ADVERTISEMENT

Clarkson tweets UCLA offer

Not a great sign but, I’d be significantly more troubled if ucla was still an adidas school. Their breakup with adidas a few years ago wasn’t the best as UA outbid adidas by a lot. When Covid-19 hit and UA went from an 5B to an 3B company, they bailed on a ton of the endorsement deals they made so now ucla is a nike school - so doubt seriously he’s going there.

Wouldn’t be surprised if somehow the timing of it was either orchestrated by or for Satterfield as a way to try and scare UofL into retaining him in order to keep the class together.

Everyone pretty much knows how the Cards fare these last six games will tell the tale on this recruiting class.

Go 2 and 4 or worse and missing the bowl season would surely get Satterfield axed, and the class would lose probably all but maybe one of the 4 star commitments.

Go 3 and 3 the above still may happen, but if there's a couple big wins in there like Wake and Clemson, Satterfield would probably be retained, saving a majority of the class.

Go 4 and 2 or better with a big win over UK, the excitement of going to a decent bowl against a power 5 team would excite the fanbase and most if not all the recruits stay with Louisville.

I've always expected some of these recruits to sign elsewhere regardless of how this Louisville team performed.

So my question is, if these guys sign an NIL deal can they just walk away with the money and go somewhere else..?

So my question is, if these guys sign an NIL deal can they just walk away with the money and go somewhere else..?
The deals have to be conditional upon signing with the school in question - akin to “committing” to a school prior to actually signing. There have been several reported cases of recruits securing an NIL deal only to shop it for additional money with other schools.

Capitalism at its best and worst simultaneously. 😬

Reactions: Cardiac Red

I could be wrong, but my understanding is they can't sign until they are on campus and on the team. I read this when reading about the (unbelievable) $8M man, the best QB in the universe ever, that signed with Tennessee for 2023 - supposedly he can't sign that deal until he's on UT's campus.

Also, we read that DJ Wagner and others signed NIL deals. So who knows.

I realize I did not answer your question at all.

• Haha
This same question was brought up on Deeners show and he had a lawyer answer it to the best of his knowledge. Each indivudual deal has it's own language written in it. Deener always makes a good point on NIL though by asking what does a business really get out of paying big money for these kids especially if you pay them up front and unless it's written in the contract you attend that school. You can just walk away and sign somewhere else. So we really will never know the details on these NIL deals.

Now common sense will tell you that these shoe company NIL . If you are signing with with anything to do with Nilke no way will you be going to a diffrent brand school vice versa .

That be like bringing home a female co-workers food eating and praising it . Around your wife or GF.

Last edited:
  • Haha
This is why this year was so important. On paper best class ever. Real momentum in recruiting which is hard to do at Louisville. It probably falls apart if the staff is let go. Basically have to start all over.

The kids and parents aren’t stupid they know Satterfield is on the edge. They have to take their visits and create back up plans.

I still think 6-6 with class intact he is retained. The class starts falling apart he will be let go. Starts with Pitt.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is they can't sign until they are on campus and on the team. I read this when reading about the (unbelievable) $8M man, the best QB in the universe ever, that signed with Tennessee for 2023 - supposedly he can't sign that deal until he's on UT's campus.

Also, we read that DJ Wagner and others signed NIL deals. So who knows.

I realize I did not answer your question at all.
Depends on the deal. DJs is a brand deal in which on paper doesn’t tie him to any university, although we all know that means he will be at a Nike school. Coughcough Kentucky. Where as Nico’s deal is mandatory on him wearing that orange.

That kid for UK hit them with that none and done last year then just popped smoke and entered the NBA Draft. Some solid ROI on that NIL there.

I’m pretty sure Clarkson owns Flyville so him not coming to UofL would be an interesting business decision. I suppose he could start BruinVille.

Reactions: 502Cards1
I'm sure it wouldn't be hard for UCLA NIL collectives to buy his little T-shirt business out at a price he couldn't resist.And just start a new one !

I'm sure it wouldn't be hard for UCLA NIL collectives to buy his little T-shirt business out at a price he couldn't resist.And just start a new one !
Clarksons don’t want to play second fiddle to the The 35 LA professional teams. They have made that clear. Have you seen how empty UCLA stadium stays??

It is interesting that these kids are getting NIL money that isn’t necessarily tied to Satterfield. If that is the case if you want to keep the kids committed the kids or handlers could have a say in who the next coach is or isn’t.

Transfer rules make player retention even tougher. It is a huge piece of thin ice. It is a nightmare really for coaches.

Team performance doesn’t matter. Heck the Head Coach philosophy barely matters. UL somehow has a LOT of NIL money coming for this class in and it’s that money that is securing the class.

Reincarnated: While I am not arguing your suggestion that our 2023 class is a result of NIL money; I do believe it is fair to ask the question as to whether there is any evidence to support this theory? I hope it’s true, as it would suggest there is some in our community with significant money who actually support UL football.

Reincarnated: While I am not arguing your suggestion that our 2023 class is a result of NIL money; I do believe it is fair to ask the question as to whether there is any evidence to support this theory? I hope it’s true, as it would suggest there is some in our community with significant money who actually support UL football.
There have been many articles that have discussed UofL’s decision to get out at the front of the NIL era - specifically NIL collectives. But beyond that, you really need specific proof that NIL money is the reason that Sunbelt Scotty has suddenly gone from a middling at best recruiter to an ace - pulling in top 10 talent at multiple positions? In his 4th year where mediocrity has been his calling card?

I mean honestly… 🙄

Reactions: SpotHogCard
Not a great sign but, I’d be significantly more troubled if ucla was still an adidas school. Their breakup with adidas a few years ago wasn’t the best as UA outbid adidas by a lot. When Covid-19 hit and UA went from an 5B to an 3B company, they bailed on a ton of the endorsement deals they made so now ucla is a nike school - so doubt seriously he’s going there.

Wouldn’t be surprised if somehow the timing of it was either orchestrated by or for Satterfield as a way to try and scare UofL into retaining him in order to keep the class together.

While the chances are good that such a highly rated QB will pan out, there is also a chance he is very average too....

I hope the kid is the next Manning, but you never know.

Still no one has identified specifically who is putting up this NIL money; until I see the identity of the individuals or the groups ……. I am not convinced that explains the success of the 2023 recruiting class.

There was no secret whatsoever as to who put up the NIL for Hailey Van Lith; as Adidas and local JC Penny and Dick’s Sporting Goods made it public.

I believe Zipp may appreciate this more than most, but right now one of the biggest questions about UL sports for me is where the financial support is coming from, or lack thereof. For those who are so focused on replacing Satterfield; the source of funding will ultimately determine whether there is any coaching change.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT