ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches UsucKs won't get.

UofLouisville

Two-Star Poster
Feb 18, 2023
Drew - If everything he said is true, why would he then uproot his kids and take them to deliverance country? He will get eaten alive and family scarred for life.

Oats - If power conferences are going to be a thing then the low hanging fruit will be discarded, that will include the scholars to the east. Why leave a sure thing?

Donovan - lol. He's smarter than your average cow-pie. No way.

Wright - Retired and happy. Inbreds and call-in shows do not equal happy.

Hurley - Again, lol. UCONN more successful than the Kraps the last 40 years.

Other SEC schools will match UK if they try to poach their coach, Auburn. See mega conference jettison above.

Daunting task for Brainfard. Good luck hicks, your gonna need it.

The delusion is stronger than normal on raftards currently. They seem to fall into a few camps.

1. Completely in denial. This is the best job ever and the coaches that have said “no”? They haven’t been contacted so they’re just posturing until they get the call.

2. Jilted suitors. This is the best job ever and anyone who has said no, either hasn’t been contacted and is trying to put themselves into the mix or, uk would never want / think about offering them because they’re not good enough.

They are truly the dog that caught the car.

If I was Drew I absolutely pass. They just ran out a guy that gave them a legit shot every year. He was a 2 seed and a 3 seed. The reason things got ugly was because of March. The regular season to that fanbase means nothing. It means nothing but the coach gets roasted for every loss and zero credit for any win. He doesn’t get any of that at Baylor. As much as he likes Mitch, Mitch can’t save him from that madness.

With that said Drew would win there but I think the SEC is just getting better and better. Winning is going to be harder and harder for them.

If Drew passes the meltdown will be in full effect. Donovan would be the only guy to save Mitch.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
they most likely will be in the same panic our fans for some reason just went thru. why would drew leave, period? has a title, richest state int he union, and coaches with a title don't leave for another school. cal only 2nd since rollie massimino. Billy D makes more money and has less stress in nba. Nate will get paid in AL to stay and past troubles should keep barnhart away from him, pearl and samson. Wright too smart to deal with fans. Hurley going for a 3 peat, doesn't need ky and again winner so won't leave. same position we were in for those not smart enough to read the tea leaves. we got our #1 guy. they will too but it will look like their 5th or 6th choice but in reality will be the first one available. their fans will freak just like ours but the smart ones will know the choice was the only choice

Last edited:
I think Donovan is in play. He could run it like an NBA team in this new world. Perfect fit as well.

I think Donovan is in play. He could run it like an NBA team in this new world. Perfect fit as well.
He probably should be but, I don’t think he really is. Hasn’t coached in college in 15 years, friends with pitino and saw how the yut fan base turned on him in such a vitriolic way and most importantly - has already turned them down twice. I’m hard pressed to believe that brainfart gives him the opportunity to do so a third time - he’d look super foolish.

I think when (if) Drew says no - they pivot to Pearl.

I don’t disagree but he keeps expressing interest. That is why I think he is in play. To easy for him to say I am not interested.

I do agree it could ultimately end up with Pearl he will take it.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
He probably should be but, I don’t think he really is. Hasn’t coached in college in 15 years, friends with pitino and saw how the yut fan base turned on him in such a vitriolic way and most importantly - has already turned them down twice. I’m hard pressed to believe that brainfart gives him the opportunity to do so a third time - he’d look super foolish.

I think when (if) Drew says no - they pivot to Pearl.
NBA also offers a lot of work/life balance. NBA coaches just have to coach the team that the GM gives them. College coaches have to coach, recruit, and fundraise. Also, NBA coaches get almost a month off after season ends before predraft workouts start. College is nonstop 365 days. He’d have to REALLY want it to justify the move

Reactions: BPGhost
If you look around at what's happened over the past several years, the "blue blood elite" programs haven't gotten those "home run" hires.

UNC - Hubert
Duke - Scheyer
IU - multiple weak
UCLA - Cronin
Louisville - Kelsey

The landscape is different from the last time UK had to hire a new coach. The questions to me are how much money UK really has and what relationships Barnhart has with the coaching candidates. Supposedly he's in tight with Drew, it might make a difference. It's not that big of a fall to have him picking over the remains of NIT Championship Game participants.

Reactions: BPGhost and earsky
Apparently the AD at uk has a close relationship with Drew. Expect an all out blitz to bring him to Lessington. Should be interesting to see how Drew responds.
think when (if) Drew says no - they pivot to Pearl.

Apparently the AD at uk has a close relationship with Drew. Expect an all out blitz to bring him to Lessington. Should be interesting to see how Drew responds.
If you factor in the reasons that he gave in turning down UofL - which I think were legit - they still exist with regards to the uk job. Add to that the fact that as a self described devout Christian, he would be going from a private Christian school where he’s been successful and is by all accounts well liked - to a pressure cooker environment where he has to deal with big hillbilly nation lunatics every time he takes a loss.

The only thing that is different positively, is his reported friendship with brainfart. Not that it’s the same thing mind you but, being friends didn’t help Heird when it came to Jay Wright.

My money is on Scott Drew being their next head coach. I think the X factor as others have mentioned, would be the pressure cooker of a job that it is and whether he and his family are up for that.

We forget sometimes that not everyone is like Pitino and that families also have a lot of influence to these huge decisions.

If you factor in the reasons that he gave in turning down UofL - which I think were legit - they still exist with regards to the uk job. Add to that the fact that as a self described devout Christian, he would be going from a private Christian school where he’s been successful and is by all accounts well liked - to a pressure cooker environment where he has to deal with big hillbilly nation lunatics every time he takes a loss.

The only thing that is different positively, is his reported friendship with brainfart. Not that it’s the same thing mind you but, being friends didn’t help Heird when it came to Jay Wright.
Agree with all of this but I think there are subtle differences between Drew and Wright. I didn't say Drew would take it,just that it likely will be an all in by Barnhart and a defining moment in his legacy. He's up against it for sure landing Drew.

Drew: Their best shot due to the relationship between Drew and Barnhart
Oats: Said he’s staying put at Bama
Donovan: won’t leave the NBA
Wright: Made it clear last night he’s not interested
Hurley: hasn’t mentioned it yet, but he would be ignorant to give up what he’s got going on at UCONN for the pressure and expectations of SuCk. But anything’s possible

My sources on FB😅 have confirmed that the blitz is in progress to land Donovan and that he's allegedly on his way to Lexington. If he doesn't take it,they'll likely pivot and try to land Drew.
Don't shoot me,I read it online🙃

Coach Cal has looked miserable all season.
that is a big red flag for the next coach.
True, but he brought most of it on himself with the lack of success and selling the “It’s more important that I put players in the NBA than NC”. You can’t say those things at top programs that expect NC. He milked that for a lot of years. But the con is up, even though it took SuCks fan base years to figure it out.

My sources on FB😅 have confirmed that the blitz is in progress to land Donovan and that he's allegedly on his way to Lexington. If he doesn't take it,they'll likely pivot and try to land Drew.
Don't shoot me,I read it online🙃
The rumor mill it’s alive and well much like it was for us. Who knows what’s true

Reactions: earsky
Hurley was asked directly after the game about the SuCk job and if he was interested. Hurley: No way. Plus the AD said he do would whatever it takes to keep him.
It’s probably Dovovan or Drew. If neither take it then it will become interesting

As of today, Drew is the best shot IMO.

No way Hurley foregone a chance for 3 in a row to come to a place that hasn't seen past round 2 in years.

As much as I hope UK flops in their effort to hire a coach; in truth, they have as good a chance of hiring anyone of those top targets identified, as anyone in all of college basketball.

With that said, winning in the SEC regardless of coach and talent will be difficult to match fan expectations …. the environment has changed dramatically from those decades when UK was the only SEC member invested in basketball. BBN expectations have never adjusted to that reality, which explains so much disappointment each year.

It sounds like Drew will be the coach but rumors are he is torn. I still don’t think this job fits him or his family. This job is more than coaching it is all consuming. It is polar opposite of Waco. Louisville fans had the same concern.

He is a really good coach but if his wife and kids don’t adjust well in this powder keg it may not matter.

It really is Satterfield on steroids. Comes in from protective environment to an absolute war zone. If things go bad it will get ugly. I keep saying it the SEC is getting better and better winning is only going to get harder.

So, the friendship and joint spirituality between Drew and Barnhart will be comforting to both of them, I’m certain. Sadly, the relationship between Drew and the fans….not so much. Triple this for Drew’s wife and kids. Going from beloved in Waco to threatened in Lexington will not just be culture shock, it will be devastating. Pitino and family couldn’t wait to leave Lexington. Pitino later flips off KY fans while exiting Rupp. Tubby Smith couldn’t get out of Lexington fast enough. Calipari takes a pay cut to leave for Fayetteville. All three of these men won NC’s at KY, yet their batshit crazy fans ran them off. I like Scott Drew and think he’s a good man who has made good choices in his career. This choice…he’ll regret. This is as certain as death and taxes.

Pitino later flips off KY fans while exiting Rupp.
Yes,as I remember that had something to do with signs about JoAnn(Yes that's right they went after the man's wife).
That's what you're dealing with here-sad and scary.

As much as I hope UK flops in their effort to hire a coach; in truth, they have as good a chance of hiring anyone of those top targets identified, as anyone in all of college basketball.

With that said, winning in the SEC regardless of coach and talent will be difficult to match fan expectations …. the environment has changed dramatically from those decades when UK was the only SEC member invested in basketball. BBN expectations have never adjusted to that reality, which explains so much disappointment each year.
Times have definitely changed and BB in the SEC has become more competitive. If Drew’s the guy he’ll recruit well but not to the level Cal did. The days of SuCk waltzing through the SEC are over.
I feared Drew would be a bad fit for here and I don’t think he’s a good fit for SuCk. So out of all the top targets he’s the one I’m least concerned about in our soon to be rejuvenated rivalry.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT