ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Staff

rentalman

6000+
Dec 4, 2002
My question is, are we hiring the best people.

Last winter BP made a few moves on his staff that seemed odd. He did not renew the contracts of Lamar Thomas(who recruited LJ by the way) and Safeties Coach Greg Brown. There were various stories conveniently floating around that these guys did not like working the hours BP demanded etc. And Terrell Buckley decided to leave for Mississippi State and Garrick McGee for Illinois.

Galloway replaced Thomas and Heyward replaced Buckley. For the sake of argument lets say that's a push. Some would argue Galloway better than Thomas and I give Buckley the edge over Heyward.

Garrick McGee, a very experienced QB Coach, who many on this board did not like, is replaced by Nick Petrino. Frankly I found that very disturbing. I realize Nick has been with his dad, knows the system etc., but how many guys his age first fulltime coaching job is at a Power 5 school. Petrino's son in law is on the staff too. How many Power 5 staffs have two family members of the HC. Not sure but I bet its not many.

Greg Brown is replaced by Cort Dennison, a young coach who I know was with Petrino at WKU and is highly thought of by BP. He also was an outstanding LB at Washington in his playing days. Brown was a respected veteran safeties coach who had been a DC also at the collegiate level. In 2014 our safeties played great football. 2015 with two new starters in place the level of play dropped but improved as the season progressed. To me, Brown seemed to be doing a good job.

And lets not forget, Tony Grantham, Todd's brother is on the defensive staff. Tony was a experienced coach with lots of collegiate experience.

Its a family affair, its a family affair. Sorry, back the post.

I bring all of this up because after conference play began there were several games we did not look like a well coached team.

All of the people I mentioned that were added to the staff may be outstanding coaches. But with the relationships you have to wonder if we got the best people we could have gotten.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News