ADVERTISEMENT

Civility and Respectful Discussion?

Steelers2012

Jan 5, 2012
FTR, I'm posting this thread purely as a message board poster and reader. Am I just old fashioned and behind the times? Believe me, I have certainly given that possibility great consideration. What happened to basic civil and respectful discussion and debate? Why can't people have differing viewpoints and opinions without attacking or aggression towards others with a different view or perspective? Why can't a poster counter another poster's comments without casting personal dispersions on their intelligence or knowledge? I KNOW it's possible to say "I hear what you are saying, but I have a different viewpoint or experience, here are MY thoughts on the topic". For me personally, it's become too difficult to have meaningful discussion on message boards (not just this one BTW, it's on every message board, and social media in general). That's why I've stepped back from posting very much anymore; it's just exhausting to deal with the alpha dog/smartest guy in the room mentality that permeates message boards these days. It's doesn't seem to be enough to voice one's opinions; posters want to WIN the debate and "personally" DEFEAT their opponent with aggression and condescension. Anyways...that's MY thoughts on the topic...what are yours?

Here's a more succinct version:

Debate things in the arena of ideas instead of being a complete jackass. You know, the way adults behave in real life (or else they'd get their asses kicked every day for being a complete jackass).

I agree with you somewhat, but we don’t want a rah rah board either. Everyone seems on defense here, a lot has to do with people that want to “zip” in and always take jabs at our current administration. Just my two cents.

A-freaking-men.

I get so annoyed when people immediately attack someone's intelligence or don't realize how hypocritical they're being. ESPECIALLY when its two fans of the same program....you both want the same thing guys!

I do think there are posters on here who while they might not directly take shots at people they are clearly only on here to stir the pot and no amount of success by the new administration will ever get the respect it deserves.

Here's a more succinct version:

Debate things in the arena of ideas instead of being a complete jackass. You know, the way adults behave in real life (or else they'd get their asses kicked every day for being a complete jackass).
I like what you said here about real life. I always find my self thinking there’s no way this person or that person would behave like this on the street. I can’t imagine being into role play and that’s sort of what it’s like when someone acts out on a message board. Good post

Reactions: Cue Card
Great post Steelers. It's just sports in the end and is not life changing in any way. Not for fans. It's just a game and nothing else.

Life and time goes on no matter what happens on the field of play or on the basketball court. Games are just games meant to entertain us. Not define us.

Reactions: EKYCard643
FTR, I'm posting this thread purely as a message board poster and reader. Am I just old fashioned and behind the times? Believe me, I have certainly given that possibility great consideration. What happened to basic civil and respectful discussion and debate? Why can't people have differing viewpoints and opinions without attacking or aggression towards others with a different view or perspective? Why can't a poster counter another poster's comments without casting personal dispersions on their intelligence or knowledge? I KNOW it's possible to say "I hear what you are saying, but I have a different viewpoint or experience, here are MY thoughts on the topic". For me personally, it's become too difficult to have meaningful discussion on message boards (not just this one BTW, it's on every message board, and social media in general). That's why I've stepped back from posting very much anymore; it's just exhausting to deal with the alpha dog/smartest guy in the room mentality that permeates message boards these days. It's doesn't seem to be enough to voice one's opinions; posters want to WIN the debate and "personally" DEFEAT their opponent with aggression and condescension. Anyways...that's MY thoughts on the topic...what are yours?

You nailed it. I’ve been a board reader for years. I like a variety of sources of great information and enjoy following debate. Never felt like I had time to spend posting. And certainly everything you describe further limits any interest in doing so. But it’s also getting to the point that it gets old very quickly wading through the insults and personal attacks (and to be fair, not exclusive to this board by any means) decreasing the interest to even read through.

Nicely expressed.

Reactions: Morgantown Card
I just stared posting a month or so ago. From what I have seen a decent majority argue points and give their opinion, but there are a few handfuls that go straight personal or belittle every point that certain folks post. I have been pretty lucky in that regard as I try and just keep it about the topic and make opinions, state facts and stay out of the larger legal/financial rhetoric that some focus on.

Well said and totally agree. Fandom has its limits!

Reactions: BUSCHBUG

I agree. But it is like in a football game and your opponent is talking smack, you talk back with smack. However, I agree we should act educated and talk about who, what, when, where and how! And we should make an opening statement. Support it with facts and close with a conclusion. But to most this is a smack board and they like to troll and bait others. So many are often high, drunk, or just trolling.

Reactions: Steelers2012
I agree. But then it is like in football game and your opponent is talking smack, you talk back with smack. However, I agree we should act educated and talk out who, what, when, where and how! And we should make an opening statement. Support it with facts and close with a conclusion. But to most this smack board and they like to troll and bait others.
Just FTR, my "thoughts" are regarding Card fan/poster behavior towards each other, not Card fan behavior towards rival visitors. WE do have posters who like to post/bait rivals into commenting just for the "game" of talking smack to them.

Just FTR, my "thoughts" are regarding Card fan/poster behavior towards each other, not Card fan behavior towards rival visitors. WE do have posters who like to post/bait rivals into commenting just for the "game" of talking smack to them.

Sadly some do that to our fellow Card fans, also.

Reactions: CardsFirst
Well, man...it's reality I'm afraid...lamenting on this brave new world and pining for days of old is nice for sitting on the front porch and I totally agree with your sentiment...I think a more productive discussion may be to discuss how to address or respond in the moment. Should we call people out, ignore, try to school them with our posting skills, fight fire with fire?? FWIW, I've only ignored one person on this board...good ole cardlaw...for those that don't know, just count your blessings. I don't know the "answer", it seems the key board/phone barrier emboldens sophomoric behavior. I, personally, just assume everyone on this board is already a few drinks in and take all the hyperbole as drunken nonsense...in that light, at least it's somewhat entertaining and I don't take anything seriously. I actually think our Mods do a nice job of shutting down, or not, threads as needed. So, I'll take this opportunity to say to those Mods...Thanks! this is still a great board.

In all seriousness, we need to make posting on message boards great again.

I like to try and keep things light and sometimes funny while trying to add some value to the board. Sometimes it lands well and other times not so much.

The sad truth is that this board in my opinion is reflective of the current societal/political climate of the day in many ways. It would be nice to see less of the personal attacks and "smartest guy in the room" mentality. We can disagree and/or have our own opinions while still showing respect for our fellow fan.

Been a rough few years for the Card fan. Doesn't help. There's also posters I'm sure have gotten far in life with ad hominem arguments. Bad habit for a few and it gets a rise out of most.

I agree. But it is like in a football game and your opponent is talking smack, you talk back with smack. However, I agree we should act educated and talk about who, what, when, where and how! And we should make an opening statement. Support it with facts and close with a conclusion. But to most this is a smack board and they like to troll and bait others. So many are often high, drunk, or just trolling.
The primary difference is that if players talk smack in football (or any sports for that matter), they have to back it up on the field or pay the price. It’s simply too easy to behave like an ass on the other side of a keyboard or phone with a made up name. Frankly provides “courage” to some who would otherwise have none face to face.

What makes it most frustrating are the times when the mature, rational posters let the drunks, trolls, etc. goad them into responses that only serve to satisfy the intent of these posters. When an ass comment appears, more often than not, silence is golden.

Reactions: CardsFirst
I agree I have made comments that I shouldn’t have. I prefer a good debate, but I think the rehashing of the same stuff over and over again gets old, which I think leads to some of the aggressive debate. Unfortunately the situation we’re in with the FB season and the whole sh$$ storm we’ve been under over the last several years causes a lot of frustration. We have many fans that have moved on some that have not. Some stuck in the middle. At the end of the day we all want the same thing a successful university in academics and sports. We all have different ideas how to accomplish that.

PS. I do not come on these board to get SuCk fans opinions on what we should do or how we’re doing. I hear from them enough in other situations. I get on here to get other Card fans views.

I agree with you somewhat, but we don’t want a rah rah board either. Everyone seems on defense here, a lot has to do with people that want to “zip” in and always take jabs at our current administration. Just my two cents.
LOL... Took three posts for this thread to enter "degenerate" mode.

My thoughts are I’ve been doing this a long time, and nothing has changed. Never take it personal, and give what you get.

Reactions: zipp and CardsFirst
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT