you are worried about 5 Conference Champions and 3 At-large SEC teams in, then make a rule that you cannot finish worse than 2nd in your Conference to make the playoff and/or have to exclude at least one team that best represents the non-power 5 and independents.

How juicy would this playoff look this year?
1st round:
#1 Clemson vs #8 USC
#2 Oklahoma vs #7 Auburn
#3 Georgia vs #6 Wisconsin
#4 Alabama vs #5 Ohio State

8 conferences

ACC/Big10/SEC/Big East
Pac10/SWC/Big8/WAC
That also would be an improvement.

No system is perfect but are you saying that the current system that always excludes at least 1 Conference Champion is better than the 8 team or 6 team playoff format?

The Power 5 Championships should mean a birth in a playoff to possibly win a National Championship. That’s just my opinion obviously. But that only seems right since they formed the Power 5 conferences to basically exclude the so called weaker conferences from the big party.

If you are worried about 5 Conference Champions and 3 At-large SEC teams in, then make a rule that you cannot finish worse than 2nd in your Conference to make the playoff and/or have to exclude at least one team that best represents the non-power 5 and independents.

How juicy would this playoff look this year?
1st round:
#1 Clemson vs #8 USC
#2 Oklahoma vs #7 Auburn
#3 Georgia vs #6 Wisconsin
#4 Alabama vs #5 Ohio State
I would argue that except the Alabama vs Ohio State game, the other games are meaningless and increase the opportunities for someone to get hurt. Just for kicks, let’s say The QB of Clemson gets hurt against a 8th rank team like USC. Somehow USC ends up playing Auburn. TV would tank. Conference championships don’t mean crap any more because you don’t play every team. So you can end up with a conference championship just because the teams you played this year were down. But some teams like Alabama/auburn and Mich/OSU play each other year in year out. It’s not equal across the board.

I would argue that except the Alabama vs Ohio State game, the other games are meaningless and increase the opportunities for someone to get hurt. Just for kicks, let’s say The QB of Clemson gets hurt against a 8th rank team like USC. Somehow USC ends up playing Auburn. TV would tank. Conference championships don’t mean crap any more because you don’t play every team. So you can end up with a conference championship just because the teams you played this year were down. But some teams like Alabama/auburn and Mich/OSU play each other year in year out. It’s not equal across the board.

Oklahoma vs Auburn in a Quarter Final game meaningless? That would pit the Heisman Trophy winner against one of the nastiest defenses in college football. Would be cant miss TV.

I’m with you on the imperfections and imbalances of College Football but if we are now worried about a College Playoff team’s QB getting hurt because he has to play one extra game in pursuit of a National Championship then we might as well just end College football as we know it.

Maybe Baker Mayfield ought to tell his coaches at OU not to call any QB runs in the semi-final game.

A potential problem with expanding the size of the playoffs is you could see coaches resting players the last game of the season - which happens to be rivalry games. Not only resting a QB, but multiple players.

Also not sure you want the regular season diminished. I like the idea of teams playing every week as if it's an elimination game.

Reactions: Mayoman
Every week isn't an elimination now. It took 3 losses to eliminate Auburn.

Somebody gets eliminated every week with the current format. With a 4 team playoff teams are in elimination mode pretty much every week.

And your example also emphasizes my point. If the playoffs were moved to 8 teams, Auburn would not be eliminated with 3 losses. Move it to 12, or 16 teams, and the games become even less meaningful throughout the season, and a few 4 loss teams get in some years.

Somebody gets eliminated every week with the current format. With a 4 team playoff teams are in elimination mode pretty much every week.

And your example also emphasizes my point. If the playoffs were moved to 8 teams, Auburn would not be eliminated with 3 losses. Move it to 12, or 16 teams, and the games become even less meaningful throughout the season, and a few 4 loss teams get in some years.

Somebody doesn't get eliminated pretty much every week. Clemson lost to Syracuse, not eliminated. Auburn lost to LSU and Clemson, not eliminated. Georgia lost to Auburn, not eliminated. Alabama lost to Auburn, not eliminated. Most of these teams didn't get eliminated until the final week.

My example doesn't emphasize your point. You are claiming teams have to be in elimination mode every week. Well, Auburn lost to Clemson in Week 2, not eliminated. They lost to LSU later in the year, still not eliminated. What you aren't factoring in is that games for teams like Southern Cal or Stanford still mean something with auto bids, which they didn't now.

There’s not one team in that AAC/CUSA teams I would ever care to play on a regular basis. As a matter of fact I would give up my season tickets.

So...Give up your tickets Mr. Arrogant...Three Florida Teams with HUGH Metro Areas...That's where The Cards do their BEST Recruiting...Cincinnati, East Carolina, Memphis, South Carolina and Southern Miss...Former Rivals...I guess SOME think that Louisville is Now BETTER than those others...Too Bad...Navy...Tradition...Winning the conference would be easier!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT