ADVERTISEMENT

CL Brown on radio w/deener said no drives longer than 5 minutes in last 4 games, D get's no break.

glassmanJ

2500+
Jan 26, 2007
it's funny how we're ripping the D but in our wins they saved the day. but if true, cards have not had an offensive drive eclipse 5 minutes in the last 4 games. the D is always on the field and tired. our offense relies on big plays and then expects the defense to hold without any rest. more screens and ground game to eat some clock would help. but we are not out-gunning any teams so more clock eating drives are needed. the offense, and playcalling, needs to help the d.

it's funny how we're ripping the D but in our wins they saved the day. but if true, cards have not had an offensive drive eclipse 5 minutes in the last 4 games. the D is always on the field and tired. our offense relies on big plays and then expects the defense to hold without any rest. more screens and ground game to eat some clock would help. but we are not out-gunning any teams so more clock eating drives are needed. the offense, and playcalling, needs to help the d.
CL Brown is at best an average writer, but he certainly is not a credible analyst.

That's using datafitting to support a thesis.

He believes an efficient offense is really bad for a team's defense.

Sorry, CL, stick to average, at best, sportswriting.

• Haha
Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
That doesn’t play early in games. They have been terrible out of the gate. Actually have gotten better as the game moved on. Just didn’t get many stops against Miami and they had long drives. Miami long drives followed by a quick TD.

Reactions: Mayoman
CL Brown is at best an average writer, but he certainly is not a credible analyst.

That's using datafitting to support a thesis.

He believes an efficient offense is really bad for a team's defense.

Sorry, CL, stick to average, at best, sportswriting.
so you rip him but did not dispute his facts? or say he was wrong? so to me, you're the doofus. and btw, efficient offenses generally lose in big games because they don't know how to control the clock and if you stop them at all you win. outscoring the opponent is nto working, and btw, how many offense points have been scored by the D? it's not like the offense is putting up 40 a game. defense and special teams are scoring a lot.

btw, 4-6 in the last 10, when do we start talking about a head coaching change, losing and being under .500 is not acceptable!

so you rip him but did not dispute his facts? or say he was wrong? so to me, you're the doofus. and btw, efficient offenses generally lose in big games because they don't know how to control the clock and if you stop them at all you win. outscoring the opponent is nto working, and btw, how many offense points have been scored by the D? it's not like the offense is putting up 40 a game. defense and special teams are scoring a lot.
CL Brown should just say the Cards Defense is crappy.

Why post that? We were down 21-7 against ND, 14-10 against SMU, 7-0 against Virginia and 10-7 against Miami at the end of the 1st quarter of each game? You mean our defense is tired before we even begin to play? Maybe Brohm is working them too hard in pregame warmups. Brown's comments have no merit. Offense is often trying to compensate for our defensive woes. Even the fumble on the 3 yard line, maybe if our defense didn't let them drive the ball to our 45 line, maybe the punt doesn't go to the 6 yard line? Just stupid comments.

You aren’t on the field long if you stop the other team’s offense. That’s the real problem.

Too much criticism by fans over coaches in general is prevelant all over the country. Everyone is an expert and think replacing coaches is the answer. It's ridiculous! Just look at the idiotic comment in this thread about getting rid of Brohm.

Satterfield was the man after his first season here. What happened? Did he all of a sudden forget how to coach? Don't think so. Look at Cincinnati this season.

Ron English is a coach who was here before and was destined to be criticized once the defense struggled. I happen to agree with those who wasn't thrilled he accompanied Brohm from Purdue, but what did I really know?

I knew we had studs coming back and had more depth, especially on the D-Line. I figured English was good enough to continue the good defense we had before he got here. I'm not sure he is.

But at the same time, maybe it's a combination of above average offenses the Cards are seeing and key injuries that is the issue? From what I've seen I think English hasn't been able to prepare the defense before the game starts.

He seemingly has to make adjustments after just a few possessions and for the most part, he's had some success. However, against an offense like Miami and SMU, he just wasn't able to make enough adjustments to slow down the offenses. Brohm bringing him down to the field I believe was mostly for Brohm being able to chastise him face to face.

Alabama fans are already questioning their new coach when they had to know there was going to be a dip after losing Saban. Louisville fans expected Jeff Brohm to be the next Steve Spurrier and when it doesn't happen, some suggest looking for someone else.

I think most of us know that would be a disaster and no hot coach would ever consider coming here.

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
Too much criticism by fans over coaches in general is prevelant all over the country. Everyone is an expert and think replacing coaches is the answer. It's ridiculous! Just look at the idiotic comment in this thread about getting rid of Brohm.

Satterfield was the man after his first season here. What happened? Did he all of a sudden forget how to coach? Don't think so. Look at Cincinnati this season.

Ron English is a coach who was here before and was destined to be criticized once the defense struggled. I happen to agree with those who wasn't thrilled he accompanied Brohm from Purdue, but what did I really know?

I knew we had studs coming back and had more depth, especially on the D-Line. I figured English was good enough to continue the good defense we had before he got here. I'm not sure he is.

But at the same time, maybe it's a combination of above average offenses the Cards are seeing and key injuries that is the issue? From what I've seen I think English hasn't been able to prepare the defense before the game starts.

He seemingly has to make adjustments after just a few possessions and for the most part, he's had some success. However, against an offense like Miami and SMU, he just wasn't able to make enough adjustments to slow down the offenses. Brohm bringing him down to the field I believe was mostly for Brohm being able to chastise him face to face.

Alabama fans are already questioning their new coach when they had to know there was going to be a dip after losing Saban. Louisville fans expected Jeff Brohm to be the next Steve Spurrier and when it doesn't happen, some suggest looking for someone else.

I think most of us know that would be a disaster and no hot coach would ever consider coming here.
Not really sure what you're saying here but I dare say there's probably 134 Division 1 teams that would want a coach with the caliber and more importantly record of a Spurrier and that even includes Alabama. Thats not why I wanted Brohm. We didn't get him because he was hot. I wanted a coach that had a passion for U of L football and the city of Louisville period. I firmly believe he wants what I want, a chance at a NC, but I don't expect it to happen overnight and he's certainly not above criticism. If changes aren't made then yes, he will be questioned.

Reactions: TPACardsFan
Fans are always going to get upset with coaches when they lose.

The issue for me is the defense doesn’t look like it has an identity. Brohm talks about it being aggressive it isn’t. Based off other teams QB it is a basic defense and yet we still have guys completely lost. That is coaching. Slice it up however that is a fact. They get lost in coverage a lot.

I don’t worry about the offense as a whole. They have played from behind in almost every game against conference teams.

Overall Brohm is the right guy for the job. I trust he will make the right decisions about his staff. I trust he will push Heird to get him what he needs to complete with the ACC. If that means Brohm needs another 1M to hire a legit DC then he has to get that done. Brohm with a legit defense will be a problem in the ACC.

It’s like John L. Said when he was being challenged- “we just have to get better players”. That’s really what it comes down to.

Well lets look at last year's defense fairly. Was it really ever that good?

Game 1 against Georgia Tech we struggled, maybe the best ACC offense we faced?
Indiana was terrible, Boston College wasn't a good offense, NC State was laughably bad on offense, Pitt wasn't that good and scored on us, Duke was playing an injured QB, VT wasn't amazing, UVA wasn't special and they were driving on us at times.

Miami was playing Van Dyke after he was benched, even he looked decent against us. Kentucky struggled all year and could move it on us. FSU didn't have a QB. USC played backups and ate us up.

Notre Dame was probably the only good offense we stopped last year in my opinion. But even they didn't have a great year. We didn't really play any of the top tier QBs in our own league last year. I think we had an advantage not having to play many good QBs last year and the defense looked a lot better. We also lost 2 NFL talents in the secondary.

This year we're playing way better talent.
Georgia Tech is much improved in 1 year. Notre Dame & Leonard on the road. SMU is a high powered offense. Miami and the likely Heisman favorite. 2 weeks we'll play a talented Clemson team too. So we're seeing a lot more talent this year than we did a year ago. The signs were there late in the year from the UVA game until the bowl game, I think the film got out and OCs have figured out how to attack us.

I kind of got worried during the UVA game last year, but thought it's one week. But then Miami and Van Dyke carved us up, just made some big mistakes. THen Kentucky made big plays. Then USC. We're really more relying on turnovers for our big plays, but we can't really stop a team consistently.

Overall Brohm is the right guy for the job. I trust he will make the right decisions about his staff. I trust he will push Heird to get him what he needs to complete with the ACC. If that means Brohm needs another 1M to hire a legit DC then he has to get that done. Brohm with a legit defense will be a problem in the ACC.
IT's going to be almost impossible to find those legit DCs you're talking about.

Kentucky's DC makes double what English makes.

With ACC money, we're limited. Players are going to start getting paid next year. Donor money is going to NIL. Brohm himself draws a big salary for a school like ours. Todd Grantham was the only time we got a big name DC. We haven't really ever had big name coordinators or assistants. That's where the SEC and Big Ten will start to separate, they can just pay far more for assistants. Georgia probably can pay a position coach more money than we can pay a coordinator now.

Well lets look at last year's defense fairly. Was it really ever that good?

Game 1 against Georgia Tech we struggled, maybe the best ACC offense we faced?
Indiana was terrible, Boston College wasn't a good offense, NC State was laughably bad on offense, Pitt wasn't that good and scored on us, Duke was playing an injured QB, VT wasn't amazing, UVA wasn't special and they were driving on us at times.

Miami was playing Van Dyke after he was benched, even he looked decent against us. Kentucky struggled all year and could move it on us. FSU didn't have a QB. USC played backups and ate us up.

Notre Dame was probably the only good offense we stopped last year in my opinion. But even they didn't have a great year. We didn't really play any of the top tier QBs in our own league last year. I think we had an advantage not having to play many good QBs last year and the defense looked a lot better. We also lost 2 NFL talents in the secondary.

This year we're playing way better talent.
Georgia Tech is much improved in 1 year. Notre Dame & Leonard on the road. SMU is a high powered offense. Miami and the likely Heisman favorite. 2 weeks we'll play a talented Clemson team too. So we're seeing a lot more talent this year than we did a year ago. The signs were there late in the year from the UVA game until the bowl game, I think the film got out and OCs have figured out how to attack us.

I kind of got worried during the UVA game last year, but thought it's one week. But then Miami and Van Dyke carved us up, just made some big mistakes. THen Kentucky made big plays. Then USC. We're really more relying on turnovers for our big plays, but we can't really stop a team consistently.
I always look at a unit based off the quality of their opponent. In 2 years they haven’t been able to stop teams that weren’t one dimensional. It really looks like other teams have figure them out and quickly. They really haven’t played well since the Duke game.
IT's going to be almost impossible to find those legit DCs you're talking about.

Kentucky's DC makes double what English makes.

With ACC money, we're limited. Players are going to start getting paid next year. Donor money is going to NIL. Brohm himself draws a big salary for a school like ours. Todd Grantham was the only time we got a big name DC. We haven't really ever had big name coordinators or assistants. That's where the SEC and Big Ten will start to separate, they can just pay far more for assistants. Georgia probably can pay a position coach more money than we can pay a coordinator now.
There are only 10 DC making 1.7 or more that are legit and Louisville would not get any of them even if they had that kind of budget. They got Grantham because he was fighting with the Georgia coach.

I don’t think they have to make that kind of move but can they find a good SEC or Big Ten that has good recruiting ties? He can bring in players with him. Or go the pro route get a defensive assistant coach.

Jim Leonard is making $890,000 for Denver he is on a 1 year contract. He ran legit defenses for Wisconsin. Just an example.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT