ADVERTISEMENT

Chucky Strong?

SchmidtyNole

5000+
Feb 19, 2007
Do you guys think he regrets leaving Louisville now? He didn't realize how good he had it. Now he is on the verge of getting canned at Texas and having to start back again at the route of being somebody's Defensive Coordinator till he finds another Louisville type up and coming position where he can become a Head Coach again. But I think Petrino is a better coach for Louisville long term than even Strong would have been so Louisville made out just fine.

No, he got a career opportunity of a lifetime and his ego made him believe that he could be successful. A lot of coaches would want to be in those shoes.

This may bother a lot of folks, but if it were not for Clint Hurtt recruiting Teddy and some other south Florida studs to Louisville .............. Charlie's success at UL would have been significantly reduced. Charlie was great disciplinarian and will always deserve credit for pulling our program out from the Kragthorpe era, but most should be able to see that despite all the advantages of TX, he has been a huge disappointment and his lack of HC ability is limited.

He did the same thing JLS did ............got assurance of financial security for life and then discovered that he was not as good as he thought he was.

This may bother a lot of folks, but if it were not for Clint Hurtt recruiting Teddy and some other south Florida studs to Louisville .............. Charlie's success at UL would have been significantly reduced. Charlie was great disciplinarian and will always deserve credit for pulling our program out from the Kragthorpe era, but most should be able to see that despite all the advantages of TX, he has been a huge disappointment and his lack of HC ability is limited.

He did the same thing JLS did ............got assurance of financial security for life and then discovered that he was not as good as he thought he was.

Exactly my friend. Who would turn down $25 million after being shunned for so many years especially by southern schools. Tom Jurich did the right thing by hiring him and he did a good job for UofL. I hold no grudges and still wish him well to this day. Perhaps some of my fellow posters have hit the nail on the head by blaming his ego and you may just be right. Successful football coaches, indeed coaches in general, have huge egos, i.e. the Rick Pitinos, John Caliparis and Sabans of the world.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Adam Froman said on a Maybin's radio show that the staff had told him they regret leaving Louisville.

Charlie was offered the opportunity of a lifetime and took a chance at it. Didn't work out but to not have taken that chance would have lessened his character. When you want to be top notch, you try the opportunity when it comes.

Charlie will be fine. He's a great defensive coach and someone will snap him up in a heartbeat. Wouldn't be surprised to see him back with Urban Myer at Ohio State.

Never fault a man for trying to reach the top, even if it doesnt work out. Best of luck to him.

We're better off as well. You think with Charlie we'd be leading the nation in almost every statistical offensive category and have the heisman front runner?

Hopefully Petrino and Grantham see the lesson and decide theres nothing they can't do at another place that they can't do here.

How do you know?

Was he NOT supposed to recruit the best players he could ?
You sound like some of the national pundits who say that the Cards and
Petrino are only successful because of Lamar.

Strong may not be a HOF coach but he's way better than John L.
Strong coached up alot of players. Many who made the NFL.

OU and TT just combined for 1700 yds. No team in the Big12 is a top
notch defensive team.

He was NOT supposed to recruit players already committed to U of L.

How do you know?

Was he NOT supposed to recruit the best players he could ?
You sound like some of the national pundits who say that the Cards and
Petrino are only successful because of Lamar.

Strong may not be a HOF coach but he's way better than John L.
Strong coached up alot of players. Many who made the NFL.

OU and TT just combined for 1700 yds. No team in the Big12 is a top
notch defensive team.

Do you guys think he regrets leaving Louisville now? He didn't realize how good he had it. Now he is on the verge of getting canned at Texas and having to start back again at the route of being somebody's Defensive Coordinator till he finds another Louisville type up and coming position where he can become a Head Coach again. But I think Petrino is a better coach for Louisville long term than even Strong would have been so Louisville made out just fine.
I'll tell you,I'm sure as hell glad he did. Thank you Chucky boy !!

No, he got a career opportunity of a lifetime and his ego made him believe that he could be successful. A lot of coaches would want to be in those shoes.
I agree with you. It was an opportunity of a lifetime, and one any coach with high ambitions would have jumped at. Hell, he begged for the job. He wanted it badly. He got it, and now he has to live with the results.

Reactions: SoulSr
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT