ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching

Rhino1973

Getting the Hang of It
Jul 24, 2019
Coaching is an art form and the great ones understand change is inevitable. Just curious what would the outcome have been if say Nick Saban coached Louisville last season with the exact same players. Or Meyer, or Dabo. How different would the results really have been? My reason for the question is what exactly was our talent level last season? I have always believed last seasons nosedive had more to do with the coaching staffs incompetence and lack of commitment than lack of team talent. We had a below average team by our standards but what we saw last year was a coaching staff no longer invested in the teams long term success. It was obvious and sickening. Personally I believe that if you had the same team with an Urban Meyer coaching we would see 8 wins.

Coaching is an art form and the great ones understand change is inevitable. Just curious what would the outcome have been if say Nick Saban coached Louisville last season with the exact same players. Or Meyer, or Dabo. How different would the results really have been? My reason for the question is what exactly was our talent level last season? I have always believed last seasons nosedive had more to do with the coaching staffs incompetence and lack of commitment than lack of team talent. We had a below average team by our standards but what we saw last year was a coaching staff no longer invested in the teams long term success. It was obvious and sickening. Personally I believe that if you had the same team with an Urban Meyer coaching we would see 8 wins.
THAT...is the million dollar question I think we are ALL asking ourselves. Of course, UofL fans are hoping the talent was/is there, and it was just a team and coaching staff that quit on each other. We will find out soon enough now.

Reactions: gocds and PHCARD
This is the problem.

If Saban were coaching here he WOULD have our players.

Even he couldn’t recruit here like he does at Bama.

He couldn’t recruit like that at Mich St or LSU. So no way he, or anybody else, will recruit here like they would at Bama.

But, last year’s results would have been better IMO.

Hell, Wildcard and Gocds May have done better. :p

This is the problem.

If Saban were coaching here he WOULD have our players.

Even he couldn’t recruit here like he does at Bama.

He couldn’t recruit like that at Mich St or LSU. So no way he, or anybody else, will recruit here like they would at Bama.

But, last year’s results would have been better IMO.

Hell, Wildcard and Gocds May have done better. :p

WTH even Ron Cooper went to Michigan State and beat Nick Saban!! OH and I’d even give WildCard whichever half of the team he wanted and I’d take the other. Just because I know I’d be better than that old fart. :p:D

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Nick Saban is a great coach and I say this with all due respect, but no way in hades he wins 8 games with Louisville's roster last season. Coaches are important, especially when it comes to recruiting. What is the saying, it's not the X's and O's, it's the Jimmy's and Joe's 4 maybe 5

Might be hard to compare unless you throw in the following variables:
  • A board of trustees that has made it public knowledge they want the HC out.
  • The AD that hired you and had your back gets fired.
  • You have a contract that will pay you $14 million if you can manage to get fired without cause and you know you are toast after the season regardless.
Not defending Petrino at all here. Most of the issues he had were of his own doing.

Well, we're leaving out a certain dynamic. Let's say Saban had a damaged reputation, and his lone supporter, his boss, was removed from the university. The new administration wants to clean up the university's image, and being that "Saban" is not a particularly good person, he essentially quits doing his job, as a result of feeling lack of support. His lack of motivation was also inspired by a $14M buyout. The program then falls completely apart, as the culture turned into "we just don't care anymore." So, if Saban or Meyer had those same circumstances, we'd likely see the same results.

Nick Saban is a great coach and I say this with all due respect, but no way in hades he wins 8 games with Louisville's roster last season. Coaches are important, especially when it comes to recruiting. What is the saying, it's not the X's and O's, it's the Jimmy's and Joe's 4 maybe 5

It's a giant misnomer, and it makes people look like they don't know what they are talking about, when it is said the 2018 UofL football team lacked talent. Petrino's recruiting classes were always well ranked. In fact, he had some of the highest ranked classes in school history. Petrino's flaw was that he over-recruited certain positions. Last year the problem was 100% coaching. Petrino intentionally tanked.

Reactions: PHCARD
Reminds me of the arguments we have had with UK fans over the years. If Louisville was in the SEC....blah, blah, blha. If UK was in C-USA/Big East....yadda, yadda, yadda. All arguments made my people with PhDs in false equivalence.

He would
  • You have a contract that will pay you $14 million if you can manage to get fired without cause and you know you are toast after the season regardless.
Not defending Petrino at all here. Most of the issues he had were of his own doing.
that makes a strong case

I think it is real simple Petrino he had to have good assistants. When he did his teams were really good. The problem the 2nd go around he couldn’t maintain his staff. It was a revolving door. That turnover led to disfunction.

Staff continuity is critical at a place like Louisville. The warning signs were there we just ignored them as a coaches move. People don’t leave jobs they leave people. His assistants were taking lateral moves. They didn’t want to work for him.

People run to work for Saban and Swinney.

I think it is real simple Petrino he had to have good assistants. When he did his teams were really good. The problem the 2nd go around he couldn’t maintain his staff. It was a revolving door. That turnover led to disfunction.

Staff continuity is critical at a place like Louisville. The warning signs were there we just ignored them as a coaches move. People don’t leave jobs they leave people. His assistants were taking lateral moves. They didn’t want to work for him.

People run to work for Saban and Swinney.

Staff continuity is a rarity. It’s just the nature of the business. Assistants may be running to work for Saban, but it’s because others are constantly leaving.

They aren’t leaving Saban or Swinney for lateral moves. They are taking head coaching jobs. That is different than Grantham, Buckley, McGee and even Dennison leaving for the same position at another school.

These type of conversations are always tricky. People wondered how good Phil Jackson would have been without Jordan or Kobe.

I do think just about any coach could have done better for UofL last year, but that being for the one year window. It's just really hard to say.

In sports when losing and/or winning snowball, it can get out of control real quick!

Reactions: Hoosier1fan
I agree if you expand "own doing" to recruiting the players we have/had, which he obviously did as head coach. Your points are spot on, and the situation is more complex than one issue like coaching or players. Fans just wanna simplify it.

If Satterfield comes in and wins 5-6 games with the team he inherited, however, you can lay most of last year's issues at the feet of coaching itself...

These type of conversations are always tricky. People wondered how good Phil Jackson would have been without Jordan or Kobe.

I do think just about any coach could have done better for UofL last year, but that being for the one year window. It's just really hard to say.

In sports when losing and/or winning snowball, it can get out of control real quick!
Exactly! If you take 2 or 3 really good players away from Saban he is going to feel it

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT