ADVERTISEMENT

CBS NFL Mock Draft...Louisville QB Lamar Jackson.....

Feb 19, 2003
Goes #1 Overall to the Cleveland Browns....would not be surprised but would hope that Peyton Manning would be running the show on the North Shore which is the rumor out in the NFL....

1. Cleveland Browns
Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville. Ok, here's the scenario for this pick. The "other" top quarterback prospects continue their downturns -- at varying rates -- while Jackson cruises along in games against Wake Forest, Virginia, Syracuse, and Kentucky. After that, he aces the combine on the field and in the interview room. Then, he doesn't screw up his pro day. Boom. Roasted. Jackson heads to Cleveland to a team in need of stability at the quarterback position in the worst way imaginable.

15. Cleveland Browns from Texans
Derrius Guice, RB, LSU. Lamar Jackson and Derrius Guice? Alright, Browns. I see you. The two are precisely the type of top-flight skill-position players Cleveland desperately needs. Guice wasn't healthy early in the season but erupted for 276 yards against Ole Miss. He's flying under the radar due to Barkley's ridiculous season and has NFL feature back ability.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...-ucla-josh-rosen-as-eli-mannings-replacement/

ExaltedBrownBullmastiff-max-1mb.gif

Just saw Mel Kiper's Big Board scroll across the screen. He doesn't even have Lamar in the Top Ten picks, with Josh Rosen #2, Sam Darnold #5, and Josh Allen #6. I would actually prefer LJ doesn't go so high that he is being seen as the Savior of a franchise. I think he will need some time to adjust to diagnosing and attacking pro defenses.

Just saw Mel Kiper's Big Board scroll across the screen. He doesn't even have Lamar in the Top Ten picks, with Josh Rosen #2, Sam Darnold #5, and Josh Allen #6. I would actually prefer LJ doesn't go so high that he is being seen as the Savior of a franchise. I think he will need some time to adjust to diagnosing and attacking pro defenses.
Sam Darnold being a top 5 pick is a joke. The dude is only in that position because he is a white picket passing QB from USC.

Poor kid. Playing for the Browns is automatic path to injuries and a short career. Then again the Browns are so dumb they may not be smart enough to draft him. Hope this kid lands somewhere he can win. Sensational talent.

Poor kid. Playing for the Browns is automatic path to injuries and a short career. Then again the Browns are so dumb they may not be smart enough to draft him. Hope this kid lands somewhere he can win. Sensational talent.
They weren't smart enough to draft Teddy. They drafted some other QB. Whatever happened to that guy?

The one that sticks to me is Allen...he just isn’t accurate from the pocket at all...Kiper has LJ on his Big Board at 13th Overall...got a feeling once the Pre Draft Process starts he will shoot up the board...also rumors are now that Darnold is going back to USC. It could come down to either Jackson or Rosen as the #1 Overall Pick.

Here is the problem with Jackson. I am not sure he can read NFL coverages. He doesn't anticipate throws. It is hard not to compare him to Bridgewater. Bridgewater mentally is light years ahead of Jackson. He would call plays at the line checking into plays. You very rarely see Jackson making checks at the line. He is a wonderful college quarterback, so were Pat White/Michael Vick. He has good measuresables and will light it up at the combine.

I doubt he will be a star in the NFL as a quarterback. The NFL is a completely different animal. He would be a star running back with 10 more pounds. He is a truly gifted runner with incredible vision and incredible understanding how to set defenders up.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
Here is the problem with Jackson. I am not sure he can read NFL coverages. He doesn't anticipate throws. It is hard not to compare him to Bridgewater. Bridgewater mentally is light years ahead of Jackson. He would call plays at the line checking into plays. You very rarely see Jackson making checks at the line. He is a wonderful college quarterback, so were Pat White/Michael Vick. He has good measuresables and will light it up at the combine.

I doubt he will be a star in the NFL as a quarterback. The NFL is a completely different animal. He would be a star running back with 10 more pounds. He is a truly gifted runner with incredible vision and incredible understanding how to set defenders up.

You understand that before he went to prison Michael Vick was a All Pro/Pro Bowl QB and many of what you said they said the same about Marcus Mariota and what DeShaun Watson is doing in Houston is helping his case...coming out many said the same about him...who went 2nd Overall to Tennessee...this is Mel Kiper on Lamar Jackson this past week...and remember he does actually talk to ppl in the NFL...also remember QB shoot up draft board...last year as an example Pat Mahomes of Texas Tech and Mitchell Trubisky From UNC ...Kiper:

The next quarterback on his big board is reigning Heisman Trophy winner Lamar Jackson of Louisville. Jackson is ranked 19th.

Jackson has taken a major step forward as a passer this season. Many think he could be the next Mike Vick. It’s possible Jackson’s stock could rise and carry him into the top of the draft. But if it doesn’t, the Giants could have a unique opportunity: Trade down, and amass extra picks, then grab Jackson later in the first round to develop. If the Giants really play their cards right, they may be able to figure out a way to get two first-round picks this season.

"His improvement has shown up on tape this season," Kiper writes. "Jackson's completion percentage is up (60.3 from 56.2 in 2016), he has put on some good weight, and his delivery looks more fluid. He has done all of that while retaining his dynamic athleticism and speed. Jackson is a gifted athlete, but it's going to take some time before he's ready to start in the NFL."

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2017/10/could_lamar_jackson_be_giants_qb_answer_in_2018_nf.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Drakew
I love talking Lamar in the NFL. It's a fascinating case study. Historically, what Lamar does has not worked in the NFL and that's a fact. QB evasiveness in the NFL has historically been one of the least important traits in an NFL QB (Lamars biggest strength.) And reading coverage (Lamars biggest weekness) has been the most imporatant trait. Not to mention, historically running QBs have short careers riddled with injury. However, here's the thing, what if it works? What if Lamar is the guy that can do what the others failed at doing and it translates to the NFL. Then anyone who passes will have passed on maybe the most transcendent player ever.

You understand that before he went to prison Michael Vick was a All Pro/Pro Bowl QB and many of what you said they said the same about Marcus Mariota...who went 2nd Overall to Tennessee...this is Mel Kiper on Lamar Jackson this past week...and remember he does actually talk to ppl in the NFL...also remember QB shoot up draft board...last year as an example Pat Mahomes of Texas Tech and Mitchell Trubisky From UNC ...Kiper:

The next quarterback on his big board is reigning Heisman Trophy winner Lamar Jackson of Louisville. Jackson is ranked 19th.

Jackson has taken a major step forward as a passer this season. Many think he could be the next Mike Vick. It’s possible Jackson’s stock could rise and carry him into the top of the draft. But if it doesn’t, the Giants could have a unique opportunity: Trade down, and amass extra picks, then grab Jackson later in the first round to develop. If the Giants really play their cards right, they may be able to figure out a way to get two first-round picks this season.

"His improvement has shown up on tape this season," Kiper writes. "Jackson's completion percentage is up (60.3 from 56.2 in 2016), he has put on some good weight, and his delivery looks more fluid. He has done all of that while retaining his dynamic athleticism and speed. Jackson is a gifted athlete, but it's going to take some time before he's ready to start in the NFL."

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2017/10/could_lamar_jackson_be_giants_qb_answer_in_2018_nf.html
I fully expect him to be drafted hopefully somewhere where he can learn. He is worth the risk. His physical traits are all there. Reading defenses, decision making and pin point accuracy are required in the NFL. That is where he still has a lot of work to do. He is still really young as a true Junior.

Reactions: The Public Enemy
I fully expect him to be drafted hopefully somewhere where he can learn. He is worth the risk. His physical traits are all there. Reading defenses, decision making and pin point accuracy are required in the NFL. That is where he still has a lot of work to do. He is still really young as a true Junior.

Fortunately for LJ he has some great improvement in those areas and nobody questions his work ethic....it is Night and Day from 2015 to 2017 in those areas.

NFL. com this morning

We asked five of our draft experts to provide us with their personal top-10 lists, ranking the QBs 1-10 based on their evaluations. From those, we aggregated an overall top-10 list by using a points system. A player received 10 points for a first-place vote, 9 points for second place and so on through one point for a 10th-place vote.

1. Lamar Jackson Louisville
Louisville limps into its bye week after going 1-3 in October, but it's not Jackson's fault. He continues to play at a ridiculous level, carrying the Cardinals' offense (he accounted for nearly 94 percent of the team's yards on Saturday), and his numbers would be even better with a more reliable supporting cast. There were at least two would-be TD passes dropped by UL receivers against Wake Forest. He leads the FBS with an average of 426.3 yards per game. That's a better output than 81 FBS teams are producing.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-qb-power-rankings-lamar-jackson-still-on-top

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT