ADVERTISEMENT

Cochran to Power Forward Watch List

Sonja

Jun 20, 2001
Louisville
www.cardinalcouple.com
The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame and the Women's Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) announced that University of Louisville women's basketball junior forward Olivia Cochran is one of 20 watch list candidates for the 2023 Katrina McClain Award. Named after the two-time All-American and 1987 National Player of the Year, the annual award recognizes the top power forwards in women's NCAA Division I college basketball.

Cochran enters her junior season at Louisville and she is one of the most experienced returners from the 2021-22 Final Four team. She is one of two players returning that started over 30 games last season and is the team's leading rebounder returning. She averaged 8.6 points and 5.1 rebounds last season.

This is the second-straight season "OC" has been named to the McClain Award Watch List.

Louisville is one of three teams to have a player named to each of the four positional watch lists so far this season. Chrislyn Carr was named to the Lieberman Award Watch List, Hailey Van Lith was named to the Ann Meyers Drysdale Award Watch List and Morgan Jones was named to the Cheryl Miller Award Watch List.

--sonja--

Reactions: Deeva
Olivia has been pretty darn consistent during her first two years. I’d love to see her take it to the next level and just become a wrecking ball in the paint.

Olivia has been pretty darn consistent during her first two years. I’d love to see her take it to the next level and just become a wrecking ball in the paint.
She's supposedly has a improved perimeter game that she plans on employing this season. Newcomers are preparing to be that wrecking ball in the paint.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
She's supposedly has a improved perimeter game that she plans on employing this season. Newcomers are preparing to be that wrecking ball in the paint.
That would be nice as well. In order to play at the next level she must be able to hit the mid-range jumper. Yet, she looks like a power forward, has the body for a power forward and has the mentality to be that sort of player in the paint. No feason she should not average 5-6 rebounds/game and score 10-12/game.

Her problem down low is she just doesn't jump very well. She takes a lot of flat footed close in shots. She's shown some post moves but when she shoots, she's barely off the ground.

I remember her shooting some 3's late in the season and was surprised with her form. She's probably been shooting a lot of 3's in the off season getting ready to showcase it this season.

I think Olivia’s problem is her short arms. Dry short for a young lady with her size… I expect to see her take a huge jump this season. She’s faces some heavy competition her first two years….. this team is primed for a serious run at the ship…..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT