ADVERTISEMENT

Charlie Strong at TexasThread Part II

Ipartiedwithhopgood

Five-Star Poster
Jan 20, 2011
I'm not sure why the other thread got locked. That thread was generating a lot of insight from Texas and Louisville fans and was a great read.

For the most part Texas posters were highly respectful on our board so I don't think any of their guys said anything warranting a thread lock. Maybe posts got deleted?

Anyway maybe we can pick up where we left off and avoid another thread lock in this one? Or maybe everyone has had enough.

I actually agree with the poster that pointed out 16-19 is a pretty big window to show the required progress appears to be missing. However, I disagree with making him a lame duck at 2-2 also.

Charlie played a role in helping Louisville reach the ACC. I don't think he is, or ever will be a top shelf HC, he has some strengths and weaknesses. I think he would have more success in a different region and different league that plays a different style of game. The B12 is a wide open shoot-out league and that just doesn't play well to a ball control hungry coach that wants to lean on a defense.

What I hope doesn't happen...

With all the negative hype surrounding the NFL from individuals using their sports fame to make non-sports-related statements, I believe a lot of viewers have drawn closer to college sports.

If Charlie Strong is ever fired from the Texas head coach position, I fear the backlash that could result which has nothing to do with merit or lack of merit for the position. I pray that we all keep our heads and that politics and profiling of any sort stay out of the fray, otherwise Texas could be the start of a stain that hits all of college sports.

Charlie Strong was a great coach for Louisville, and his story could have grown into legacy proportions if he had stayed, yet he went off to take an opportunity he had earned, regardless of previous verbal statements or anyone else's feelings. Whatever happens in Texas should stay merit based and "football" business. ...and then move on.

#prettyhappywithourcurrentcoachingsituation

Go Cards!

Reactions: tluck28
What I hope doesn't happen...

With all the negative hype surrounding the NFL from individuals using their sports fame to make non-sports-related statements, I believe a lot of viewers have drawn closer to college sports.

If Charlie Strong is ever fired from the Texas head coach position, I fear the backlash that could result which has nothing to do with merit or lack of merit for the position. I pray that we all keep our heads and that politics and profiling of any sort stay out of the fray, otherwise Texas could be the start of a stain that hits all of college sports.

Charlie Strong was a great coach for Louisville, and his story could have grown into legacy proportions if he had stayed, yet he went off to take an opportunity he had earned, regardless of previous verbal statements or anyone else's feelings. Whatever happens in Texas should stay merit based and "football" business. ...and then move on.

#prettyhappywithourcurrentcoachingsituation

Go Cards!
I believe Charlie Strong was a good for the window he was here. I did not believe prior to his leaving that he could or would have sustained success at UL. His offense was restrictive and I only wonder what CBP could have done with Teddy. Example we would not have lost to Central Florida under CBP. He wouldn't have let off the gas nor would Florida come back in the Sugar Bowl. I just don't think the offense would have sustained itself under Strong. Also look how weak the O-line was when CBP arrived. I'll always be grateful for what he did for our program, but I'm mooore than happy with the way it turned out.

I'm not sure why the other thread got locked. That thread was generating a lot of insight from Texas and Louisville fans and was a great read.

For the most part Texas posters were highly respectful on our board so I don't think any of their guys said anything warranting a thread lock. Maybe posts got deleted?

Anyway maybe we can pick up where we left off and avoid another thread lock in this one? Or maybe everyone has had enough.

I actually agree with the poster that pointed out 16-19 is a pretty big window to show the required progress appears to be missing. However, I disagree with making him a lame duck at 2-2 also.

Charlie played a role in helping Louisville reach the ACC. I don't think he is, or ever will be a top shelf HC, he has some strengths and weaknesses. I think he would have more success in a different region and different league that plays a different style of game. The B12 is a wide open shoot-out league and that just doesn't play well to a ball control hungry coach that wants to lean on a defense.
He could do decent in the AAC or conf USA and that is his cut off as afar as a head coach. I couldn't be happier that he left before we entered ACC play.

Reactions: wilkie01
I've been watching the Oklahoma-Texas game since the start of the 3rd quarter. The score at the half was 14-13 Oklahoma. I thought CCS had his kids playing solid defense. I was wrong. The Longhorns have given up right at 500 yards of offense to Oklahoma and it's still the 3rd quarter. Oklahoma continues to make stupid mistakes which is keeping UT in the game.

OU is over 600 yards of offense early in the 4th quarter. Charlies done.
Yep. Especially after he announced the demotion of his friend Vance Bedford and Charles in charge would be taking over running the defense.

The games not over yet but other than LB Malik Jefferson I don't see a whole lot of talent on their Defense. Charlie and VB didn't forget how to coach defense but the lack of talent in year 3 still falls on the head coach.

Yep. Especially after he announced the demotion of his friend Vance Bedford and Charles in charge would be taking over running the defense.

The games not over yet but other than LB Malik Jefferson I don't see a whole lot of talent on their Defense. Charlie and VB didn't forget how to coach defense but the lack of talent in year 3 still falls on the head coach.
Oh there's talent that's the issue

Reactions: nccardfan
I have seen the talkings heads today say over and over that Charlie is not getting enough time to turn this ship around and it would be unfair that he gets let go. Are they any better than before he got there ? How come they don't cheer for other coaches in similar situations, like our buddy up the road or Les Miles who is genuinely a damn fine coach ?Is this solely based on race ? I feel like this is a common theme in America. If you are not getting the job done, you should not have a built in handicap based on your race. Could this be what's going on ?

Disagree. Miles has been declining for years and it finally got to the point of he had to go. Not unlike Denny Crum. Spurrier would've been fired except he quit first. National Championship winning coaches can and do decline and get fired. Mack Brown won a NC at Texas and was fired.

The Standard is very high at a place like Texas. You have everything you need to compete. Tradition, money, fanbase, recruiting base. It's not like trying to build a program. Mediocrity isn't accepted from the program.

Doesnt matter who you are, what color you are, etc. At places like Texas Football, Bama Football, Kentucky Basketball, if you aren't a national player after 3 years, you're in jeopardy.

We all knew Charlie was probably in over his head when he took the job. There are very few coaches in America that can handle the pressure of coaching at a place like Texas. Strong just aint cut that way.

Reactions: MrLandry
Disagree. Miles has been declining for years and it finally got to the point of he had to go. Not unlike Denny Crum. Spurrier would've been fired except he quit first. National Championship winning coaches can and do decline and get fired. Mack Brown won a NC at Texas and was fired.

The Standard is very high at a place like Texas. You have everything you need to compete. Tradition, money, fanbase, recruiting base. It's not like trying to build a program. Mediocrity isn't accepted from the program.

Doesnt matter who you are, what color you are, etc. At places like Texas Football, Bama Football, Kentucky Basketball, if you aren't a national player after 3 years, you're in jeopardy.

We all knew Charlie was probably in over his head when he took the job. There are very few coaches in America that can handle the pressure of coaching at a place like Texas. Strong just aint cut that way.
I agree with you. My point is , is that the commentators are saying that it isn't fair if he gets let go. I think this is based on race. If he was white, they would all be agreeing that he gets let go He shouldn't get preferential treatment by the media because he is black. He shouldn't get more time because he is balaclava like the media wants him to. No matter your race, if you can't get the job done then you should be let go. I mean look at the dumb mistakes he makes. You can't do that at a place like Texas. People like to paint this picture like the Texas boosters are racist but he makes some really dumb mistakes on the national stage as if he was a mid major coach, which he is.

Oh there's talent that's the issue
Disagree. Average talent at best other than a couple of guys. There are some good offenses in the Big 12 including Oklahoma but do you really think that Charlie forgot how to coach defense? He didn't.

Don't believe what I see on the field? here's another view from SI.com which is in line with lots of other football guys think. Charlie is doing an impression of Mark Stoops in recruiting.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/07/26/malik-jefferson-texas-longhorns-2016

I am not surprised because he threw Jeff Brohm under the bus here also! Notice the pattern!

Reactions: Red Rager
I agree with you. My point is , is that the commentators are saying that it isn't fair if he gets let go. I think this is based on race. If he was white, they would all be agreeing that he gets let go He shouldn't get preferential treatment by the media because he is black. He shouldn't get more time because he is balaclava like the media wants him to. No matter your race, if you can't get the job done then you should be let go. I mean look at the dumb mistakes he makes. You can't do that at a place like Texas. People like to paint this picture like the Texas boosters are racist but he makes some really dumb mistakes on the national stage as if he was a mid major coach, which he is.

Where this clown come from .........

Reactions: Umlusa
They say that about everybody at a high pressure school that hasn't produced by year 3.

This is Texas. Charlie is supposed to be a defensive genius. His team just gave up 640 or so yards yesterday. NOT the kind of school record a coach with a sub .500 record at a high pressure school wants to have.

The media always has a good cop/bad cop. There were people trying to defend Billy Clyde at UK.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT